• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 110 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I heard that Eddy Merckx remained in the pro field for a couple of seasons after he had lost his top level. He just wanted to race, - while others urged him to stop.
I'd say that's not entirely true. He didn't stretch his carreer that long.

1978:
Retirement after a handful of races due to financial issues at his new team. He still had to celebrate his 33rd birthday at that point.

1977:
1st: Tour Méditerranéen, stage Paris-Nice, stage Tour de Suisse, Tour du Condroz
2nd: stage Tour de France, stage Dauphiné, GP d'Isbergues, Circuit d l'Indre, Maël-Pestivien
4th: Zuri Metzgete
5th: Omloop Het Volk
6th: Tour de France, Liége-Bastogne-Liège

1976:
1st: Milano-Sanremo, Setmana Catalana, stage Tirreno-Adriatico, stage Tour de Romandie
2nd: Tirreno-Adriatico, Brabantse Pijl
3rd: Tour de Romandie
4th-5th-6th: World Championships, Paris-Roubaix, Liège-Bastogne-Liège, Flèche Wallonne
8th: Giro d'Italia

1975:
1st : Ronde van Vlaanderen, Liège-Bastogne-Lège, Milano-Sanremo, Amstel Gold Race, 2 stages Tour de France
2nd: Tour de France (lost yellow after a punch by a spectator), Paris-Roubaix, Paris-Nice, Tour de Suisse

1978:
Retirement after a handful of races due to financial issues at his new team. He still had to celebrate his 33rd birthday at that point.

1977:
1st: Tour Méditerranéen, stage Paris-Nice, stage Tour de Suisse, Tour du Condroz
2nd: stage Tour de France, stage Dauphiné, GP d'Isbergues, Circuit d l'Indre, Maël-Pestivien

1976:
1st: Milano-Sanremo, Setmana Catalana, stage Tirreno-Adriatico, stage Tour de Romandie
4th-5th-6th: World Championships, Paris-Roubaix, Liège-Bastogne-Liège, Flèche Wallonne

1975:
1st : Ronde van Vlaanderen, Liège-Bastogne-Lège, Milano-Sanremo, Amstel Gold Race, 2 stages Tour de France
2nd: Tour de France (lost yellow after a punch by a spectator), Paris-Roubaix, Paris-Nice, Tour de Suisse

Thanks. I guess those who said it counted 1977 in as a weak year (for his standards).

Reactions: Wvv

1978:

1977:

1976:

1975:
Pretty big contrast with Cav who has one stage podium in the last 2 years at the much coveted Tour of Turkey.

It's great if he still loves racing. But if he's performing like this and still wants to continue it screams desperation to me. Add that he has a family and it just gets a little sad to me.

Cavendish wanting to continue for free does not sound good
Everyone saying he loves riding his bike and he has alot to offer
But he is taking a place that a youngster could have .
He could be brand ambassador fora team or PR representative for the sport
He could do comms or coaching

There are plenty of sporifs, charity rides and amateur races out there for Cav if he wants to ride ...many charities would love to have him

Not being able to let go doesnt sound good and just prolongs the inevitable
He is not at WT level and need s to give it up and find a new path

TRENDING THREADS