• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 146 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
wonder if today's accident will affect the contract?

Hopefully not! Would be a bad way to go. I think as a rider that part is done, the big holdup is with him wanting to be on staff after. Lefevere might not want to acknowledge it but he does have a huge image. Anything he does he’d be in the news. As a team director though he might be better off starting as the sprinters coach or trainer unless he’s more in charge for the sprint stages. I don’t know how much knowledge he would have for GC.

Reactions: jmdirt
Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
Hopefully not! Would be a bad way to go. I think as a rider that part is done, the big holdup is with him wanting to be on staff after. Lefevere might not want to acknowledge it but he does have a huge image. Anything he does he’d be in the news. As a team director though he might be better off starting as the sprinters coach or trainer unless he’s more in charge for the sprint stages. I don’t know how much knowledge he would have for GC.

What I read does not really make the situation very clear to me, but yeah, the rider part seems the uncomplicated thing, it's about what comes after that. To me it all sounded like "he wants to be part of the staff without a specific role, more to learn about the whole background/ managing thing, and he wants to be paid for that and PL doesn't want to pay him for that because he sees it as only of value for Cav, but not for him (or at least he pretends that's how he sees it)".
?

What I read does not really make the situation very clear to me, but yeah, the rider part seems the uncomplicated thing, it's about what comes after that. To me it all sounded like "he wants to be part of the staff without a specific role, more to learn about the whole background/ managing thing, and he wants to be paid for that and PL doesn't want to pay him for that because he sees it as only of value for Cav, but not for him (or at least he pretends that's how he sees it)".
?
Wants a job like Brian Holm, show up at the odd race and hang out with fashion designers and musicians the rest of the time

?
That’s the gist of it. It hasn’t been said what role he wants to be by either party just that PL doesn’t want to pay him for him teaching Cav. But value wise he’s a big name, even if he isn’t as big on the Flemish side as Boonen or Evenepoel.

"Contract negotiations with Lefevere have been drawn out but he will stay with the team in 2022 when it will be known as QuickStep-AlphaVinyl.
Lefevere said in September that they had reached an agreement on wages and bonuses but they remained stuck on Cavendish's desire to transition into management after possible retirement at the end of the 2022 season.
"I'm not going to drop Mark. I won't let him choke. We are his team and we take care of him," Lefevere told Het Laaste Nieuws, explaining how he offered to help Cavendish when he eventually leaves the Ghent hospital."

It is rumored Monday when they were meeting was for Cav to sign the contract and he will return when he is more recovered.

Reactions: jmdirt

"At the start of the year, I knew," he says. "If I could have gambled, I would have gambled on me winning this year.
"I was on a bike that fitted me. That's fundamental. That was the start. I was thinking, 'I can do my job.'
"I was in an environment I loved being in last time," he continues. "With that formula I know I've got the best opportunity to win. And I know from the past that when I have the best opportunity, I can convert that."

"That sprint was one of my best of the week," he says. "From that moment I had no questions at all. I'd had some results earlier in the year and was happy with how I'd been sprinting. But in Turkey, that's when I knew I could win at the highest level. Not just winning bike races, but at the highest level.
"I know Turkey's not the highest level but remember Jasper Philipsen was the most consistent sprinter of the year. He's a *** good bike rider, that kid. André [Greipel] was there and he's not shabby. It wasn't the Tour de France, but it doesn't matter who's there. You know from how you are sprinting, well, I do, if I can be competitive and at what level. I knew there that I couldn't just win bike races, but I could take scalps.
"I took that confidence from the first day to the second day. Even when the gap opened on the second day, I stayed calm, used André to move up, went round him, didn't panic and I knew I could do it. Before, I didn't know I could do it and that's when you hesitate."

Then he is blaming Rickaert for Paris boxing in.

“Cavendish's perception is that Philipsen's leadout man Jonas Rickaert deliberately boxed him in. It ensured Cavendish lost (and also, to Cavendish's mind, also ensured defeat for Philipsen).”

• Wow
Reactions: noob
  • Wow
Reactions: noob and SHAD0W93

His contract must be done with PL for him to say his start to next season is pushed back. As much as I’d like him to go to the Tour as I think he could win in the first week before he got tired, it would be cool for him to do Giro and Vuelta whole Jakobsen tries his hand at Tour.

His contract must be done with PL for him to say his start to next season is pushed back. As much as I’d like him to go to the Tour as I think he could win in the first week before he got tired, it would be cool for him to do Giro and Vuelta whole Jakobsen tries his hand at Tour.

Could see them both going to the Tour, with Cavendish getting a couple of chances.

They are probably both on a "long-list" at least for it.

Could see them both going to the Tour, with Cavendish getting a couple of chances.

They are probably both on a "long-list" at least for it.
There are very few real sprintstages in the Tour next year, so it seems highly unlikely that Quickstep will send 2 sprinters who can't get over a hill there. I would be surprised if they choose Cavendish over Jakobsen for it barring accidents for the latter.

There are very few real sprintstages in the Tour next year, so it seems highly unlikely that Quickstep will send 2 sprinters who can't get over a hill there. I would be surprised if they choose Cavendish over Jakobsen for it barring accidents for the latter.
Yeah Jakobsen should I’m theory be able to get over the mountains easier. No way they take two as that’s asking for trouble even if the team was built for them and not including Evenepoel and/or Ala. You’d get AF or a Lampre going on.

I think it’d be good. He hasn’t raced either since 2013 and 2011. Jakobsen is the younger rider and you’d want to know now if he can win at the Tour or focus on other GTs.

TRENDING THREADS