• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 151 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I've counted five countries for Cipollini, but I may have missed one. He's also won two GT stages which started in the Netherlands, but finished somewhere else.

Giro: Italy, Germany, Luxembourg
Tour: France
Vuelta: Spain

Robbie McEwen has six.

Giro: Italy, France, Belgium
Tour: France, Luxembourg, England, Belgium, Germany

Greipel is also on six.

Switzerland, the Netherlands, France, Spain, Italy and Belgium.

Contador was a gifted stage to Rujano away of also having won in 6 different countries.

I'll start with the disclaimer that 'answers' are always subject to the question(s) asked, and in an international sport like cycling things can be blurred due to language/translation.

Brian Holm saying that Cav "blew" his chance to break EM's record makes Brian seen like a dude who doesn't understand bike racing, or a guy who is jealous of the rider he is talking about. He doesn't sound like a good team DS, but if you listen to his boss Patti spew, then he fits right in.

Cav not being in the Tour is a shame. I haven't followed this season results much but didn't he just win a sprint stage? If he just won a stage doesn't it show he's still got enough motor to win a Tour stage? I'm all up for the conspiracy theories. How bout the organizers don't want him breaking the record? Think they put pressure on the team to leave Cav off?

Cav not being in the Tour is a shame. I haven't followed this season results much but didn't he just win a sprint stage? If he just won a stage doesn't it show he's still got enough motor to win a Tour stage? I'm all up for the conspiracy theories. How bout the organizers don't want him breaking the record? Think they put pressure on the team to leave Cav off?
He’s just an older rider while the team has a young rider that has won the most this year to build around. It is as easy as that.

"Nothing" is ever just that, if It were that simple, Froome would not be going to the Tour.
Cav is also not getting paid the same amount as Froome with the team not having much to build around for their future. Cav could absolutely win in the first week but he doesn’t seem to have the endurance anymore as the race goes on. But they have many quality riders to pick from. Full Quickstep roster rider per rider > Israel.

He was on the podium in Paris last year and won Green and finished Giro, so endurance isn't an issue imo. Nobody knowns how Jakobsen's endurance is, he's never race Le Tour yet, or how he'll cope with the pressure, but, I think it's correct he should be given the opportunity as on paper, he's had a slight better spring, even though I think Cavendinsh the more-likely winner and bigger story for the sport itself.

He was on the podium in Paris last year and won Green and finished Giro, so endurance isn't an issue imo. Nobody knowns how Jakobsen's endurance is, he's never race Le Tour yet, or how he'll cope with the pressure, but, I think it's correct he should be given the opportunity as on paper, he's had a slight better spring, even though I think Cavendinsh the more-likely winner and bigger story for the sport itself.

You'd think the sponsors would be wanting the media attention surrounding Cav. I still dont get this decision when you've got an all-time great who can still win stagers sitting on the sidelines. I'm still hoping something changes and he gets put in at the last minute. If thats even possible?

Reactions: jmdirt
Not endurance that he won’t finish the race. Endurance that he will be competitive at the end. Obviously last year he got boxed in and they didn’t compete in any other one since week 2. But he’s older and with the Giro, Demare was getting the better of him. I’d love for him to go and it would be HUGE press if he won(which I think he can) but there is the blow back on Jakobsen that he could become miffed.

Reactions: jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS