• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
function said:
2011 stage 1, De Panne: Greipel (worth a watch!)

Yeh I have seen that and full credit to Greipel but it doesnt change the facts that he gets all (asides from 1) of his wins from sprints so you cant have a go at Cav for winning in sprints if its what all the other sprinters do as well.

Also according to most people on this forum, if greipel then has the ability to win like he did in De Panne then why doesnt he?
Why does he just wait for the sprint in every stage?

Froome19 said:
Also according to most people on this forum, if greipel then has the ability to win like he did in De Panne then why doesnt he?
Why does he just wait for the sprint in every stage?
Well, last year Greipel did some monster pulls for Gilbert in races like M-SR, Eneco Tour etc. He also attacked a few times in P-R. Of course, he is a sprinter so that's how he'll usually win races, but he's also strong enough to win from breakaways or assist a teammate (unlike Cavendish).

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Reading the article and reading about the bottle made me think of one thing: the tour de suisse crash he more or less caused. I just have to say harden the **** up World Champ..

Red Rick said:
I admit there are a lot of reasons to dislike the guy, but i'm still a bik fan of his. He may sound arrogant to you, but i think he's honoust and he's loyal to his teammates. I also bet that outclimbs 98% of the amateurs and 100% of this forum
Well, I bet I'm a better translator than Cavendish. Not sure how his doing better than me in his chosen profession is relevant, honestly.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
maltiv said:
Well, last year Greipel did some monster pulls for Gilbert in races like M-SR, Eneco Tour etc. He also attacked a few times in P-R. Of course, he is a sprinter so that's how he'll usually win races, but he's also strong enough to win from breakaways or assist a teammate (unlike Cavendish).

Yeh i dont deny that but I was replying to el p who said that Cav's wins werent good, so I compared it to Greipel's wins.
Besides sprinting of course Greipel is better

Sep 28, 2011
cqmanager.net
Cav is good at three things.

1. Sprinting/winning for 15sec if his fat azz is delivered by a dedicated team to the 200m mark.
2. Tweeting
3. Whining

He sucks at everything else and I feel sorry for guys like Bernie Eisel that are dedicated servants while ruining their own careers just to make a few bucks by helping this overweight one-trick-pony. He is a complete disgrace for the sport and I think it is sad that he was voted some kind of sport personality of the year in the UK.

CQM

I wouldn't be inviting him round to my house for dinner.

I don't particularly like watching the races he wins. As a Cav win means that HTC/Great Britain/Sky have sucked the life out of a race.

But he is a very talented sprinter. Not just speed, but how he positions himself in a crowded dash.

I don't get all the hoo-hah about him. He does seem like a bit of a pr!ck, but most of the problems seem to be from a while back when he was very young and had shot to fame very quickly. I did a few silly things when I was 22, too.

I like the way he thanks his team mates when he wins. Most of his team-mates like him, which makes me think either cyclists are poor judges of a man's character, or he might actually not be too bad at all.

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
CQmanager said:

1. Sprinting/winning for 15sec if his fat azz is delivered by a dedicated team to the 200m mark.
2. Tweeting
3. Whining

He sucks at everything else and I feel sorry for guys like Bernie Eisel that are dedicated servants while ruining their own careers just to make a few bucks by helping this overweight one-trick-pony. He is a complete disgrace for the sport and I think it is sad that he was voted some kind of sport personality of the year in the UK.

CQM

He can ride a decent prologue, too. He won the prologue of the Tour of Romandy in 2008 or 2009, I think.

And he does look good in the Rainbow jersey. ;)

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
CQmanager said:

2. Tweeting
3. Whining

CQM
It really isnt fair to have a got at someone like that when you dont know them at all.

Lets get a few things straight. First of all Cav is incredibly able on his own to deliver and sprint he has done it numerous times especially at the worlds last year.

Bernie and him are best of friends and I dont understand what Cav has got to do with Bernie earning more money. Bernie could have got a much greater leadership role in other teams very possibly with higher pay as well (comes with the role).
I read in Cyclesport that the reporter actually met Cav when he went out to buy things for (i think it was) Bak's new baby and he is apparently a very caring team mate who is genuinely liked by his fellows.

He is not overweight and anyone who claims he is, is just basing it on what they "heard".

Correct that he was voted Sports Personality Of the Year in Britain and indeed I dont think anybody on this forum really has a go at Cav's personality, he is very outgoing very vibrant and pretty funny just read his texts, he is certainly not selfish and if he whines a bit too much, its just his disappointement being expressed due to the fact that he is very outgoing and can really hold it in.

Its just because he gets very animated after races, for example after the Giro stage when he claimed that Pettachi rode across him he was infuriated after the stage and was making angry gestures etc.. Yet he admitted in the evening that he had jsut got a bit overexcited in the heat of it all and indeed that can happen to the best of us.
If you had watched SPOTY you would have also seen cav's softer side and seen how he truly is a very nice individual.

Finnaly though he may not be a complete cyclist and may just be protected by team mates etc etc the only reason he does that is that it is the best way to win, we were all taught to be the best we can werent we? well he is.

Also he has also shown some impressive perfomances down the years like last years TDF stage where he beat Gilbert and MSR 2009 and the Worlds amongst others, which more than i can say for most sprinters.

Also you should watch him in TTT he truly bosses it and is a great TTT rider. Indeed he rated his Vuelta TTT win in 2010 as I think his most satisfiying moment in his career (Before the worlds). Once again he does what he is good at and he always does try his best, that cant be disputed

Sep 28, 2011
cqmanager.net
Froome19 said:
It really isnt fair to have a got at someone like that when you dont know them at all.

Lets get a few things straight. First of all Cav is incredibly able on his own to deliver and sprint he has done it numerous times especially at the worlds last year.

Bernie and him are best of friends and I dont understand what Cav has got to do with Bernie earning more money. Bernie could have got a much greater leadership role in other teams very possibly with higher pay as well (comes with the role).
I read in Cyclesport that the reporter actually met Cav when he went out to buy things for (i think it was) Bak's new baby and he is apparently a very caring team mate who is genuinely liked by his fellows.

He is not overweight and anyone who claims he is, is just basing it on what they "heard".

Correct that he was voted Sports Personality Of the Year in Britain and indeed I dont think anybody on this forum really has a go at Cav's personality, he is very outgoing very vibrant and pretty funny just read his texts, he is certainly not selfish and if he whines a bit too much, its just his disappointement being expressed due to the fact that he is very outgoing and can really hold it in.

Its just because he gets very animated after races, for example after the Giro stage when he claimed that Pettachi rode across him he was infuriated after the stage and was making angry gestures etc.. Yet he admitted in the evening that he had jsut got a bit overexcited in the heat of it all and indeed that can happen to the best of us.
If you had watched SPOTY you would have also seen cav's softer side and seen how he truly is a very nice individual.

Finnaly though he may not be a complete cyclist and may just be protected by team mates etc etc the only reason he does that is that it is the best way to win, we were all taught to be the best we can werent we? well he is.

Also he has also shown some impressive perfomances down the years like last years TDF stage where he beat Gilbert and MSR 2009 and the Worlds amongst others, which more than i can say for most sprinters.

Also you should watch him in TTT he truly bosses it and is a great TTT rider. Indeed he rated his Vuelta TTT win in 2010 as I think his most satisfiying moment in his career (Before the worlds). Once again he does what he is good at and he always does try his best, that cant be disputed

You may be surprised but I do know a bit about Cav and I even read his book which I think is pretty good. Yes, he is nice to his teammates because he does realize that he needs them otherwise he wouldnt win 90% of the races he won so he needs to make sure they get financially rewarded for sacrificing their own careers.

He is a better-than-average time trialist on shorter courses as he got a pretty good track background and I dont take that away from him. I dont know what SPOTY is as I live in the US. That being said, he is still a one-trick-cocky-pony and if he did not have the "double-kick" he would be still working at the bank where he was before he got the pro contract.

All in all, I dont care if he wins 100 more TDF stages and I dont enjoy watching races where he gets delivered to 200m mark by his team. I personally even believe that some other sprinters will soon be able to beat him on regular basis and then we will hear even more whining and finger pointing from this fat arrogant ***.

CQM

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
CQmanager said:
All in all, I dont care if he wins 100 more TDF stages and I dont enjoy watching races where he gets delivered to 200m mark by his team. I personally even believe that some other sprinters will soon be able to beat him on regular basis and then we will hear even more whining and finger pointing from this fat arrogant ***.

I undestand that you may not like sprinters in general but is it fair to then take it out on Cavendish?
CQmanager said:

2. Tweeting
3. Whining

CQM
Also it doesnt excuse the fact that this post is factually incorrect and that I understand you dont know him but I dont understand how from what you have heard you can deduce anything concerning his personality. OK maybe I am as in the dark as you are (doubtful as I read tonnes of stuff from Cav as it is the only cycling things you can find in the press(+wiggins)) but to say he is not a nice guy......:(

@Froome

It's well known he is not a popular guy in the peloton. That's has been stated several times from several riders in interviews and autobiographies. His media handling is awful. I mean, of course it sucks to answer the same questions after 7 hours ride on the bike but that comes with the job and the money. In the end the journalist he answers is the one creating awareness of the sport and eventually paying his salaries. He is super arrogant and acting like a little child when things are not going his way. That's why he is such a good sprinter. I don't dislike Cav. He's a great sport when the first thing he does after a win is to thank his entire team. I'm no fan either though. But let's not fool ourselves here. He is not popular among many riders in the peloton, not popular among many cycling enthusiasts and not very popular among non-british media. What british media and Wiggins say mean fcuk all. I'm sorry, but it does.

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Froome19 said:
Yeh I have seen that and full credit to Greipel but it doesnt change the facts that he gets all (asides from 1) of his wins from sprints so you cant have a go at Cav for winning in sprints if its what all the other sprinters do as well.

2011 TDF Stage 13 Hushovd
2011 Spanish RR Rojas

There are more.

@ Froome Give it up fella its the Cav Depreciation Thread

Haters%20Gonna%20Hate.gif_thumb.jpg

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
CQmanager said:
You may be surprised but I do know a bit about Cav and I even read his book which I think is pretty good. Yes, he is nice to his teammates because he does realize that he needs them otherwise he wouldnt win 90% of the races he won so he needs to make sure they get financially rewarded for sacrificing their own careers.

He is a better-than-average time trialist on shorter courses as he got a pretty good track background and I dont take that away from him. I dont know what SPOTY is as I live in the US. That being said, he is still a one-trick-cocky-pony and if he did not have the "double-kick" he would be still working at the bank where he was before he got the pro contract.

CQM

What av u achieved m8y what an absolute troll pettachi has a leadout gripel a leadout farrar a leadout whats the deal and cav's gt more talent in his baby toe than you i hate flat stages im a MTF fanboy but to say what you juat said lol when cav one the worlds that has to be the best sprint ever ALL ON IS OWN ASWELL IN LAST KM

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
maltiv said:

Dude id av loved to be a fly on your wall when cav joined sky cuz hell achieve far more than eddy

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
CQmanager said:

2. Tweeting
3. Whining

CQM

again stick to your game you run you seem to have a lot of tim on your hand's or get a JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

TRENDING THREADS