• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
RownhamHill said:
This is a genuine question, and not trolling - I didn't know Guardini got removed from the Giro until I just read this thread, and I haven't the time now to go googling.

Why did Guardini and co get removed from the Giro?

I'd like to know too, the only link I've found went to a site in Italian which I can't read.

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
This is what is reported in velonews - and it's more than on CN. I don't know what we are supposed to learn from reading this:

Dominique Rollin (FDJ-BigMat), Robbie Hunter (Garmin-Barracuda), Ivan Velasco (Euskaltel-Euskadi) and Thursday’s stage winner Andrea Guardini (Farnese Vini-Selle Italia) were all kicked out of the Giro by the race jury for what appeared to be taking pulls from team cars early in the race.

Though the jury didn’t identify the infraction — it cited a UCI rule that states a rider “who commits a serious fault” can be removed — it appears that riders were spotted holding on too long to “sticky water bottles.”

I read somewhere else that he was kicked out for drafting behind his team's car on a descent, which would be harsh if true. I suppose that's what Pistolero means, but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere and it doesn't make a lot of sense anyway.

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Exclusive in The Sun today with Cav. He says he is trying to re-shape his body ahead of the Olympics and is four kilos under his normal race weight.

It'll be interesting to see how that affects his endurance, climbing and top speed at the tour.

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
He said: “I am the one who who crosses the line but that’s purely because of my role.

“I’m the sprinter, I am able to give it a final kick at the last push.

“But the entire race is a precise piece of teamwork in which everyone has a vital role.

“It is thanks to the superb team around me that I can get in that sweet spot, where I can let go and be the first man over.

“If I win, the medal won’t be for me, it will be for the team, but most of all it will be for Britain.”

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Ragerod said:
Exclusive in The Sun today with Cav. He says he is trying to re-shape his body ahead of the Olympics and is four kilos under his normal race weight.

It'll be interesting to see how that affects his endurance, climbing and top speed at the tour.

With the team supporting Wiggins in the mountains he may not have Bernie Eisel and others for support as much. He will have to do more work in the mountains himself, so it's a good move to try to get down in weight heading into the tour.

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Interesting article. He said earlier this year that he was going to lose some weight and sacrifice a bit of top end speed for the ability to get over Box Hill with the pack. This adds some details

Ragerod said:

Well after today's overall win of a stage race without winning a stage so far it seems to be going ok, looking good for the Olympics hopefully .

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Cav loses 4kgs...

One of two things... He sure didn't lose it from that fat mouth of his and if he lost 4kg's, maybe he should just look behind him... it's still there hanging off that fat *** of his.

It's been kinda quiet in CavLand but it's only a matter of time before that sheep bred manx moron says/does something really dumb again.

Chapeau that he won the Ster... got bent and drilled by the Gorilla and The Big Kit however...

Jens Voigt tweets from the ZLM Toer
Long bustransfer here, so i just keep writing.had an eyeopening experience yesterday in that hilly stage. Was like a little Liege Bastogne.

We are on the famous" la redoute" climb and 2 of my teammates just attacked and went of the front. Of course some counterattacks behind...

I try to keep them in check and its pretty sticky already, and there is 5riders just ahead of me, and then i look to side and guess what???

I see the worldchampion Marc Cavendish in his yellow jersey shifting 2gears bigger and just jumping to the counterattack, totally easy!!!

I could see how Cav thought" i know i am supposed to be a sprinter, but i dont care!!" And he crossed the Hilltop in first place.

I mean the biggest names in cycling used to fight and suffer with this hard and famous climb and then Cav comes along

Cav totally made this climb his bi..atch, i was sooo totally impressed to eyewitness that!! He is a champ, and watch out for him at olymics!

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
troll alert!!!!!!!!

Mongolian Torque said:
One of two things... He sure didn't lose it from that fat mouth of his and if he lost 4kg's, maybe he should just look behind him... it's still there hanging off that fat *** of his.

It's been kinda quiet in CavLand but it's only a matter of time before that sheep bred manx moron says/does something really dumb again.

Chapeau that he won the Ster... got bent and drilled by the Gorilla and The Big Kit however...

looks like somebody has been double dosing on the stupid pills!!
take two aspirin
get plenty of fluids
lots of rest
you should have recovered by morning

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
rickshaw said:
looks like somebody has been double dosing on the stupid pills!!
take two aspirin
get plenty of fluids
lots of rest
you should have recovered by morning

+1 has to be one of the most stupid posts of all time.

andrew_s said:
Jens Voigt tweets from the ZLM Toer

Yup, for all the derisive mocking of his struggling to beat time limits in the last two years, we forget that back in 2009 he could win stages that looked like this:

2009_tour_de_france_stage19_profile.jpg

Though the run in for the Olympic RR is flat, Cavendish knows that riders will be gunning for him on the hills trying to drop him, so it looks like we may see 2009-durability Cav back soon, even if in order to do so it necessitates a period without 2009-pace Cav.

The 'best' sprinter is always hard to judge, we always get this debate with the maillot vert. It's no good being the fastest sprinter in the field if you're not durable enough to make it over a speed bump (see: Quaranta, Guardini), but then it's no good being able to make it to the end over a bunch of obstacles if you're never the fastest guy (see: Rojas, post-2009 Bennati).

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Mongolian Torque said:

Do you realise how pathetic and miserable you sound?

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Yup, for all the derisive mocking of his struggling to beat time limits in the last two years, we forget that back in 2009 he could win stages that looked like this:

2009_tour_de_france_stage19_profile.jpg

Pretty epic win, did you see the documentary on HTC where Cavendish was explaining that he had to pretend he wasn't suffering on the last climb to dissuade anyone from attacking? Finally a minor point I don't really buy someone from the Isle of Man not being able to climb, I think any race on the island will include a fair amount of climbing.

Hawkwood said:
Pretty epic win, did you see the documentary on HTC where Cavendish was explaining that he had to pretend he wasn't suffering on the last climb to dissuade anyone from attacking? Finally a minor point I don't really buy someone from the Isle of Man not being able to climb, I think any race on the island will include a fair amount of climbing.

Why on earth would I want to do that?

I guess they say you should know your enemy...

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Why on earth would I want to do that?

I guess they say you should know your enemy...

Sorry thought I was detecting a warming of your attitude towards Cavendish, almost to the point where I thought you were becoming a closet fan!!!!

Hawkwood said:
Sorry thought I was detecting a warming of your attitude towards Cavendish, almost to the point where I thought you were becoming a closet fan!!!!

I don't like Cavendish, nor do I make any secret of that, but I do feel that sometimes he's given a bit of unfair treatment by fans.

He gives us plenty of reasons not to like him, there's no need for fans to invent more or to call him out when he's said something well within reason.

HTC are dead, and I don't miss them. If the year 2012 has done one good thing for cycling (which is about all it's done) it's given us a year without Bob Stapleton and his joyless, soulless evil.