• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 27, 2010
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
I agree, think he wil go for the team sprint or Keirin in 4 years time.

There is no way Cav could ever match the track sprinters, they are completely different animals who focus purely on strength and speed, Cav wouldn't stand a chance. His only hope would be the TP or the omnium.

woodie said:
There is no way Cav could ever match the track sprinters, they are completely different animals who focus purely on strength and speed, Cav wouldn't stand a chance. His only hope would be the TP or the omnium.

It depends on how much he wants it. It's obvious he has that fantastic change of gears in the sprint but he would need to put abit more muscle on to be really competitive in the track sprints. That of course would mean his recent attitude of losing weight to be more competetive over the hilly parcours would be out the window.

He may even have to just concentrate on the early GT sprints and not even attempt to get over the big mountains later in the GT's if he wanted track sprinting that much.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
It's got to be pretty enticing right now, with all the nation's attention on the Olympic track team. Especially with Cav bearing the brunt of GB's "failure" at the road race. We'll see what he's doing in 4 years. If he's on Team Sky, maybe he'll try it. If he's on another team, well I would structure any contract with massive bonuses for green jerseys, TDF stage wins, and other inducements that would keep him focussed on team objectives and not Team GB objectives.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
It depends on how much he wants it. It's obvious he has that fantastic change of gears in the sprint but he would need to put abit more muscle on to be really competitive in the track sprints. That of course would mean his recent attitude of losing weight to be more competetive over the hilly parcours would be out the window.

He may even have to just concentrate on the early GT sprints and not even attempt to get over the big mountains later in the GT's if he wanted track sprinting that much.

If Cav wanted to be a track sprinter he would have to give up road racing for at least 2 years to build the required muscle by spending time in the gym and dedicating himself to track work while also sacrificing all his endurance to develop the pure speed, and even then it probably wouldn't work.

While road riders can generally slip into track endurance events such as the pursuit, points race, madison and so forth they couldn't do it for the sprints, and even the enduro's are spending a couple of months on the track before worlds and Olympics to get ready.

Road sprinting and track sprinting are completely different and there has to be a decision to do one or the other. I saw Mark Renshaw race against national level aussie track sprinters and when they kicked he was no where, even though he is one of the top ten road sprinters in the world.

I suggest you do some reading on the different training and energy systems needed for road and track sprinters. Cav's only chance on the track is the TP or the omnium

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
King Boonen said:
I'm pretty sure Cav is just getting caught in the hype and is really disappointed to again miss out on a medal. Would he really give up the chance of breaking Merckx's record for TDF stage wins to ride track? I have massive doubts.

Shouldn't he have Merckx's record before Rio?

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Four Winds said:
Peter Kennaugh is 5 ft 8. Maybe that half inch makes all the difference:)

I/2 an inch doesn't make any difference but 7 inches certainly does which is why Wiggins wanted Christian Knees in the Tour squad.

JimmyFingers said:
12 to go, he could wrap that up in two tours given the right opportunity, i.e. if he changes teams

Yes, and Sky should be happy to let him go now for a couple of years in exchange for returning in 2015. 2008-2011 he had a 5wins/Tour record, let him go somewhere with full support to get back to that sort of return rate plus free up two domestique places for Wiggins/Froome. Then he comes back in 2015 and has a lighter road season building to 2016 for the omnium.

But most likely once the Olympics is over and he's back to being a superstar on the roads of Europe he'll forget about the track.

King Boonen said:
I'm pretty sure Cav is just getting caught in the hype and is really disappointed to again miss out on a medal. Would he really give up the chance of breaking Merckx's record for TDF stage wins to ride track? I have massive doubts.

During that chat on Sky Sports News, he said - after announcing his desire to go back to track to get a gold medal - that he intends to race the TdFs between now and Rio. He did specify he's going to track as the Rio Road Race won't suit him.

woodie said:
If Cav wanted to be a track sprinter he would have to give up road racing for at least 2 years to build the required muscle by spending time in the gym and dedicating himself to track work while also sacrificing all his endurance to develop the pure speed, and even then it probably wouldn't work.

While road riders can generally slip into track endurance events such as the pursuit, points race, madison and so forth they couldn't do it for the sprints, and even the enduro's are spending a couple of months on the track before worlds and Olympics to get ready.

Road sprinting and track sprinting are completely different and there has to be a decision to do one or the other. I saw Mark Renshaw race against national level aussie track sprinters and when they kicked he was no where, even though he is one of the top ten road sprinters in the world.

I suggest you do some reading on the different training and energy systems needed for road and track sprinters. Cav's only chance on the track is the TP or the omnium

Agree with this. As an analogy, Mo Farah finished the 10k on Saturday night with a great sprint in the final lap that burnt off the rest of the field - he's clearly got the best kick of the 10,000 metre runners. So do you think if he changed his training he might take on the Jamaican chap in the 100 metres sprint next time around?

argyllflyer said:
Just seen this tweet from disgraced ex Sky TV presenter Richard Keys, posted at midday:

"Remember where you heard this 1st - Mark Cavendish will announce he's leaving Team Sky shortly - and he won't be alone."

He won't be alone ... Bernie will follow him to wherever he goes.
That much is no surprise.

argyllflyer said:
Just seen this tweet from disgraced ex Sky TV presenter Richard Keys, posted at midday:

"Remember where you heard this 1st - Mark Cavendish will announce he's leaving Team Sky shortly - and he won't be alone."

Froome? Boasson Hagen?

Well, we'll just have to wait and see I guess. More importantly, where will Cavendish go?

RownhamHill said:
Agree with this. As an analogy, Mo Farah finished the 10k on Saturday night with a great sprint in the final lap that burnt off the rest of the field - he's clearly got the best kick of the 10,000 metre runners. So do you think if he changed his training he might take on the Jamaican chap in the 100 metres sprint next time around?

Someone having the best kick after 9600 usually just means that they are the best 10 000 metre runner on the day since they have been tired out the least.

Its not like cycling where people hide behind wheels and can recoup a little energy on a flat runin to the finish. Slipstream is almost non existent. Look at how Rudisha took the front yesterday. In cycling that would be suicide, like Cancellara at msr. But in running he just flew away from them, because even at 26km/h, as they were running any slipstream they got behind him was negligable. 10k is more 20-21km/h so slipstream is even less. The guy who kicks hardest is the guy freshest at that point. Its not a sprint but simply maxing out what energy levels remain.

Its likfe if Cancellara and J Rod arrived together at the top of the Crostis and had a 8k pursuit race on the flat. Cancellara may have the better 8k pursuit, but he would be so knackered and J Rod would be fresh

The guy who came 4th for example, who you thought -pff what a crap kick he has, used to before his injury problems for example do stuff like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRCB-wrPIUY&t=3m35s