• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Matt Cooke, did he go there?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

sniper said:
maybe the moderators c/should chime in here.
what if, say, Vaughters' or Cancellara's or Sky's or UCI's lawyers write a letter to the moderators requesting poster xyz's personal data and emailaddress.
what happens?

A letter from the lawyers would mean nothing much. If they got a court order then the site would be comelled to give that information up. To get a court order they would have to show that they had a reasonable case.

djpbaltimore said:
Maxiton said:
Cancellara is a public figure. Accusing a public figure of moto-doping (or using a corked bat) is not quite the same as calling a much less public figure a coward. So, to answer your question, no, I'm not worried about it.

Of course, you shouldn't be worried about it. I already told you why opinions in this context are not typically considered defamatory. I think Cooke would also be considered a limited-person public figure in the instance of him commenting on Twitter about cycling. The requirement of 'actual malice' would apply to both Cooke and Cancellara in that event. Saying Gooner might be sued is stretching reality IMO.

Beware of importing US law into this discussion. May not apply.

May 14, 2010
Visit site

dwyatt said:
Maxiton said:
Night Rider said:
Maxiton said:
djpbaltimore said:
Opinions, especially those expressed in cyberspace, usually are not considered defamatory in courts.

Digger_forum, formerly on Twitter, was just hit with a libel charge, apparently.

Who is suing him?

No one knows for sure.

djpbaltimore said:
Maxiton said:
djpbaltimore said:
Opinions, especially those expressed in cyberspace, usually are not considered defamatory in courts.

Digger_forum, formerly on Twitter, was just hit with a libel charge, apparently.

Didn't you earlier claim that Cancellara was using a motor to win races? Are you fearing a summons arriving on your doorstep?

<snip>

Cancellara is a public figure. Accusing a public figure of moto-doping (or using a corked bat) is not quite the same as calling a much less public figure a coward. So, to answer your question, no, I'm not worried about it.

Honestly what you said "I can say with certainty that he was using motors on La Ronde and PR" would be a much easier libel case IMHO, as you clearly expressed it as a fact not an opnion. Thus in court you would have to prove it was true.

Except I didn't say that, someone else did.

MarkvW said:
djpbaltimore said:
Maxiton said:

Of course, you shouldn't be worried about it. I already told you why opinions in this context are not typically considered defamatory. I think Cooke would also be considered a limited-person public figure in the instance of him commenting on Twitter about cycling. The requirement of 'actual malice' would apply to both Cooke and Cancellara in that event. Saying Gooner might be sued is stretching reality IMO.

Beware of importing US law into this discussion. May not apply.

Good point. Probably doesn't apply.

May 14, 2010
Visit site

dwyatt said:
Maxiton said:
djpbaltimore said:

To be fair, anyone could bring a libel suit against anyone. It's not like a criminal case where they decide if there is a strong enough case before going to court.

True. But if the person served with the libel suit actually has said something libelous, then he's in a spot of trouble.

Maxiton said:
dwyatt said:
Maxiton said:
djpbaltimore said:

To be fair, anyone could bring a libel suit against anyone. It's not like a criminal case where they decide if there is a strong enough case before going to court.

True. But if the person served with the libel suit actually has said something libelous, then he's in a spot of trouble.

Not really. Generally removal of the remarks serves as remedy. Unless you can prove there has been some form of harm.

Unless you are Gooner and you can somehow get 'David Walsh', 'Lance Armstrong' and the word 'Coward' all into the same sentence without anyone ever actually saying it. That was truly impressive.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

thehog said:
Maxiton said:
dwyatt said:
Maxiton said:
djpbaltimore said:

Not really. Generally removal of the remarks serves as remedy. Unless you can prove there has been some form of harm.

Unless you are Gooner and you can somehow get 'David Walsh', 'Lance Armstrong' and the word 'Coward' all into the same sentence without anyone ever actually saying it. That was truly impressive.

You might want to check who brought Walsh and Lance up.

gooner said:
thehog said:
Maxiton said:
dwyatt said:
djpbaltimore said:
Opinions, especially

You might want to check who brought Walsh and Lance up.

Who said anything about bringing it up? I stated that you managed to get "coward", "insult", Walsh and Lance all into the same sentence. Impressive.

Time to move on Gooner.

glassmoon said:
thehog said:
mewmewmew13 said:
lost count of how many pages of bickering & drivel & speculation about digger's demise and cooke's disappearing tweets
:D

Gooner and his 'Internet rumours' ;)
&#63 so... do we have an outcome yet?

We have to wait for Gooner, to give us the latest internet rumour updates. In the meantime no one is allowed to follow the herd and accuse Froome of doping based on rumour :)

thehog said:
glassmoon said:
thehog said:
mewmewmew13 said:
lost count of how many pages of bickering & drivel & speculation about digger's demise and cooke's disappearing tweets

Gooner and his 'Internet rumours' ;)
&#63 so... do we have an outcome yet?

We have to wait for Gooner, to give us the latest internet rumour updates. In the meantime no one is allowed to follow the herd and accuse Froome of doping based on rumour :)

wtf Hog, this was one of the last few Froome-free threads!

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
It is my opinion that Matt Cooke is a f***ing coward, and not because he deleted his tweets but because he stood idly by as teammates, roommates and training partners doped up. Not until he had nothing left to gain from cycling, did he say anything about doping in the sport, and as far as I know, he's only done so on twitter, not to USADA. Knowing him personally, coward is about the best word to describe him, along with hypocrite. Carry on.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Re:

Magic Matt said:
It is my opinion that Matt Cooke is a f***ing coward, and not because he deleted his tweets but because he stood idly by as teammates, roommates and training partners doped up. Not until he had nothing left to gain from cycling, did he say anything about doping in the sport, and as far as I know, he's only done so on twitter, not to USADA. Knowing him personally, coward is about the best word to describe him, along with hypocrite. Carry on.

Yeah you're a tough guy huh.

A hypocritical tough guy.

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Magic Matt said:

Out of interest (aside from anonymously blowing off steam on this forum) can you tell us what steps you have taken to help the sport become a better, cleaner place. From your tone, you must've done a great deal, in order to feel the way you do about Matt ( and no doubt others). That is a serious question, not a criticism or dig. It would be good to know how easy/difficult you found the process, particularly given just how much evidence is actually required in order for any whistleblowing activity to gain traction (whilst avoiding libel actions and so forth).

Re:

Magic Matt said:

If you rock the boat, your career in cycling is soon over. Maybe he waited until he had nothing to lose and I can't blame him for that.

The ADAs have no desire to catch elite athletes and no budget to fight any appeals. They will go for the small fish and the rich teams and rich athletes will continue to get away with it.

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site

bobbins said:
Magic Matt said:

If you rock the boat, your career in cycling is soon over. Maybe he waited until he had nothing to lose and I can't blame him for that.

The ADAs have no desire to catch elite athletes and no budget to fight any appeals. They will go for the small fish and the rich teams and rich athletes will continue to get away with it.

Indeed. You would think that Magic Matt would know that, if he's been a high-level professional athlete. It's common knowledge after all.

Snapper19 said:
bobbins said:
Magic Matt said:

Indeed. You would think that Magic Matt would know that, if he's been a high-level professional athlete. It's common knowledge after all.

We need the good Garmin dopers to save the day... they'll go straight to USADA and sort out matters.

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site

thehog said:
We need the good Garmin dopers to save the day... they'll go straight to USADA and sort out matters.

David Millar - he'll help USADA see that cycling is really really clean these days, cleaner than all the other sports put together. And if some idiot comes out of the woodwork and claims otherwise, well he's just being silly and jealous cos he never (doped enough to) wear an Armani suit or listen to the rustle of a girlfriend in an Oscar de la Renta gown. And Armstrong - give it a couple of years and he'll be one of these valued advisers as well. Everybody will be saying sorry for giving the poor guy such a hard time.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
What the heck did Cooke tweet anyway?

He said the good Garmin dopers might have doped once before they were at Garmin. He also made fun of Tommy D and his infamous B sample.

Cooke finally manned up and deleted those tweets. No one should be making fun of Tommy D. No one.

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
I still don't understand why he deleted the tweets - if he's mentioning known facts then it wouldn't be libellous would it? Do you think somebody threatened him? Oh no, that never happens in cycling - I must be deranged for even thinking it.

May 22, 2011
Visit site

thehog said:
LaFlorecita said:
What the heck did Cooke tweet anyway?

He said the good Garmin dopers might have doped once before they were at Garmin. He also made fun of Tommy D and his infamous B sample.

Cooke finally manned up and deleted those tweets. No one should be making fun of Tommy D. No one.

Is this the cycling version of "Nobody puts Baby in a Corner" from Dirty Dancing ? (sorry couldn't resist). I always enjoy making fun of Tommy D. He makes it too easy IMHO....