• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Maxim Iglinsky positive for EPO

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Libertine Seguros said:
Darbopoietin? In 2014? Jesus Christ. That was detectable before it was well-known enough to have been put on the banned list twelve years ago. Why?

Even if Astana get barred, they'll have some quasi national team with all the riders there, that's what they did last year - a bunch of Astana Kazakhs racing for the national team.

With Nibali joining Vino4Ever on a 1 race loan

May 19, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Bah!! Correct. Bellarus is the home to Europe's last dictator.

Here's a fun story about how even the IOC has concerns about Khazakstan.

While the Kazakhstan city has performed strongly so far and is emerging as the favourite, they have identified failure to tackle a doping problems as a factor that has impacted strongly on various failed bids in recent times.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olymp...onference-it-is-serious-about-tackling-doping

Apparently, a nation so tainted even the IOC has problems. And yet, it's fascinating how little we actually know about the problems.

Oslo withdrew it's bid for the 2022 Winter Games today, so now only Almaty and Beijing are left for IOC to choose from. Thankfully China is now done with doping.

http://www.china.org.cn/world/Off_the_Wire/2014-08/20/content_33293350.htm

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Darbopoietin? In 2014? Jesus Christ. That was detectable before it was well-known enough to have been put on the banned list twelve years ago. Why?

Even if Astana get barred, they'll have some quasi national team with all the riders there, that's what they did last year - a bunch of Astana Kazakhs racing for the national team.

I've been rambling on about the NESP positives in several threads now. There have been (at least) three in Italy this year. One of them was a 18 year old cyclist, one was a 46 year old ironman, and the last one was Luca Benedetti, friend of Matteo Cappè and Riccardo Riccò, the two smartypants in that parking lot buying epo from a hospital worker. Makes me wonder if it was darbepoetin they were buying and selling on.

Dear Wiggo said:
I didn't check any of the other brands or version but this did make me smile...

Darbepoetin alfa has a longer circulating half-life and greater in vivo potency than recombinant human erythropoietin.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12691916

Same reason that you'll find very few CERA positives after di Luca - in July '08 we found out CERA was testable, and that stays detectable for several weeks. In the coming weeks and months we had a bunch of CERA positives from people who had been using and for whom it was still at a detectable level (Sella, Schumacher, Kohl etc.) then a few later on like di Luca (speculation given low levels and inconsistent positives among Giro tests suggest possibly blood bags of CERA-tainted blood?), but since then next to none. Once it was detectable, the long half-life of at least the original form of CERA rendered it almost useless as a doping aid.

Darbo has a longer half-life than regular EPO and was detectable almost immediately so it seems like a ridiculous drug to choose.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
fmk_RoI said:
As Laura Weislo has just noted on Twitter, the last six provisional suspensions have all been for EPO. That's over a ten week period. Not only is six on the trot odd, but six in ten weeks is extremely odd.

By4r6kPCUAA8XvC.png:large

There has been persistent talk of a new EPO test, with greater sensitivity, and the arrival of such a test could explain so many falling so quickly. Or old habits could just be dieing very, very hard. Or the CADF could have changed the rules and refocused their attention. Anything could be happening. Question, as always, is what?

The list is a work in progress. Some gets added, some taken out. Until last week Kreuziger and his bio passport was listed in between those EPO positives.

Kumar is probably a young fool (18 years old), not used to being tested. Ghaffari probably not so used to it either. Benedetti is a super fool (caught a few days after his comeback as a pro.) But the Iglinskiys and Rabottini are different stories. They should know the ins and outs of the system. But so should Di Luca and Santambrogio. When they were caught there were talk of improved testing. Then the season went by without very many more EPO positives. It felt more like Di Luca and Santambrogio were targeted and that the testers were using their brains for once.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
mmmm, this is not good news for Astana.....but come on, we were kinda expecting it after Valentin got done....But of course in pro-cycling noone knows what anyone else is doing so again it is all a big shock.....and has nothing to do with Vino or Martinelli running that team....

Doesn't this mean that Astana now have to pull the team out of some up coming races?

And I should add that of course Nibali won all those races clean - he hasn't tested positive so that equals clean. Glad to see that the UCI are hard at work cleaning up the sport...:rolleyes:

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Astana is a gift that keeps on giving :eek:

Hopefully, one day, every team with "non-negative" test result will be suspended at least for 6 months otherwise there is no end to this game.

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
What rings even more alarm bells for me is Nibali's lacklustre spring after which Vino wrote to him regarding his poor performance. After under-performing in the Dauphine he then went on to win the Tour decisively, albeit without Froome and Contador to rock the boat.

nomapnocompass said:
What rings even more alarm bells for me is Nibali's lacklustre spring after which Vino wrote to him regarding his poor performance. After under-performing in the Dauphine he then went on to win the Tour decisively, albeit without Froome and Contador to rock the boat.

What rings even more bells is Nibali's lacklustre performance after the Tour, skipping races, abandoning races, and being a shell of himself in the ones he finished.

May 9, 2011
Visit site
msjett said:
And I should add that of course Nibali won all those races clean - he hasn't tested positive so that equals clean. Glad to see that the UCI are hard at work cleaning up the sport...:rolleyes:

Nibali won Le Tour because he had no competitors.

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Great quote i just spotted on twitter, made me laugh, sums it up really.

Dan Wuori ‏@dwuori ·10 hrs10 hours ago
You know, I'm beginning to think that not everyone on Astana shares Vinokourov's impeccable ethics.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
As if it wasn't clear from the beginning that Astana under Vino would be an 'everything goes' enterprise.

It's such an ABC. UCI simply shouldn't allow guys like Vino/Riis/JV back into the game.

Vino attacks everyone said:
If anything this proves just how little efect EPO has. He won the LBL 2012 with ease while being clean, but now that he did EPO he sucked

How do you know he was clean? What is silly, if you use EPO properly, and time it, it can't/won't be detected, and the effects will last weeks.

He just doesn't know how to dose it properly, not does his brother.

TRENDING THREADS