• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mc Quaid " dumped "?

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
@inrng tweeted :
the Inner Ring ‏@inrng
The UCI's Pat McQuaid is no longer on WADA's Executive Committee, as spotted by @ap6cyc

Are people FINALLY waking up to the fact , that he taints , those he associates with ?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
skippy said:
@inrng tweeted :
the Inner Ring ‏@inrng
The UCI's Pat McQuaid is no longer on WADA's Executive Committee, as spotted by @ap6cyc

Are people FINALLY waking up to the fact , that he taints , those he associates with ?

sounds not uninteresting.

so has he been ditched by WADA?

what's the story, and what part of it is true?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
this might actually be news.

He's no longer listed as member of the Foundation Board either:
http://www.wada-ama.org/en/About-WADA/Governance/Foundation-Board/

According to Phat's own website, he is member of both the Executive Committee and the Foundation Board from 2009 to present:
Career in sports administration
National Coach Irish Cycling Federation (1981-1984) ; Board Member Irish Cycling Federation (1985-1994) ; President Irish Cycling Federation (1994-1998) ; Vice-president and Member of the Council of ASOIF (2009-...) ; Member of the Executive Committee and of the Foundation Board of WADA (2009-...) ; Member of the International Olympic Committee (2010-...)
http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI1/layout.asp?MenuId=MTI2NzU&LangId=1

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
Perhaps phat , not being able to keep his act together , is unaware of losing his way ?
Here are a few more ways of letting him know that the " Winds of change " are ablowing !
https://www.change.org/petitions/wo...cquaid-to-resign-and-cycling-to-be-cleaned-up

https://www.change.org/petitions/in...uaid-and-hein-verbruggen-from-cycling-forever

https://www.change.org/petitions/wa...e-the-means-for-a-sports-amnesty-in-australia

https://www.change.org/petitions/of...e-the-means-for-a-sports-amnesty-in-australia

Numbers will speak for themselves !

phat ,heinous & he who we are trying to forget , must be watching the " clinic ", amongst many sources , to determine their strategies !

Let's help them turn out the lights !

silverrocket said:
I was not aware he ever was part of WADA, and am shocked to find this out. How is (was) this not a conflict of interest?

I got over the shock long ago. The bad taste in my mouth, lingers.

Now, why would you suggest that this was a conflict of interest? Isn't cycling doing more than any other sport to support doping?

Dave.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
D-Queued said:
I got over the shock long ago. The bad taste in my mouth, lingers.

Now, why would you suggest that this was a conflict of interest? Isn't cycling doing more than any other sport to support doping?

Dave.

Even just within the UCI, the two functions to both promote cycling and police cycling are in potential conflict.

Evidence from Hein's time and from recent years as well shows that it's unfortunately been more than just potential.

I can appreciate that a role within WADA would be in conflict with phat's and his family's cycling promotion and rider management work.

In addition, the general corruption of phat is in conflict with any role he could perform within the WADA structure (but that one is not as open as the other issues).

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
peterst6906 said:
Even just within the UCI, the two functions to both promote cycling and police cycling are in potential conflict.

Evidence from Hein's time and from recent years as well shows that it's unfortunately been more than just potential.

I can appreciate that a role within WADA would be in conflict with phat's and his family's cycling promotion and rider management work.

In addition, the general corruption of phat is in conflict with any role he could perform within the WADA structure (but that one is not as open as the other issues).

let's not kid outselves.
the whole WADA is run by personal agendas.
WADA's vice friggin president is a certain Ljungqvist, described by Hoberman as highly corrupt.
And what in the name of the good Lord is Phat doing at the WADA!?
As if it's so friggin difficult to find competent, integer people. :mad:
Goodness me. The integrity of WADA for me is history.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
sniper said:
Goodness me. The integrity of WADA for me is history.

Well Fahey is one of the worst politicians Australia has ever had. He only got the gig in WADA as a result of his political position at the time it was setup around the Sydney Olympics.

He had no previous sporting history or credibility.

Since the culture of an organisation takes its lead from the top, his history should be fairly informing.

A separate issue to Phat, but linked in terms of the whole arrangement of WADA.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Interesting bit:
“This was the date that Mr. McQuaid’s one-year 2012 term on the Executive Committee ended.”
Somebody's not telling the whole truth. Phat's CV on the UCI website:
Career in sports administration
National Coach Irish Cycling Federation (1981-1984) ; Board Member Irish Cycling Federation (1985-1994) ; President Irish Cycling Federation (1994-1998) ; Vice-president and Member of the Council of ASOIF (2009-...) ; Member of the Executive Committee and of the Foundation Board of WADA (2009-...) ; Member of the International Olympic Committee (2010-...)

silverrocket said:
I was not aware he ever was part of WADA, and am shocked to find this out. How is (was) this not a conflict of interest?

Take a couple of steps back in order to understand WADA's relationship to sports federations. From top being most powerful, to bottom, least powerful:

***IOC****
----|------
International UCI/IAAF/IOC's triathlon federation/etc.
----|------
National sports federations
----|------
WADA/National ADA's.

The rules are elaborate, but the simple summary is, the sports federations are completely in charge.

All this time with many, many comments all over threads in The Clinic summarizing the bio-passport as anti-doping theater and some of you are surprised that a more senior sports administrator is on WADA's board? This is yet another example of the anti-doping theater.

Pat's doping mis-management is not enough to be banished from the IOC as there are numerous people that have done more bad things than fix races, hide positives and more. IMHO, he's been stuck with the Armstrong doping controversy and they want the controversy out of sight.

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
peterst6906 said:
Well Fahey is one of the worst politicians Australia has ever had. He only got the gig in WADA as a result of his political position at the time it was setup around the Sydney Olympics.

He had no previous sporting history or credibility.

Since the culture of an organisation takes its lead from the top, his history should be fairly informing.

A separate issue to Phat, but linked in terms of the whole arrangement of WADA.

Do you make this stuff up? John Fahey was confirmed as President of WADA seven years after the Sydney Olympics. He played and coached rugby league in his youth and was a director of the Bradman Foundation since 2001. Former Premier of NSW and lawyer. Give up the rubbish that Fahey wasn't qualified or had no credibility. Did you hear what he said about the Armstrong case?

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
For a senior cycling administrator to sit on WADA makes total sense as cycling is one of the key sports that WADA needs to have on board to implement its program and succeed in its stated mission (if you believe it has this in its best interest - I do). So nothing unusual or corrupt in this.

However, with cycling now so controversial, and the pendulum swinging away from the general belief that "it was only about USPS and LA (eg. limited terms of reference in Coates enquiry that Fahey refers to), it's all cleaner now", towards more fall out and potentially serious damage via a Lance admission, Bruyneel, Padua, new AICAR testing, UCI and national fed investigations, WADA (presumably Fahey) has chosen to remain at the moral high ground and continue to be part of leading the change in anti-doping.

Hence the dissociation of Pat. He is spent. Gone. Too much part of the problem. Just like Shane Sutton is spent at Sky. Just like Rabo opted out of sponsorship for the time being. Risk of being associated with the problem just too big. Particularly if the immediate future spells much more bad publicity to come. And the big elephant (general public) potentially waking up to doping and corruption in sport, rather than merely Armstrong doping in cycling.

DirtyWorks said:
IMHO, he's been stuck with the Armstrong doping controversy and they want the controversy out of sight.

Next watch for IOC dissociating itself publicly from Pat & Hein and working behind the scenes for an elegant solution for those 2.

peterst6906 said:

LOL, right. Phat could f*€* up a cup of coffee, I hope he did get kicked through the uprights. Phat couldn't manage a Piggly Wiggly effectively.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
biker jk said:
Do you make this stuff up? John Fahey was confirmed as President of WADA seven years after the Sydney Olympics. He played and coached rugby league in his youth and was a director of the Bradman Foundation since 2001. Former Premier of NSW and lawyer. Give up the rubbish that Fahey wasn't qualified or had no credibility. Did you hear what he said about the Armstrong case?

As a Sydneysider you would know Fahey was never elected as Premier and never won an election. He inherited the job from the Deputy Premiership positoon after Greiner was forced to resign due to corruption. So he was No. 2 in a corrupt Govt who then lost Govt at the next election. Jumped from there to Federal Politics post the Olympics and after that went into WADA.

Following Festina in 1999, Fahey was very vocal and involved with the setup of WADA (and credit to him for that) as the process began in the lead up to the Olympics. He used his political position for the early involvement and the connections made at the time to secure the position later on. Go do some deeper research than simply looking at Wikipedia.

In relation to playing and coaching Rugby League, there are close to 25,000 registered coaches in NSW alone and who hasn't played junior rugby league in NSW. Playing junior league, does not offer huge credibility in terms of sport administration. No more than say playing little league baseball in the US makes someone a great sporting administrator.

In terms of the Bradman Foundation, I assume he must have got that gig because of his excellent sporting reputation as a junior league player? No. His connections and political positions helped him there too. John Howard is currently a Director. I wouldn't put his time on the Foundation as to do with his sporting admin credibility, but because as a politician he has general administration skills and knowledge.

In relation to Armstrong. What was Fahey saying about Armstrong before the USADA Reasoned Decision. The answer to that is next to nothing. He's a latter say saint in relation to Armstrong, just like many others.

He has no great sporting credibility prior to his role in administration of the Olympics and he only got to where he is as a result of his political connections. He's certainly no great crusader for clean sport.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
D-Queued said:
I haven't played junior rugby league in NSW. There may be others.

Dave.

Since you're in Canada and not NSW, I would imagine that isn't even relevant to you. But since the post was addressed to a Sydney resident, it was relevant to him/her.

Even with that, certainly it was a statement aimed more at the boys in the state, not necessarily all of the girls.

Two ways to interpret that quote, so perhaps the better way to write it would have been "who in NSW hasn't played junior rugby league", which was the intention it was written with.

I was certainly aware that not all of the World's population have played rugby league, which I'm sure you also knew. But have at it with your literal interpretation if it gives you some feeling of moral superiority for an unknown reason. Doesn't change the general intent though (ie. playing junior rugby league doesn't rate highly for sport cred at a senior level. It's a common thing in the state of NSW).

TRENDING THREADS