• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mcewen back but Cyclingnews rips off a Flemish translation

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Mcewen gets a win and is back, but I wonder where CN pulled its translation from, they never referenced it. I believe "Renners" in Flemish when put thru an online translation program, becomes "runners" when everyone understands it as "riders" in Anglo idiom

It was an especially pleasing result for McEwen, who has faced a long road back from a serious knee injury suffered in last year's Tour of Belgium. "I'm really happy for this victory. It's my second career after the injury I had last season and that kept me from racing for 7 months and is a very important victory for me," he said afterwards.

"For me, the most important thing is that I have no discomfort in my leg, I feel fine and I can compete again with the best "

"The sprint was difficult, because I had to control runners and had many strong teams with runners at the finish. Skil-Shimano has prepared the sprint for the final kilometre and I jumped at 300 meters when I saw Freire go."

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
Mcewen gets a win and is back, but I wonder where CN pulled its translation from, they never referenced it. I believe "Renners" in Flemish when put thru an online translation program, becomes "runners" when everyone understands it as "riders" in Anglo idiom

Is it "riders" or "sprinters"?

I can see sprinter translated as runner... but not rider.

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:

Quotes were actually provided by the race organiser, in Spanish.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Spanish for "racers"

I don't know about in Spain, but Mexicans say "corredores" or "runners" for racers in cycling. They just use the word "sprintear" for sprinting.

Runners and Racers

Greg Johnson said:
Quotes were actually provided by the race organiser, in Spanish.

I don't know about Spain, but in Mexico, they ask "Vas a correr?" Are you going to run? when they're talking about a bike race. Sometimes, one has to clarify that one likes to "correr a pie" (run on foot) to avoid confusion with racing a bike.

For sprinters, they probably just use some slight modification of the word "sprint" itself. The verb is "sprintear"

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
djlovesyou said:
Flandrians speak Dutch anyway, not many actually speak Flemish. It's a lot like Welsh.

Flemish is actually very close to Dutch, but Belgians from the Flanders region most definitely speak Flemish and not Dutch.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
bobbins said:
Riders, not sprinters

Yes it's right. It is better to learn a language as good as possible. I can't speak Flemish but I can read and understand it. As my native language is German it was rather easy for me to learn by reading sites like Sporza or Sportwereld. -- I don't like automatically translated articles because there are too much mistakes.

TRENDING THREADS