• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

McEwen cherry picker

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
For many years the US had a handful of "real pros", and in the last 15 years it has not got that much better. Our championship was contested at the Core States(which has changed names 4 times) in PA. The 1st American rider across the line was crowned the champ. I think one of our champs finished 5th or 6th behind better euro pros. I am sure that the thimble full of pros from Australia can take a deep breath and wear the AU champs jersey even if they don't cross the line first. There are not any big climbs in the current route so if Robbie gets 20th it's because his form is poor. I have never routed for Cavendish but I hope they up the start money and he and Griepel show up and smoke the crybaby. Per capita Australia has to have the highest % of great racers right behind Lux

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
I think you've missed the point. The issue isn't so much the Australian rider not being first across the line, but rather the impact on racing that these other riders could bring.

For instance, it's going to be a lot easier for Michael Rogers to power home if he has his trade team mate driving at the front all day, tearing apart the locals then leaving Rogers to roll in for an easy win. Andre Griepel is one hell of an engine to have on your side.

I think Robbie deserves credit for being vocal about this. It had nothing to do with his own hopes - he's not even riding the road race - but he's standing up for what's fair. There are reasons the International Cycling Union doesn't allow ProTour teams to rock up at small races with a full compliment of riders - it's to do with the structure and progression within a sport.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
There are not any big climbs in the current route
ummmm except the 3.5 k climb they they do 16 times:confused:

You're missing the point anyhow, the fact the race can be sold off to other o/s riders can mess it up and this is what robbie is getting on about.

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
“No other country runs their road champs as an open, except the USA crit champs,” said McEwen. “They stopped running their road race as an open a few years ago.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Greg Johnson said:
I think you've missed the point. The issue isn't so much the Australian rider not being first across the line, but rather the impact on racing that these other riders could bring.

For instance, it's going to be a lot easier for Michael Rogers to power home if he has his trade team mate driving at the front all day, tearing apart the locals then leaving Rogers to roll in for an easy win. Andre Griepel is one hell of an engine to have on your side.

I think Robbie deserves credit for being vocal about this. It had nothing to do with his own hopes - he's not even riding the road race - but he's standing up for what's fair. There are reasons the International Cycling Union doesn't allow ProTour teams to rock up at small races with a full compliment of riders - it's to do with the structure and progression within a sport.

Cheers
Greg Johnson
I'm not sure that only allowing national riders is fairer. If foreign riders can come then everyone can bring a team. If only national riders are allowed the riders on foreign teams are severely disadvantaged, because they'll have no team mates. Potentially second rate rider could win because second rate teams are more likely to be national. Not to second rate of cause, but still. In Denmark Saxo Bank has won the championship every time in the last 10 years, not just because they have the best riders, but because they're the team that brings the strongest squad. Of cause right now the problem isn't to big because virtually all the best Danish riders ride for Saxo Bank so we don't get undeserving winners on that account.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Jono L. said:

You're missing the point anyhow, the fact the race can be sold off to other o/s riders can mess it up and this is what robbie is getting on about.

Ours was called "The Wall" (Manayunk) 15 times for us and way harder. Our race was good with all pros from both US and everywhere else. When we switched to the NC location and all American rider format the tradition was lost and the field was watered down considerably. Make sure Gerrans unclips one leg up that 3.5 speed bump so Robbie can keep up with his old and broken body. Davis should be restricted to his small chain ring. You are right in all the things you are stating we had the race both ways, maybe all AU will work for you, all US ruined what could have been one of our only one day classics. Champion of Australia would be another reason for great one day pros to come to your island and light it up. Now the only way to see a quality racer in the US is at the airport or go to the Tour of CA.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Ours was called "The Wall" (Manayunk) 15 times for us and way harder. Our race was good with all pros from both US and everywhere else. When we switched to the NC location and all American rider format the tradition was lost and the field was watered down considerably. Make sure Gerrans unclips one leg up that 3.5 speed bump so Robbie can keep up with his old and broken body. Davis should be restricted to his small chain ring. You are right in all the things you are stating we had the race both ways, maybe all AU will work for you, all US ruined what could have been one of our only one day classics. Champion of Australia would be another reason for great one day pros to come to your island and light it up. Now the only way to see a quality racer in the US is at the airport or go to the Tour of CA.

Well my **** is twice the size of yours and I get to use it 40 times a day.

You have no idea about how the Australian Road champs have been run over the past couple of years. Do some research then come back and comment.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Sure, the Buninyong hill is a piece of cake, if you're just doddling up on your small ring.

Try doing it at 30-40 km/h, which is what the pros do it at when they get serious.

I may be mistaken, but weren't most of the foreigners that contested the
USA Championships just American based foreigners? Most of the foreigners
that would contest the Australian Championships are Pro Tour riders I think.
Maybe that makes a difference, maybe not.

Traditionally, I think Australia has welcomed foreign competition on their shores
because they have no close neighbours like European nations have, but maybe
it is time to rethink that policy for the National Championships.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
As was pointed out by a poster from Canada,Denmark and US(me) none of us have enough good pros to have a national pro championship,doing it with respect. Cantwell,Tanner,Sulzberger,Wilson,Menzies,Sutherland, even Rice are all good racers just not enough top quality to fill a field. Our 2008 race had 235 international starters and 81 finishers,2009 217 started 107 finished with 1 US rider in the top 10. Greipel won Henderson (NZL) 2nd. We started having a US only race in 2006,what a mess.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Agree with Robbie.
As for the CSC/Saxo argument: What if they opened up the Danish championships? What would be the team most interested and bringing by far the strongest squad?

Right, Saxo.

Most of the nationals are held on the same day. Opening it all up would have riders being held from their own nationals by their teams, plus all nationals would have to be on the same date or all on a different date for that to be fair.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Agree with Robbie.
As for the CSC/Saxo argument: What if they opened up the Danish championships? What would be the team most interested and bringing by far the strongest squad?

Right, Saxo.
Of cause they'd still have the strongest team, but Brian Vanborg (the best placed non-Saxo rider this year at fourth) wouldn't be there all by his lonesome. Still my point was basically that the argument isn't as onesided as Greg said.

fatandfast said:

They only did the Wall 10 times.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
For many years the US had a handful of "real pros", and in the last 15 years it has not got that much better. Our championship was contested at the Core States(which has changed names 4 times) in PA. The 1st American rider across the line was crowned the champ. I think one of our champs finished 5th or 6th behind better euro pros. I am sure that the thimble full of pros from Australia can take a deep breath and wear the AU champs jersey even if they don't cross the line first. There are not any big climbs in the current route so if Robbie gets 20th it's because his form is poor. I have never routed for Cavendish but I hope they up the start money and he and Griepel show up and smoke the crybaby. Per capita Australia has to have the highest % of great racers right behind Lux

Probably best not to comment on things about which you clearly know nothing...15 times up a 3.5km climb ring any bells here? You've completely missed Robbie's point......actually did you read article at all?? :eek:

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
i'm with Robbie on this one too.

I can't think of another sport where this happens (the title isn't necessarily given to the winner.)

It's not like Barcelona competes in the English Premier league, our Spain puts a team into the NBA.

Only the winner should have the privileged of wearing the colours.

You are forgetting what the purpose of National Championships are. It is to find the best rider on one particular day of that country (not a lot of countries). Its not to find the best National in an international field otherwise you might as well give the jersey to the best placed at Worlds.

A

Anonymous

Agree with Robbie as well...otherwise, to run nationals this way is fairly useless...the point is team crap coming into it and buying help...if you are going to have a national champ race....just ****ing make it national folks...much cleaner and more real of an outcome.

A

Anonymous

National Championships should be just that. If the organizers want to favor a certain type of rider, then they can change the course, but the protagonists should be from the country who's championship they contesting.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Nationals should be for that country only. Other sports can do what they like.
I know in Australia we often have international swimmers and runners at our nationals, but I haven't yet seen someone switch lanes so another athlete can draft them.
The only conflict I have is that I like seeing the (ugly) aussie jersey in the pro euro peloton.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Jono L. said:

Bunningyong is a tough climb, robbie will have to be in very good shape to win here especially with guys like lloyd and rogers trying to break away. 6.5% is the av gradient. Not easy.

Does anyone know if cadel will do the ITT for the nationals

The australian national champs is where aussies compete in for the title. It would also seem like if an aussie didn't win the actual race it wouldn't seem like they earnt it. Here's the profile of the course...

http://www.cyclingprofiles.com.au/HTM/Nationals/Nat_2008AORRCRR.htm

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
Nationals should be for that country only. Other sports can do what they like.
I know in Australia we often have international swimmers and runners at our nationals, but I haven't yet seen someone switch lanes so another athlete can draft them.
The only conflict I have is that I like seeing the (ugly) aussie jersey in the pro euro peloton.

It is a bit like germany,they could make it like the one they wore at the worlds as it would be a bit better than the one they usually wear for natonals.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
The Dr said:
Probably best not to comment on things about which you clearly know nothing...15 times up a 3.5km climb ring any bells here? You've completely missed Robbie's point......actually did you read article at all?? :eek:
Yo smokefest, it's about pro racers. Not Olympic racing, not about national championships. Pro. I have raced up a hill 10 times at breakneck and it hurts. He wants only his own countrymen and that's his right(or his request) Aussies like Americans should welcome the hardest and most talented competition whenever and wherever to show who is the best. Pro and Amateur prizes should always be separate,forever.Australian professional championship,if you don't have the license you should not be there, Is your Olympic team being picked from the bunch? If so everybody should be able to race. Pro used to mean something.21 million people, how many "pros" do you think there are in NSW? The mixing of pros and amateurs is confused,it should not be done as a habit.

TRENDING THREADS