• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

McGuire Admission

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
17
0
0
Visit site
Mcgwire

It's MCGWIRE.

And here in the States wasn't it just painfully obvious? That whole era was getting big.

It was akin to cycling in that you laughed as you watched the Armstrongs, Pantanis, and Riccos go up hill the same way as when you saw a puffy Sosa, McGwire, or Canseco bashing a home run into the upper deck.

Suspension of disbelief.

There will be a lull in the HoF admissions of players from this era.

And Selig is much like McQuaid, nay Hein - "oh we're much better now. It's all behind us. We're clean".

I read in a newspaper article whereby the writer used a Churchill quote to set that sentiment straight. "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. but it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."
 
Mar 10, 2009
17
0
0
Visit site
And talk about DRUGS in Baseball

Sorry to double up, but I completely forgot this hilarious recap of Doc Ellis in the 70's pitching a no-hitter while dosed up on LSD. Yes, acid.

Watch this - the animation is great. And here's a guy who ISN'T lying about drugs. He said it was the truth all the way until his death.

RIP Doc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUhSYLRw14
 
Jun 15, 2009
8,529
1
0
Visit site
So what?

I told you all here in the summer, that cycling is one of the cleaner sports. I think i was laughed at.

Drugs don´t work in baseball was another classic.

They are all doped, but cycling at least tried lately to tackle this disease (1st in blood testing, 1st in training controls, 1st in Hct-maximum-levels allowed etc. < at this time steroids were not even banned in mlb> ).

But the biggest joke is that the commisioner Selig says the doping is a past problem. lol. Even it is considered to have McGwire in the HOF. There is something pretty sick in the american way of dealing with problems.

And the biggest thing isn´t even considered: Donaghy´s NBA-Fixing. I mean truly NFL-Fans thinks that could only happen in the NBA. How naive is USA ?

May only in such a country Epo-Lance can be a hero.

I mean that´s a country still watching NBA games and believe in the the one only scapegoat thing. We cycling fans woke up 10 years earlier.

USA has much to learn ...
 
Jun 15, 2009
8,529
1
0
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
What now, is Pat McQuaid and Bud Selig related? Are all Sports leaders trying to hide their problems for more publicity and money?

This guy is a joke just as the UCI President.

you forgot to mention Stern the ugly NBA-Freak saying only Donaghy is the evil man, and Goodell the man who let the Beli-Cheat videos be destroyed. And Diack who praised Bolt´s Doping-WR is good for athletics. lol

They are all cover-up guys playing the same game as Nixon. The fish always stinks from the head.
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
1
0
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
reminds me of Zabel/Aldag...

anyway, i still like the way McGwire played the game. But no way he hit 70 HR, maybe 55 if clean. Still pretty impressive... but no HOFer

A 55 home run guy isn't a Hall of Famer? Wow, tough standards.
 
May 6, 2009
8,522
1
0
Visit site
I'm not a big follower of baseball, so bear with me if I ask a few questions:

1/ McGwire, was he good enough to play at MLB level without 'riods, or without them he is stuck in the Minors? Personally I wish he had said he did to make his millions.

2/ Are the vast majority of players in the MLB jacked? Or is only the elite sort of thing?

3/ Does omerta exist, and have there been cases where it has been enforced?

4/ Are there any dodgy doctors/suppliers in the mould of Ferrari/Cecchini/Fuentes?
 
Mar 18, 2009
745
0
0
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
So what?

I told you all here in the summer, that cycling is one of the cleaner sports. I think i was laughed at.

Drugs don´t work in baseball was another classic.

They are all doped, but cycling at least tried lately to tackle this disease (1st in blood testing, 1st in training controls, 1st in Hct-maximum-levels allowed etc. < at this time steroids were not even banned in mlb> ).

But the biggest joke is that the commisioner Selig says the doping is a past problem. lol. Even it is considered to have McGwire in the HOF. There is something pretty sick in the american way of dealing with problems.

And the biggest thing isn´t even considered: Donaghy´s NBA-Fixing. I mean truly NFL-Fans thinks that could only happen in the NBA. How naive is USA ?

May only in such a country Epo-Lance can be a hero.

I mean that´s a country still watching NBA games and believe in the the one only scapegoat thing. We cycling fans woke up 10 years earlier.

USA has much to learn ...


While I have no problem with the bulk of this post, particularly the NBA and NFL references, I don't follow the nationalistic inference.

Can you clarify for me?

Are you saying that only the USAs major sports are covering up major doping and its fans have their heads in the sand?

Are you implying that other major sports in the world don't have the exact same thing going on? It think this is a stretch if you are.

Football and World Cup Cross Country Skiing come to mind...neither of which are followed closely in the USA...both of which are apparently clean.

Happen to see the final stage of the Tour De Ski this year? Were you not the least bit skeptical of Bauer's finish?
 
Jun 15, 2009
8,529
1
0
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
A 55 home run guy isn't a Hall of Famer? Wow, tough standards.

He is no HOFer since he is a convicted doper, simply as that.

Or would you say Epo-Lance, Contradoper, Vino, Valverde, Ulrich (i am still a big fan of him) etc. would be HOFers (if there would be such thing in Cycling). Of course not. They cheated.

Same goes with BigMac (i am still a big fan of him), nice guy, but cheated = no HOFer. Simple as that.

Only the funny naive thinking of US-Americans could consider Pete Rose or Mark McGwire would/should/could be HOFers. Thats called the decline of the western civilization...

That way of thinking by "fans" shows the pro´s that cheating is worth it. I could vomit. Sorry for the harsh words.
 
Jun 15, 2009
8,529
1
0
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I'm not a big follower of baseball, so bear with me if I ask a few questions:

1/ McGwire, was he good enough to play at MLB level without 'riods, or without them he is stuck in the Minors? Personally I wish he had said he did to make his millions.

2/ Are the vast majority of players in the MLB jacked? Or is only the elite sort of thing?

3/ Does omerta exist, and have there been cases where it has been enforced?

4/ Are there any dodgy doctors/suppliers in the mould of Ferrari/Cecchini/Fuentes?

1.) Yes he was that good. A clear top tier MLB-Player w/out drugs. But no role model.

2.) MLB = Cycling (just search Mitchell-Report; "... that during the random testing in 2003, 5 to 7 percent of players tested positive for steroid use ...). That translates into around 60 positiv cyclists per year (i could hear the media out-cry if that ever happens).

We all know that almost the whole peloton doped = it´s a safe bet almost all MLB-Players doped/still dope ...

3.) Of course, just look at the cover up on Barry Bonds. Only one (still active, NOT penalized Cincy-Pitcher admits freely to take ALL kinds of doping to improve NOW AND IN THIS DAY)

4.) Victor Conte, Angel Heredia (now out of business, so somebody else took the vacant "jobs" of course)

personal note: Cycling is no better or worse then ALL other sports, with one big exception: never heard of the REAL evil in sports: fixing races (outside of "Kirmes"-Criteriums of course, but those races are no official UCI-Events, so what)
 
Jun 15, 2009
8,529
1
0
Visit site
flyor64 said:
While I have no problem with the bulk of this post, particularly the NBA and NFL references, I don't follow the nationalistic inference.

Can you clarify for me?

Are you saying that only the USAs major sports are covering up major doping and its fans have their heads in the sand?

Are you implying that other major sports in the world don't have the exact same thing going on? It think this is a stretch if you are.

Football and World Cup Cross Country Skiing come to mind...neither of which are followed closely in the USA...both of which are apparently clean.

Happen to see the final stage of the Tour De Ski this year? Were you not the least bit skeptical of Bauer's finish?

Soccer ? Dirty as hell. Did you hear of the french judge investigating festina? once he got into soccer, he lost his job and was homeless. big cover up by FIFA/UEFA. by the way: same happened to Fuents, as he got into soccer, he got life threatening ... soon the file was closed

Skiing/Athletics: same dirty games (just turin 2006 comes into mind)

personal note: as Ulrich was the scapegoat for cycling; cycling is the scapegoat for high level/pro sports. cycling took all the heat as others don´t even dare to test (like NFLPA don´t allow the League to test for all substances, what a big joke)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Soccer ? Dirty as hell. Did you hear of the french judge investigating festina? once he got into soccer, he lost his job and was homeless. big cover up by FIFA/UEFA. by the way: same happened to Fuents, as he got into soccer, he got life threatening ... soon the file was closed

I'm convinced the English Premier League is riddled with it. Back in the mid-late 90's when a lot of foreign central european coaches came over the players started raving about "modern training techniques" and "vitamin injections that help them recover between games". I didn't think anything of it at the time, but looking back knowing what we do now about "vitamin injections", I think it's obvious what they're taking.
 
BikeCentric said:
How can it be acceptable to allow him in when guys from back in the early era didn't have or use drugs like he did?

The guys from back in the early era didn't need steroids-they had segregation to level the playing field for them.

The Maris family should be more outraged that Josh Gibson wasn't playing in MLB during his prime. Some of those home run records would have been rewritten to say the least-

zwc3d4.jpg
 
Aug 3, 2009
176
0
0
Visit site
Mad magazine's description of McGuires admission
(what he said)I took em for health purposes.
(what he meant)I took em to add 15ft to every fly ball I hit!
For crying out loud,he couldn't even fess up without lying:(
It makes Hank Aaron,Babe Ruth,and Roger Maris' records all the more incredible!!!
 
Jun 15, 2009
8,529
1
0
Visit site
Hibbles said:
I'm convinced the English Premier League is riddled with it. Back in the mid-late 90's when a lot of foreign central european coaches came over the players started raving about "modern training techniques" and "vitamin injections that help them recover between games". I didn't think anything of it at the time, but looking back knowing what we do now about "vitamin injections", I think it's obvious what they're taking.

Yes sure, as i read about that judge, soccer was/is as poluted as cycling, add all those fixed games and you have one dirty sport.

I stay with what i wrote in summer, cycling is one of the cleaner sports and thank god, no heavy betting is going on there... so at least we have REAL competition in cycling.

BigMac took steroids for recovering, wow that´s as good as Landis & Hamilton.

Seems the only true heroes left are Kurt Warner and JimmyMac
 

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
Visit site
What a punk Mark McGuire is. If he trully is sorry he needs to renounce his homerun title and give his houses, cars, money, investments, and cars to charity. If he is sorry give up his titles same goes for Alexi Grewel both punks.
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
1
0
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
...as Ulrich was the scapegoat for cycling; cycling is the scapegoat for high level/pro sports. cycling took all the heat as others don´t even dare to test (like NFLPA don´t allow the League to test for all substances, what a big joke)

I agree that these sports prefer to make scapegoats out of some riders than expose the widespread use of PEDs. Ullrich is an easy target as he doesn't run to the microphones and cameras like some high profile riders do. Plus, rightly or wrongly, he was always viewed as a kind of outsider, a massively talented guy who did little with his talent, gained weight, and screwed around with party drugs. Look how Ricco is treated compared to others who tested positive. He too is an outsider, a loudmouth, and so is a scapegoat and nobody wants him back. But quiet Ivan is a hero. Look at how Canseco is treated by baseball. He is an outsider, a brash guy who makes a fool of himself via MMA and reality TV. Even though he is probably the only guy telling the truth, he is an outcast and his opinions are discounted. Nobody cares to expose what really goes on. The sports leagues want to make money, and fans want to see long home runs and guys flying up mountains. The omerta doesn't begin or end inside the peloton or locker room.
 
Apr 24, 2009
206
0
0
Visit site
Oncearunner8 said:
His apology was for ****! He made excuses about “health” and his interview with Bob Costas shows how he in his mind thinks his hitting was not increased by doping. His anguish is only because he wants to have a job in baseball.

So funny how everyone will be willing to accept his apology and move along. He should be in the HOF???????????????? WTF sort of statement is that! Do you think Roger Maris’s widow thinks it is ok? I think her reaction was appropriate she thinks he is a cheat who has stolen from the game.

The irony is that Maris' record now REALLY needs an asterisk--but in a positive way, not a negative like before.
 
Jul 17, 2009
4,316
2
0
Visit site
he said he didn't do it to improve performance? He said he did it to recover from injury?


OK let me see if I understand. If he is on the injured reserve list he is not performing and therefore not hitting 70 HR's. Correct? stop me if I am wrong...

If he is not on the Injured list and he is hitting then he is preforming correct?

The juise got him off the IR faster though didnt it?

With that logic he thinks the juice did not effect his performance?


oh and I gues he wishes he wasnt born in this era?

dude is so far gone from reality like all these sport dopers. He is as far gone and Landis and Hamilton IMHO
 

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
Visit site
Look how Ricco is treated compared to others who tested positive. He too is an outsider, a loudmouth, and so is a scapegoat and nobody wants him back. But quiet Ivan is a hero. Look at how Canseco is treated by baseball. He is an outsider, a brash guy who makes a fool of himself via MMA and reality TV. Even though he is probably the only guy telling the truth, he is an outcast and his opinions are discounted.


ricco=punk I. Basso=punk Valverde=punk Conseco and Ullrich foolish but likeable. No matter what I like conseco and ullrich.

Also McGuire and Alexi Grewal== exponentially exceptional punks.
 
Boeing said:
he said he didn't do it to improve performance? He said he did it to recover from injury?


OK let me see if I understand. If he is on the injured reserve list he is not performing and therefore not hitting 70 HR's. Correct? stop me if I am wrong...

If he is not on the Injured list and he is hitting then he is preforming correct?

The juise got him off the IR faster though didnt it?

With that logic he thinks the juice did not effect his performance?


oh and I gues he wishes he wasnt born in this era?

dude is so far gone from reality like all these sport dopers. He is as far gone and Landis and Hamilton IMHO

Here's another thing that's funny/sad about McGuire - as you pointed out he stated that he did the 'roids only for recovery (and of course that they didn't improve his power at all LOL LOL full of shi!). Then he goes on to say that he also did HGH "I think maybe once or twice." When of course we all know that HGH is used for recovery and does a good job at it. Every athlete knows this, especially pros. McGuire is just completely full of shi!. I don't think he's "convinced himself to believe anything," I just think he's lying his *** off. Better to just keep your mouth shut if you are going to tell half truths and even more lies.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Baseball has been screwed up with drugs for so long...the season promotes that...steroids aside...when I was younger and I am still sure of this now, it was bennies, speed...(think here of Merckx admitting speed use)...guys make jokes about this in MLB...and I don't think they even test for it...growing up I lived next to Darrell Porter, a catcher for the Royals and Cardinals...he was single and I sorta came under his wing...his surrogate son...he had speed all around his place all of the time...told me he took it just to get up for a game because the season was so long...there are so many expectations on these guys and huge amounts of money...sadly, he died a few years ago of a coke overdose...just a sad sad end to a good guy...
 
Mar 10, 2009
504
0
0
Visit site
McGuire's public admission was nothing more than an informercial for pity. He's not sorry for his behavior or his doping. His press conference was about getting more people to feel sorry for him and his bad choices.

What a f*cking chump.

Sell it someplace else. The jaded public is a weary public.

STFU already.