• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mechanical doping accusation against Contador

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
peterst6906 said:
Personally, a complete load of crap and easy to make an accusation without any substantive evidence to support it.
You mean we should treat this with the same scrutiny that was used to handle the same accusations against Cancellara?

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Chef_Vodnik said:
You mean we should treat this with the same scrutiny that was used to handle the same accusations against Cancellara?

No, don't mean that at all.

It would be good if people who make accusations of this nature (including the same situation last year against Cancellara) actually provided some evidence to support their claims.

Contador should be out of the sport for other reasons, but even before this years Giro, he had already won 5 (perhaps soon 4) grand tours.

It's not like he's a Johnny Come Lately and just because someone can't understand how a performance can be so dominant, doesn't automatically mean that there must have been cheating involved.

I don't really know what Guimard's beef is here - he does seem to take a personal offence to Conti, though. A statement like this:

"When you are capable of eating rotten meat, then one is maybe capable of doing lots of other things..."

is straight out of the clinic - or maybe just said with a giant smile and wink?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
"Unfortunately, with mechanical scanning now appearing to have been abandoned, he and other riders are left open to accusations of this nature. "

the article seems to insinuate they weren't scanned?

but i do love his 'clinicesque' quote

When you are capable of eating rotten meat, then one is maybe capable of doing lots of other things...”

good to know that the 'clinicians' in here are in such company :):D

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
the article seems to insinuate they weren't scanned?

but i do love his 'clinicesque' quote

good to know that the 'clinicians' in here are in such company :):D

Through the commentary during the giro, I know that at least the bikes of Contador, Gadret and several others were checked on 1 day and that the bike of Contador was checked on other days as well

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
Through the commentary during the giro, I know that at least the bikes of Contador, Gadret and several others were checked on 1 day and that the bike of Contador was checked on other days as well

ok, but as I said, if it was UCI doing the checking....:rolleyes:

Riis is the kind of guy that pays upfront.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:

i imagine someone in Gazetta or Tuttosport will follow it up.

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Andy Schleck joined VC Roubaix cycling club in 2004, and caught the attention of Cyrille Guimard, a sports director who became famous as the directeur sportif for several Tour de France winners, including Bernard Hinault, Laurent Fignon, Lucien Van Impe and American Greg LeMond. Guimard described Schleck as one of the biggest talents he had seen and compared him to Laurent Fignon.[

http://www.enotes.com/topic/Andy_Schleck

Contador may not be clean, but Guimards opinions are just obviously quiet biased.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
JPM London said:
I don't really know what Guimard's beef is here - he does seem to take a personal offence to Conti, though. A statement like this:

is straight out of the clinic - or maybe just said with a giant smile and wink?

I have read a book written by Laurent Fignon and Guimard was his directeur sportif for years. What Fignon wrote about him was no compliment. I don't think we have to take serious what he says.

peterst6906 said:
Another looking for some attention now that he's out of the sport, or maybe he's just getting old and senile:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8...Cycling+News+&+Race+Results+|+VeloNation.com)

Personally, a complete load of crap and easy to make an accusation without any substantive evidence to support it.

This stuff is hilarious. If this were true, I don't know how the riders around him didn't notice the huge battery attached to bis bike, or the strange engine noise.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
When I tried to hang on to a couple of Top world tour riders with a 50cc moped I cooked the motor so I cant see this working in real time even if you can hide it. The motor was flat out and I was pedaling as well.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
inri2000 said:
Of course it is BS, but if you think so as well, why publish the rumour? All it does is give the leeches something to vomit about.

Publish? No that was Velonation.

This is a discussion forum and that's what this is about: discussion.

There are a lot of baseless, BS rumours that should never be published. Unfortunately they end up being published anyway.

Once they are, there's nothing wrong with discussing them. Even if just to point out how shallow they are.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
brianf7 said:
When I tried to hang on to a couple of Top world tour riders with a 50cc moped I cooked the motor so I cant see this working in real time even if you can hide it. The motor was flat out and I was pedaling as well.
You'd only need a few watts for a limited time on the decisive climbs to make an appreciable difference and that could be achieved with a tiny motor and battery.

Just because it's possible doesn't mean that anyone is actually doing it though.

TRENDING THREADS