• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Media amnesia and reactions

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Bike Snob NYC, the guy used to be sooo funny, then I realized he is one of the worst LA apologists.. I even bought Snobby's book. He is pathetic, I bet he thinks they are friends irl. No, probably just takes checks from LA. Or Bicycling tells him not to write bad about Lance. Instead he picks on people like Levi (probably at the behest of LA), sad.

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
FabulousCandelabra said:
Bike Snob NYC, the guy used to be sooo funny, then I realized he is one of the worst LA apologists.. I even bought Snobby's book. He is pathetic, I bet he thinks they are friends irl. No, probably just takes checks from LA. Or Bicycling tells him not to write bad about Lance. Instead he picks on people like Levi (probably at the behest of LA), sad.
Today's humorous talking point is "Armstrong may have cheated, but Nike has sweatshops."

I don't care enough to do the research, but there were probably dozens of posts about Contador's "fingerbanging", but when it comes to Cancer Jesus, nothing.

The lamest part about him is how he hides behind the "I just make silly jokes about bicycles," and he's more than happy to make fun of weak targets; but when it comes to someone with a giant ego and a toxic team of lawyers, BSNYC doesn't have the stomach for making some well-deserved jokes.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Nice to see someone admit the fact that the media were ranking it in thanks to the Uniballer and so they were unwilling to do anything that might stem the flow, something that Benson and others are unwilling to admit to.
MJM uniball is now merely a ballpoint pen, and not the man formerly known as who indulged in cheap minge with plastic front ends at Yellow Rose.
uniball.jpg

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
MJM uniball is now merely a ballpoint pen, and not the man formerly known as who indulged in cheap minge with plastic front ends at Yellow Rose.
blackcat always reliable with I nice turn of phrase. One should never stick the knife in without giving it a twist as well :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Mike Tomalaris

Got to give Hodges huge credit for coming out when he really didn't have to. Better to confess than be caught.

Matt Keenan

Stephen Hodges is a person of great integrity. His admission further highlights the failings of the system more than the individual.

Al Hinds

that (sp) were dragged along for the ride. Very easy to judge when you haven't been there

Sure. Except that you're basically blaming the riders for something that was all but out of their control.

What do these three prominent cycling reporters have in common?

a) They all did not try to REALLY uncover doping in cycling
b) They defend and praise the same person who has lied for a decade and is only coming out now because everyone else is
c) They have not learned any lessons from the past week that the media needs to play a very large role in exposing these cheats.
d) All of the above.

Pick one.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
So what should they be saying? Hodges is irrelevant, doesn't deserve a word written about him, not part of the problem - failings of journalism will come if they do not highlight that in the following period.

They should not be using worlds like "huge credit" and "integrity" to describe a man who lied for a DECADE and only decided to tell the truth because of Matt White and Lance Armstrong. They should be saying that good on him for telling the truth but also some of the aforementioned comments that I made.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
auscyclefan94 said:
They should not be using worlds like "huge credit" and "integrity" to describe a man who lied for a DECADE and only decided to tell the truth because of Matt White and Lance Armstrong. They should be saying that good on him for telling the truth but also some of the aforementioned comments that I made.

I think you are being too harsh.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
I think you are being too harsh.

Perhaps I am but I do not want another saga like this to happen in cycling again and the same mistakes made. For me, I believe that a more severe and scrutinising approach needs to be taken by the media if we are going to rat out the cheats in the future.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
auscyclefan94 said:
Perhaps I am but I do not want another saga like this to happen in cycling again and the same mistakes made. For me, I believe that a more severe and scrutinising approach needs to be taken by the media if we are going to rat out the cheats in the future.

I agree - and would dearly love it if a rider could go to Europe and compete to the best of their ability and get there clean. That would be ideal. I would love it that the Clinic did not need to exist, and the blog I created got dusty and disused.

But if the Aussies cop it hard and noone else does, it won't take long for it to return to our riders.

It's a good start, but will ultimately fail unless the pruning goes across the board.

I think Hodges has done something better than just about any other rider, DS or team manager. And commending him is not a bad thing.

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Frank Conceicao, the sports director at the Eastern Suburbs Cycling Club and a former Australian team mechanic, says he is concerned about doping - more by renegade individuals than the clubs.
However, he suspects doping may extend as far as C grade level and wants Cycling Australia to urge the Australian anti-doping authority to send testers to club races.
''It's time CA came back to grassroots and sent the drug organisation down here and put in the emphasis on club racing because I know it happens,'' Conceicao told the Herald.
Advertisement
''We are losing a battle at the beginning in a lot of ways, in a lot of aspects.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling...pedlars-out-20121019-27wqr.html#ixzz29mDzuHig

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
‏@grahamwatson10
From the ashes of Rabo' comes chance for so many lazy, yet talented, cyclists to find true destiny - in a team where they have to perform...

which deserves these comments...

@ScottLeMond
Hey @grahamwatson10, how about you stop being a ******, calling hard working cyclist lazy, and just leave the sport, your photos are ****.

@SSbike
.@grahamwatson10 maybe they have been under a lot of pressure to do it clean, Graham, unlike Armstrong and his like??

@Digger_forum
@ScottLeMond @grahamwatson10 he sold out a long time ago. Now he has no shame...money, but no respect or talent whatseover.

And if cycling editors trust the wall is fallen, now is the time to decommission the stale, bloated Honecker advocates like Watson and Wilcockson and reward instead the likes of James Startt.

@Stefclement
The end of an era means the beginning of a new. Letting go the past is insecure but creates an unique chance to create our own (hi-)story.