• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Member Awards 2020

Dear fellow members,

welcome to the only awards in the cycling world that can rival the Vélo d'Or, that are, in fact, more prestigious than the Vélo d'Or, at least in the CN forums (yeah, I know... but you always have to talk these things up in the beginning):

The Member Awards! It's the first edition.

After some misreadings of the best forum memes thread where a „best member thread“ was suggested, I came up with this. Let's have a giant award show, lights, smiles :):D:hearteyecat::kissingheart::) , music, fans (present anyway), journalists (look for them on the front page), drinks :cocktail::beercheers::wineglass::tropicaldrink: and healthy snacks :watermelon::eggplant::tangerine::pineapple::chestnut:.

But first of all I want to hear your suggestions for the nominees. Currently not very active members can still be voted for, as long as you consider them still relevant. I am pointing towards the general forum rules to tell you that you are not allowed to open a second or third account just to vote for yourself.
The six categories, carefully selected and meaningful, are as following:

Nibalist No1: Most extreme Nibali fan.

The Rumour Mill: Most effective rumour spreader.

The Shadow Hunter: Member who watches the most obscure races.

Best Hit and Run Performance: Writes many remarkable, outragious or interesting posts, dives for quite a while, then suddenly turns up again.

Most Ardent Dreamer: Constantly dreaming of successes of their favourite team or rider which never materialize.

Fashionista: Best Avatar.

(A)BSP: (Assumed) Best Shot Putter.

B(rav)est Crosser: Jumps between different subforums to spread their attention equally.

Sphinx: You don't understand their enigmatic posts, but they are always interesting.

The Drop: Best Name Dropper. Their posts are full of names of past and present riders, DS, races and places. There's no point, but sooo many associations to start remembering and dreaming.

Those were not six. Even I can count that far. But I swear, there were six in the beginning, then they just... reproduced or something. After all each of them is very important!

Then there's also the
Sandisfan award: Something like a life achievement award. You nominate the member that gives you the most likes even though you are never able to give it back. (Sandisfan is out, since he's Sandisfan himself. (herself?))

A „best member award“ would be boring since we all know it would go to Libertine, right? (Or could Redhead endanger LS's position by calling out some spelling mistakes?)

Please name your nominees in the coming week, 1 per member and category. I will then open a competition to bring us safely through the new lockdown (do you have a new lockdown, too?) into Christmas time. Around the first of December I will personally call the winners and sing one of the following, personalized songs to them: All I Want For Christmas Is Nibali. Rogl Bell Rock. Froomey Baby. Do They Know It's Evenepoel? Pog Ride. It's beginning to look a lot like Sagan. Shake up Amstel. Have yourself a Merry Little Tour (for Pinot fans). Fairy Tale of Innsbruck. Let it Wout! Let it Wout! Let it Wout! Julian the Rainbow Striped Rider. And for the nostalgics: Thank God It's Contador.

Please name your nominees!
(Here's the list again for easier inserting.)

Nibalist No1:
The Rumour Mill:
The Shadow Hunter:
Best Hit and Run Performance:
Most Ardent Dreamer:
Fashionista:
(A)BSP:
B(rav)est Crosser:
Sphinx:
The Drop:
Sandisfan award:

Last edited:
Dear fellow members,

welcome to the only awards in the cycling world that can rival the Vélo d'Or, that are, in fact, more prestigious than the Vélo d'Or, at least in the CN forums (yeah, I know... but you always have to talk these things up in the beginning):

The Member Awards! It's the first edition.

After some misreadings of the 2020 review where a „best member thread“ was suggested, I came up with this. Let's have a giant award show, lights, smiles :):D:hearteyecat::kissingheart::) , music, fans (present anyway), journalists (look for them on the front page), drinks :cocktail::beercheers::wineglass::tropicaldrink: and healthy snacks :watermelon::eggplant::tangerine::pineapple::chestnut:.

But first of all I want to hear your suggestions for the nominees. Currently not very active members can still be voted for, as long as you consider them still relevant. I am pointing towards the general forum rules to tell you that you are not allowed to open a second or third account just to vote for yourself.
The six categories, carefully selected and meaningful, are as following:

Nibalist No1: Most extreme Nibali fan.

The Rumour Mill: Most effective rumour spreader.

The Shadow Hunter: Member who watches the most obscure races.

Best Hit and Run Performance: Writes many remarkable, outragious or interesting posts, dives for quite a while, then suddenly turns up again.

Most Ardent Dreamer: Constantly dreaming of successes of their favourite team or rider which never materialize.

Fashionista: Best Avatar.

(A)BSP: (Assumed) Best Shot Putter.

B(rav)est Crosser: Jumps between different subforums to spread their attention equally.

Sphinx: You don't understand their enigmatic posts, but they are always interesting.

The Drop: Best Name Dropper. Their posts are full of names of past and present riders, DS, races and places. There's no point, but sooo many associations to start remembering and dreaming.

Those were not six. Even I can count that far. But I swear, there were six in the beginning, then they just... reproduced or something. After all each of them is very important!

Then there's also the
Sandisfan award: Something like a life achievement award. You nominate the member that gives you the most likes even though you are never able to give it back. (Sandisfan is out, since he's Sandisfan himself. (herself?))

A „best member award“ would be boring since we all know it would go to Libertine, right? (Or could Redhead endanger LS's position by calling out some spelling mistakes?)

Please name your nominees in the coming week, 1 per member and category. I will then open a competition to bring us safely through the new lockdown (do you have a new lockdown, too?) into Christmas time. Around the first of December I will personally call the winners and sing one of the following, personalized songs to them: All I Want For Christmas Is Nibali. Rogl Bell Rock. Froomey Baby. Do They Know It's Evenepoel? Pog Ride. It's beginning to look a lot like Sagan. Shake up Amstel. Have yourself a Merry Little Tour (for Pinot fans). Fairy Tale of Innsbruck. Let it Wout! Let it Wout! Let it Wout! Julian the Rainbow Striped Rider. And for the nostalgics: Thank God It's Contador.

Please name your nominees!
(Here's the list again for easier inserting.)

Nibalist No1:
The Rumour Mill:
The Shadow Hunter:
Best Hit and Run Performance:
Most Ardent Dreamer:
Fashionista:
(A)BSP:
B(rav)est Crosser:
Sphinx:
The Drop:
Sandisfan award:

I was totally thinking of creating a most likeable character award with the sole purpose of honouring Sandisfan for their work. When a joke doesn't seem to land they'll always there to give you a nice pat on the back, even if it takes a few days. And if they don't approve, you know it was extremely weak (that has obviously never happened to me).

Some of the other awards, I'll have to think more deeply before I'm ready to give my votes, but here are my preliminary results:

The Shadow Hunter: Libertine Seguros for sharing the beauty of the HTV Cup with the forum.
(A)BSP: I have no info of any other forum members' short putting experience than RedheadDane's, so I'll have to nominate her.

We could also add a Rookie Award to the most promising newcomer (wink, wink), who'll get to wear a white jersey on their avatar until next year's ceremony. Thread/t of the year would also be a fun award.

I also think you forgot the song about the Angliru called Wouter Wonderland. So this Is Kussmas is another classic.

Last edited:
Guys, you misunderstood! You should come up with the nominees, not new categories! (On a more serious note: I tried to take this very light hearted and to not include any categories which could lead to serious battles about the best people.)

I will show you how it's done:

Nibalist No1: Red Rick
The Rumour Mill: in the sense that he informs quite a lot in the rumours/ transfers thread: Mayomaniac
The Shadow Hunter: WKA
Best Hit and Run Performance: Descender
Most Ardent Dreamer: Me (Blue Roads)
Fashionista: Rollthedice
(A)BSP: I would need some body measures of you for a better take, but until then I'll go with Cookster because he seems to like to do different sports
B(rav)est Crosser: 42x16ss
Sphinx: Unchained
The Drop: Libertine
Sandisfan award: Sandisfan. Yeah, I know, but it's like the man-of-the-match-other-than-Messi-award in reddit. There is no other.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
I was totally thinking of creating a most likeable character award with the sole purpose of honouring Sandisfan for their work. When a joke doesn't seem to land they'll always there to give you a nice pat on the back, even if it takes a few days. And if they don't approve, you know it was extremely weak (that has obviously never happened to me).

Some of the other awards, I'll have to think more deeply before I'm ready to give my votes, but here are my preliminary results:

The Shadow Hunter: Libertine Seguros for sharing the beauty of the HTV Cup with the forum.
(A)BSP: I have no info of any other forum members' short putting experience than RedheadDane's, so I'll have to nominate her.

We could also add a Rookie Award to the most promising newcomer (wink, wink), who'll get to wear a white jersey on their avatar until next year's ceremony. Thread/t of the year would also be a fun award.

I also think you forgot the song about the Angliru called Wouter Wonderland. So this Is Kussmas is another classic.

Love your word play.

The extra funny thing about your Rookie award, is that I am 50/50 as to whether you are winking at Blue Roads, or yourself!!

Anyway, both are worthy winners.

Thread of the year early nomination: stage 6 of TDF. Because the stage was horrible, yet the thread was glorious.

Guys, you misunderstood! You should come up with the nominees, not new categories! (On a more serious note: I tried to take this very light hearted and to not include any categories which could lead to serious battles about the best people.)

I will show you how it's done:

Nibalist No1: Red Rick
The Rumour Mill: in the sense that he informs quite a lot in the rumours/ transfers thread: Mayomaniac
The Shadow Hunter: WKA
Best Hit and Run Performance: Descender
Most Ardent Dreamer: Me (Blue Roads)
Fashionista: Rollthedice
(A)BSP: I would need some body measures of you for a better take, but until then I'll go with Cookster because he seems to like to do different sports
B(rav)est Crosser: 42x16ss
Sphinx: Unchained
The Drop: Libertine
Sandisfan award: Sandisfan. Yeah, I know, but it's like the man-of-the-match-other-than-Messi-award in reddit. There is no other.

Rollthedice is a good nomination for Fasionista. I think he can also challenge Red Rick for Nibalist No1, as could Eclipse.

In fact that award has so many contenders that it isn't in the bag for anyone.

Love your word play.

The extra funny thing about your Rookie award, is that I am 50/50 as to whether you are winking at Blue Roads, or yourself!!

Anyway, both are worthy winners.

Thread of the year early nomination: stage 6 of TDF. Because the stage was horrible, yet the thread was glorious.

The winks were meant to be ambigious, but I'm obviously not one to toot my own horn. Though I could be doing a Samu on the stage to Grenada in the 2007 Vuelta, where BlueRoads is playing the role of Beltrán, who thinks I'll let her win, while I have other plans. Who knows?

Koronin and Libertine Seguros :laughing:

I was hoping for us to have a head to head battle, but it seems that number 1 Kloden fan didn't quite make the cut.
The first thought that came to my mind was Flo but I figured we'd keep it between active riders and than thought of Tonton and Koronin. I would think Movistar and Valverde have had better success than FDJ and Pinot, leaving Tonton. If we include retired riders and forum members, Ryo can get a shoot out.
LS could win every category but yes she's who I had in mind.

Who was the other one that's been around for awhile but doesn't post a lot, predominately in his thread? I think their name starts with a T. At this point you can lump Cavendish and I together in that category.

Reactions: BlueRoads
Of course you are right, Red Rick, this doesn't belong in the road cycling forum. It's just, like Logic pointed out, that most people don't come here. But that is not so much a question of moderating but of the structure of the forums, which would probably be better off with a few less subforums.

I'd say there's no question about the rookie award. It belongs to Samu. Me, I'd rather pretend I'm one of the old members anyway. :blush:

Now none of you has filled out the nominations form so far. I wonder whether that is because Libertine would win most of them and you think the categories are therefor boring. (Actually I was very close to nominating her for the fashionista.) So if you would rather give away other awards, keep them coming.

TRENDING THREADS