• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Member Suspension Appreciation/Depreciation Thread

Page 114 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:

Red Rick said:
But seriously, pretty dumb to instantly start using a sockpuppet the moment you get banned

Still think permabanning the original account is kinda harsh though, although I'm sure there's more to it than just seeing it as a dumb thing to do just as talking doping the PRR forum
Sockpuppets/alternate users has been a permabanning offence for a few years now. Foxxy had been around more than long enough to know that.

Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
blutto said:
l.Harm said:
hrotha said:
MarkvW said:
Racist posts warrant instaban. 2 week ban was lenient. Too bad he didn't see that.
Speaking of seeing: how many people saw his meltdown before it was deleted? It was highly entertaining. Threatened to take the mods to court and everything.
:( I missed everything.

....I must have hit the storm at its epic peak....like up popped the new posts page and maybe 2/3's of the page were posts from a "new" poster ranting and ranting and ranting and then culminating the storm with a threat to sue....

....they will speak of this storm in hushed tones around campfires late at night for centuries to come....yes they will...

Cheers
It wasn't quite on the scale of Jackhammer's explosion but it was a good one. The best for a while.

I must have missed Jackhammers explosion, must have been a good one!

Pricey_sky said:
42x16ss said:
blutto said:
....I must have hit the storm at its epic peak....like up popped the new posts page and maybe 2/3's of the page were posts from a "new" poster ranting and ranting and ranting and then culminating the storm with a threat to sue....

....they will speak of this storm in hushed tones around campfires late at night for centuries to come....yes they will...

Cheers
It wasn't quite on the scale of Jackhammer's explosion but it was a good one. The best for a while.

I must have missed Jackhammers explosion, must have been a good one!
That was back in about 2010. Jackhammer was a diehard Armstrong fan who had a gradual meltdown then totally blew his top. Made a whole bunch of OTT, violent, personal threats against Chewie (who was posting as Thought For Food back then) in particular.

Very entertaining.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Mod's not to bring up a sore subject - Was Amsterhammer really that out of line? He was upset clearly that his post had been censored but was there not a better way to cool that area down without having to banninate him?

Re:

Glenn_Wilson said:
Mod's not to bring up a sore subject - Was Amsterhammer really that out of line? He was upset clearly that his post had been censored but was there not a better way to cool that area down without having to banninate him?

The rate at which and reasons behind suspending/banning members is beyond absurd.
If you want a good laugh, take a look at the suspension thread. It is a great source of unintentional comedy.
I've enjoyed reading the contributions of a lot of intelligent people here over the years, and I really appreciate the fact that those who overlook this site have allowed free and unfettered discussion about doping. I've definitely learned a lot from those who know a lot more than me about the dark side of cycling and pro sports in general.
I know for sure that some members who had a lot of interesting things to say have gone elsewhere due to excessive moderation. I'm sure the job is not easy and is open to a lot of subjective interpretation, but one suggestion for moderators I have is not to be the focal point.
You guys are like referees in a game.
The game always becomes way less interesting when the referees become the main part of the story.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

Glenn_Wilson said:

For future reference (for all forum members) if a post of yours is deleted and you don't think there is a justifiable reason for it, the solution is not to post one angry message after another across multiple threads. Either post a single calm post in the moderators thread or PM one of us. It can be easy to allow oneself to be taken away be the anger they might feel at the moment, but in the long run a better resolution will be reached by remaining calm and approaching the situation rationally.

the delgados said:
Red Rick said:
So why aren't you guys allowed to continue that game again?

Think it's pretty douchy to try and forbid others from playing just because you got banned because of your own fault

Red Rick:
Foxxy has left the building.

Creating another account while serving a ban has always been a automatic permaban situation. In Foxxy's case, there wasn't any other course of action that could be taken. It's sad to lose someone that has been posting here for so long, but to be completely honest, he dug his own grave.

Jspear said:
Pricey_sky said:
Im gutted about Foxxy's ban, obviously I don't know what was said i'm just talking purely about GGTG reasons. It was a great game and I was on for a finish in the final table.

Ya, I feel you...loved the game as well.

@ Mods - I missed the whole meltdown. Did Foxxy want this game ended forever?
Yep. He even threatened legal action against anyone who ran it in his absence :rolleyes:

Re:

Red Rick said:
So why aren't you guys allowed to continue that game again?

Think it's pretty douchy to try and forbid others from playing just because you got banned because of your own fault

Foxxy has moved it now so we can continue playing, he's got all the online files ect so there's no way it could have continued without him anyway. To be fair its Foxxy's creation so if that was the decision I'd have respected it.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Afrank said:
Dear Wiggo said:
3-4 posts, no warning (?) and rock solid proof of his argument = excessive complaining by Sniper?

Interesting.

Mrhender his going to be posting something, but for now I'll just make it known that excessive complaining was taking into account more than what was posted in this thread. Multiple mods had a lot of correspondence with Sniper in private.
You exaggerate. Two mods do not make multiple. And "a lot of correspondence"?
You sent me one email with, if you don't mind me saying -and strictly imo- , a rather weak underpinning of my 1-month ban. I responded to that in a pretty normal way, explaining my view of things, but I got no response from you. Which is fair enough, I realize as a mod you don't owe me any explanation. But to call that "excessive complaining" and "a lot of correspondence". mkay.

And to be sure, i'm not asking for an apology, not at all. I think overall you guys doing a good job and i've stated as much plenty of times in here.
Just asking for something of an explanation so that I (and other interested posters) know what can and cannot be posted in the Lemond thread in the future.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

blutto said:
....don't know which part of this contretemps you were referring to in the bolded bit above but in the original fracas at the very least some of my posts were deleted and I was kindly PM'd by a mod telling me to back off from what the mod considered to be a situation that was not moving to a "good" outcome ....

Cheers
that's odd indeed.
I got no warning, no pm, and none of my posts were either moved or deleted.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

irondan said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
Yes, he was that out of line.
That is a shame because Amssterhammer has played by the rules here. I don't remember him getting out of line before. Truly a nice guy. I only say this because on most issues Amsterhammer and I are on opposite sides of the discussion and somehow someway we find a way to discuss without getting personal.

I respect you guys decision I just wanted to point out that Amsterhammer is a good member here and worthy of a second look or a pass.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

Glenn_Wilson said:
irondan said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
Yes, he was that out of line.
That is a shame because Amssterhammer has played by the rules here. I don't remember him getting out of line before. Truly a nice guy. I only say this because on most issues Amsterhammer and I are on opposite sides of the discussion and somehow someway we find a way to discuss without getting personal.

I respect you guys decision I just wanted to point out that Amsterhammer is a good member here and worthy of a second look or a pass.

....yeah, would like to second what Mr Wilson has stated above....and would like to add that Foxxy incident seemed to produce a kind of tension that may have been a contributing factor in AM's ban....if that in fact is the case perhaps a re-examination of the situation may be in order now that the storm has past and the sun is shining....

Cheers

AFAIK, Amster went crazy about a post that had been edited by mods, had not much to do with Foxxy tbh. He complained in several treads and kept pushing it although mods repeatedly told him to stop. I won't make any judgement to what extent the ban was justified, but I can understand that the mods got crazy about it, and he did not listen at all to their responses.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Re:

l.Harm said:
AFAIK, Amster went crazy about a post that had been edited by mods, had not much to do with Foxxy tbh. He complained in several treads and kept pushing it although mods repeatedly told him to stop. I won't make any judgement to what extent the ban was justified, but I can understand that the mods got crazy about it, and he did not listen at all to their responses.
...wanted to quote you for a balance.

my view of what happened to amster (and to that extent, to sniper, blackcat and even foxxy) isn't going to make me popular with the current mods. yet, i do feel that the 2 posts above i. harm's are excessively sweet. in fact, they represent a naturally understandable (yet quite inaccurate) view of a poster that belongs to their buddy system ...to add to the confusion, i agree most of the time with at least 1 of the artificial sweats, and i certainly don't support the majority of foxxy's views.

you see, i am willing to to 'take fire' from all sides...and i may later in fact face your ire if my younger daughter's stuff lets me.
'

python said:
l.Harm said:
...wanted to quote you for a balance.

my view of what happened to amster (and to that extent, to sniper, blackcat and even foxxy) isn't going to make me popular with the current mods. yet, i do feel that the 2 posts above i. harm's are excessively sweet. in fact, they represent a naturally understandable (yet quite inaccurate) view of a poster that belongs to their buddy system (a j-circle if you will)...to add to the confusion, i agree most of the time with at least 1 of the artificial sweats, and i certainly don't support the majority of foxxy's views. glen ? well, very little to glean anything solid there, imho ;) .

you see, i am willing to to 'take fire' from all sides...and i may later in fact face your ire if my younger daughter's stuff lets me.
'
I-harm described the events that led up to AH's ban accurately.

Status
Not open for further replies.