• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Member Suspension Appreciation/Depreciation Thread

Page 112 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
what an outrageous conspiracy theory, MarkvW!
Not sure why you are inventing things. ;)

for real, goading is the word. Funny how the mods punish it in the Sky threads, but allow RR to make it into an art.

goading 1:
http://forum.cyclingnews.imdserve.com/viewtopic.php?p=1774880&sid=8ae35da10d394fd9c9064f573246fbbc#p1774880

goading 2 (bottom of post):
http://forum.cyclingnews.imdserve.com/viewtopic.php?p=1774905&sid=8ae35da10d394fd9c9064f573246fbbc#p1774905

He also was pressing me to provide proof/evidence for a rumor. Think about it. Proof...for a rumor.
http://forum.cyclingnews.imdserve.com/viewtopic.php?p=1774824&sid=8ae35da10d394fd9c9064f573246fbbc#p1774824

And never mind that all those posts he is doing one thing: putting words in my mouth (ow the irony of irondan's post).
http://forum.cyclingnews.imdserve.com/viewtopic.php?p=1774952&sid=8ae35da10d394fd9c9064f573246fbbc#p1774952

It's stuff Sky trolls not rarely get banned for.
I reported it, nothing happened. Well something did happen, I got a month ban without prior warning for "trolling and baiting".

Here was my response to Race Radio, note the final phrase:
http://forum.cyclingnews.imdserve.com/viewtopic.php?p=1775044&sid=8ae35da10d394fd9c9064f573246fbbc#p1775044

Kafkaesque stuff, I tell you.
anyway, appreciate the background, puts things in perspective.

....just looked over some of the links and yeah it does look strange don't it....RR making a point that doesn't jive with the way medical studies are conducted, ends up presenting evidence that undercuts his point quite dramatically and then seemingly out the blue the mod hammer comes down ( not sure whether it was a direct response to the exchange btwn RR and myself or the situation was building toward a breaking point anyways....but like there wasn't anything overtly outrageous happening save that Team Lemond was not having a good day ....)...

....if one were of the conspiratorial persuasion one could draw some pretty fanciful conclusions ( as in, our position is being overrun by facts and reality, bring in the heaviest air support you got,immediately....or some such thing...)...

...sadly wasn't around to see the fracas that erupted after my last post in that thread as bedtime was calling....the morning after, carnage, the thread has been "sanitized", and several folks tossed....so don't know how the final chapter reads but am now fairly curious....

Cheers

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

blutto said:
sniper said:
what an outrageous conspiracy theory, MarkvW!
Not sure why you are inventing things. ;)

for real, goading is the word. Funny how the mods punish it in the Sky threads, but allow RR to make it into an art.

goading 1:
http://forum.cyclingnews.imdserve.com/viewtopic.php?p=1774880&sid=8ae35da10d394fd9c9064f573246fbbc#p1774880

goading 2 (bottom of post):
http://forum.cyclingnews.imdserve.com/viewtopic.php?p=1774905&sid=8ae35da10d394fd9c9064f573246fbbc#p1774905

He also was pressing me to provide proof/evidence for a rumor. Think about it. Proof...for a rumor.
http://forum.cyclingnews.imdserve.com/viewtopic.php?p=1774824&sid=8ae35da10d394fd9c9064f573246fbbc#p1774824

And never mind that all those posts he is doing one thing: putting words in my mouth (ow the irony of irondan's post).
http://forum.cyclingnews.imdserve.com/viewtopic.php?p=1774952&sid=8ae35da10d394fd9c9064f573246fbbc#p1774952

It's stuff Sky trolls not rarely get banned for.
I reported it, nothing happened. Well something did happen, I got a month ban without prior warning for "trolling and baiting".

Here was my response to Race Radio, note the final phrase:
http://forum.cyclingnews.imdserve.com/viewtopic.php?p=1775044&sid=8ae35da10d394fd9c9064f573246fbbc#p1775044

Kafkaesque stuff, I tell you.
anyway, appreciate the background, puts things in perspective.

....just looked over some of the links and yeah it does look strange don't it....RR making a point that doesn't jive with the way medical studies are conducted, ends up presenting evidence that undercuts his point quite dramatically and then seemingly out the blue the mod hammer comes down ( not sure whether it was a direct response to the exchange btwn RR and myself or the situation was building toward a breaking point anyways....but like there wasn't anything overtly outrageous happening save that Team Lemond was not having a good day ....)...

....if one were of the conspiratorial persuasion one could draw some pretty fanciful conclusions ( as in, our position is being overrun by facts and reality, bring in the heaviest air support you got,immediately....or some such thing...)...

...sadly wasn't around to see the fracas that erupted after my last post in that thread as bedtime was calling....the morning after, carnage, the thread has been "sanitized", and several folks tossed....so don't know how the final chapter reads but am now fairly curious....

Cheers

Bluto,

That was my read on things also. Fairly odd what went down there. Ironkids came in and slapped the banhammer around and someone done a bit of scrubbing. Maybe one day someone can discuss that without the thread being pressured into censor.

late

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
.....must have been quite a terse little exchange of views....jeez Aphro got tossed for heavens sake...and I slept thru it !....what a puss !....

Cheers

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
You are free to question the mods decisions in this thread.

You are also free to be critical, and have theories about why we do as we do.

What you are not free to do is insult, bait, or twisting the truth.

I will post something on these matters in due time.

Thank you.

Re:

mrhender said:

Thank you.

Not sure this explains what ensued and I don't think people want to be critical, they're still trying to understand what actually happened and why the decision was made to ban. A robust, entertaining and lively discussion ended up with one memeber (who's first language is not English) being banned for a month even when when that person thanked the other for bringing new points to the table they hadn't considered.

The explaination from the mods since has been like a Sky press conference! I jest! No part of the discussion has been deleted nor has it been indicated which part of the exchange was "lies", "baiting" and "twisting the truth".

From what I've read over I can't see how any mod (or otherwise) given time frame was able to read all the links etc. and make the serious deduction to ban for a month.

I don't see there is issue with considering LeMond may have doped just as much as Froome. That's not baiting. LeMond may not have doped but they doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed that he might have doped.

Without being critical, I think as mods we have to do a little better than that. If the ban was for 3 days I don't think anyone would care but one month with no actual direct indication on what caused the infraction creates an exodus to other forums.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't explain what ensued, nor was it intended to.

It was a general comment directed at some postings in this thread.
Not all having to do with the sniper ban.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

As said in the post I will post more on the matter at a later time.

Maybe that is taking too much time, but that is how it is.

You will all have to have some patience.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

thehog said:
mrhender said:

Thank you.

Not sure this explains what ensued and I don't think people want to be critical, they're still trying to understand what actually happened and why the decision was made to ban. A robust, entertaining and lively discussion ended up with one memeber (who's first language is not English) being banned for a month even when when that person thanked the other for bringing new points to the table they hadn't considered.

The explaination from the mods since has been like a Sky press conference! I jest! No part of the discussion has been deleted nor has it been indicated which part of the exchange was "lies", "baiting" and "twisting the truth".

From what I've read over I can't see how any mod (or otherwise) given time frame was able to read all the links etc. and make the serious deduction to ban for a month.

I don't see there is issue with considering LeMond may have doped just as much as Froome. That's not baiting. LeMond may not have doped but they doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed that he might have doped.

Without being critical, I think as mods we have to do a little better than that. If the ban was for 3 days I don't think anyone would care but one month with no actual direct indication on what caused the infraction creates an exodus to other forums.

....don't know which part of this contretemps you were referring to in the bolded bit above but in the original fracas at the very least some of my posts were deleted and I was kindly PM'd by a mod telling me to back off from what the mod considered to be a situation that was not moving to a "good" outcome ....

Cheers

blutto said:
thehog said:
mrhender said:

Thank you.

....don't know which part of this contretemps you were referring to in the bolded bit above but in the original fracas at the very least some of my posts were deleted and I was kindly PM'd by a mod telling me to back off from what the mod considered to be a situation that was not moving to a "good" outcome ....

Cheers

You were baiting and twisting the truth? If that was the case then you perhaps should have been banned.

Apologies if I missed the deleted posts, as they are now deleted I can no longer see them.

Re:

mrhender said:
It doesn't explain what ensued, nor was it intended to.

It was a general comment directed at some postings in this thread.
Not all having to do with the sniper ban.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

As said in the post I will post more on the matter at a later time.

Maybe that is taking too much time, but that is how it is.

You will all have to have some patience.

Thanks in advance.

Not a problem, I've never be critical of nor attempt to pressure the mods as others do.

Good luck, it's a thankless job.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

thehog said:
blutto said:
thehog said:
mrhender said:

Thank you.

Cheers

You were baiting and twisting the truth? If that was the case then you perhaps should have been banned.

Apologies if I missed the deleted posts, as they are now deleted I can no longer see them.

...baiting ? nah !....but most certainly engaged in a rather heated exchange where the other side was presenting material from which he was, either knowingly, or in ignorance of what the material actually signified, drawing rather incorrect conclusions to support his point of view...so if truth twisting was indeed occurring, from my perspective at least, it was done by others....

Cheers

I'd just like to register a polite request for moderators to go easy on handing out bans.
One of the most interesting and informative posters has been banned a second time in a two week period for reasons I can't comprehend.
I've been reading these boards for quite some time, and I can say with conviction that blackcat does not troll, nor does he bait.
I appreciate the role moderators play to keep things under control, but some seem a little trigger happy when handing out suspensions.
I'm assuming the majority of contributors are adults who know how to keep things reasonably respectful. No need to hand out bans for entirely unnecessary reasons.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i feel like seconding the delgados and benotti's surprise at the long ban of blackcat.

i'm not passing a judgement on the specific case of his posting that lead to the ban (i was not following), but what i do know is when one could decode his unique english in reference to the various subjects - he came across as a an intelligent poster not aiming at a conflict. baiting ? may be, but as likely a thought/reaction provoking post a moderator may have misinterpreted due to, as i said, the blackcat special lingo...

either way, i think the mod team has already shown its flexibility and wider reasoning when reconsidering a long ban for such content-adding poster as foxxy... whilst the circumstances might be quite different, i believe a 2nd look at blackcat might benefit the board as well.

Re:

mewmewmew13 said:
going to put in a good word for blackcat
he was most often witty and had a different slant. I didn't really see his style as attacking a poster but having a jab or jest

Hear hear.
It would be a shame to lose blackcat because someone doesn't get his sense of humour.
I mean no disrespect to the mods, but some really need to lighten up.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Blackcat has a way to post that is unique no doubt. I would hope someone will reconsider his bannianation.

According to the suspension area it was Iron Dad who brought down the ban hammer. Does anyone know who blackcat attacked? That is the explanation given so I'm curious who was attacked and in what manner? It might have been a misunderstanding due to the way blackcat posts????

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Re:

the delgados said:
I'd just like to register a polite request for moderators to go easy on handing out bans.
One of the most interesting and informative posters has been banned a second time in a two week period for reasons I can't comprehend.
I've been reading these boards for quite some time, and I can say with conviction that blackcat does not troll, nor does he bait.
I appreciate the role moderators play to keep things under control, but some seem a little trigger happy when handing out suspensions.
I'm assuming the majority of contributors are adults who know how to keep things reasonably respectful. No need to hand out bans for entirely unnecessary reasons.

Nope. They cant. Remember the mod-free zone after the forum overhaul? It was wild west.
So I think the banhammer being back makes the place better. In my opinion...

Status
Not open for further replies.