• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Member Suspension Appreciation/Depreciation Thread

Page 158 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Susan Westemeyer said:
Minds are made up. And stop with all this NOW. Any further postings testing the limits will be deleted.

That's a shame. He was a very good contributor in my opinion.

Cheers Blackcat if you're reading this, it was good to chat. #Zeno's_profound_paradox_pleonasm_alliterationz. Innit.

Perma banning blackcat is so *** infantile.
In addition to providing valuable insights regarding the doping culture in sports, he's a funny guy who never abused anyone.
Sure, he trolled the mods to a certain extent, but it was all in good fun. I can't speak for blackcat, but it seemed to me he was making fun of people who take things way too seriously.
This is not a forum for evangelical Christians, Mormons, or any religion that is uncomfortable with using swear words.
Everyone swears, so why pretend we don't?
That's just dumb.
P.S. Not to sound overly dramatic, but blackcat is one of the reasons I visit this web site on a daily basis. His contributions are worth reading for many reasons.
I will continue reading cycling news, but it's a shame that those with some semblance of power exert it in silly ways.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
.....damn it!, cause I like cats, a lot....yeah they can a bit of a load but at the end of the day a fun load....

....the following a wee homage to cats ( feel free to twist and paraphrase and spice to suit....but in there is a kernel that in my feeble mind sums er good eh...)....

nXAjxiq.jpg

...we'll miss you....mrrrrrrow....

Cheers

Re:

the delgados said:
Perma banning blackcat is so **** infantile.
In addition to providing valuable insights regarding the doping culture in sports, he's a funny guy who never abused anyone.
Sure, he trolled the mods to a certain extent, but it was all in good fun. I can't speak for blackcat, but it seemed to me he was making fun of people who take things way too seriously.
This is not a forum for evangelical Christians, Mormons, or any religion that is uncomfortable with using swear words.
That's just dumb.
Blackcat being permabanned wasn't because he used swear words, but I think everyone already knows that. His circumventing the swear filter was just the last in a long, long, long list of transgressions towards forum rules.

Blackcat has been banned 12 times previously, with one of the latest bans being a 6 month ban designed to give him a chance to redeem himself by not being permabanned for a permabanable offence. He has also been warned more than anyone in the history of this forum and pleaded with in PM's to follow forum rules. He chose to do his own thing anyway, in which we decided he will have to do elsewhere.

If you all wanted blackcat to post in the forum so badly maybe you guys could have helped explain to him that the forum has a set of rules that everyone agrees to in order to be a member. If you don't agree with our rules then you always have the option to not post comments here and find someplace else that is more in line with the way you want to live, as the internet is big and there's lots of options for everyone.

Listen closely... Blackcat was given more chances to post in this forum than anyone that I know of in the history of this forum, and ignored those chances "4 laffs". It's that simple and I feel bad that he decided to do his own thing, but it was his choice and his alone. He left forum staff with no other alternative.

Re: Re:

Irondan said:
the delgados said:
That's just dumb.
Blackcat being permabanned wasn't because he used swear words, but I think everyone already knows that. His circumventing the swear filter was just the last in a long, long, long list of transgressions towards forum rules.

Blackcat has been banned 12 times previously, with one of the latest bans being a 6 month ban designed to give him a chance to redeem himself by not being permabanned for a permabanable offence. He has also been warned more than anyone in the history of this forum and pleaded with in PM's to follow forum rules. He chose to do his own thing anyway, in which we decided he will have to do elsewhere.

If you all wanted blackcat to post in the forum so badly maybe you guys could have helped explain to him that the forum has a set of rules that everyone agrees to in order to be a member. If you don't agree with our rules then you always have the option to not post comments here and find someplace else that is more in line with the way you want to live, as the internet is big and there's lots of options for everyone.

Listen closely... Blackcat was given more chances to post in this forum than anyone that I know of in the history of this forum, and ignored those chances "4 laffs". It's that simple and I feel bad that he decided to do his own thing, but it was his choice and his alone. He left forum staff with no other alternative.

Irondan:
I totally understand why you guys made the decision to perma-ban blackcat. I have a lot of respect for the time you and others put in to make the forum a civilized place. You should be paid, but that's a topic for discussion elsewhere.
You guys do a good job purging the crazies, but blackcat was not one of them. He's operating on a level that some people don't seem to understand.
I'm gonna take a wild guess by saying some people feel uncomfortable applying for the mod position because the rules are way too stringent. There is no way I could suspend someone like blackcat from contributing to the forum (unless you paid me. I kid.)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

the delgados said:
That's just dumb.
P.S. Not to sound overly dramatic, but blackcat is one of the reasons I visit this web site on a daily basis. His contributions are worth reading for many reasons.
I will continue reading cycling news, but it's a shame that those with some semblance of power exert it in silly ways.

This^^^^

Nothing wrong with swimming against the tide. Only dead fish go with the flow..........

There will always be exception to rules.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
woah.

Sad to see this info on the blackcat.

I did read where he was giving directions on the issue. Seemed a little strange, that he pushed it that far, and I noticed that he was told to stop.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
..wanted to stay out of it, but decided to throw in my 5 worthless pennies.

the details, i hope, may help a change, but for now i'll just say that i see the cat banninaton as at least 3 problems:

1. his own. which essentially boils down to him being an internet hooligan seeking attention and (!) validation BUT NOT an internet heavy-duty troll/insulter/stooge bent on disrupting a forum as his main drive. irondan was spot on in one of his posts dealing with a driving example. little doubt, the cat often was seeking to flaunt moderation only to attain a popularity/rebel tag.
2. the forum rules re. the swear filters -- that is, those for which the cat got consistently hung -- being VERY OBVIOUSLY contradictory. as others have pointed out, some clearly and obviously offensive and insulting attributions are fine, while others wont get one in trouble if avoided. not good. nor a problem of a 'fukc' word user getting away, BUT a problem of a user showing creativity in avoiding the filter. like the cat often did.

does not make sense in my mind. neither in terms of the infraction gravity, nor in terms of the punishment suffered for the same 'filter avoidance' offense.

3. and this brings me to the last point - was the mod action/reaction appropriate or proportional wrt to the banninated offense, which, i repeat was AVOIDING THE SWEAR FILTER repeatedly while being warned many times NOT to do so.

it is clear that the cat quite intentionally disregarded the warning which apparently was, i am absolutely sure, was long on patience and restraint. i will stand by my opinion that dan and susan are reflective and NOT trigger happy...in such cases, invariably, an automatic reaction of those wielding the power would be the same. to ban. for a blatant disregard of the power.

yet, think about it. it was about blatantly disregarding a power-holder order vs violating a relatively minor rule like the swear filter.

that's where i want to depart. with the thought of whether a personal power sentiment, however well justified, should prevail over a proportional punishment over a relatively minor offense.

of course, blackcat being a popular contributor eventually benefiting the forum owner clicking stats only complicates the issue in terms of the practicality of the severe punishment for a minor, yes, repetitive offense.

my slant is simply to delay, avoid or reflect towards the automatism in applying a ban b/c it could be counterproductive.

I find it ridiculous to have a forum where one gets censored by saying "motherf", or something along those lines. We're not monks nor nuns, neither are such words blasphemes.
Not only that, but IRL anyone says what he wants and will get ignored if the listener wishes that, so he'll adjust his behavior, otherwise will be getting ignored constantly. The same can happen here, no need to have a team of moderators developing filters to avoid slang.

I don't know the blackcat personna, so I don't have any feeling towards him, only about the words filter issue.

One can curse and get ignored by those who want to ignore him, as in, by those whose principles don't go along with cursing, there is no need to have a "filter" to automatically censor it. We're not children, nor is this a kindergarten.

Ryo, for instance, was was constantly insulting and bitching other members and it took him too much of a long time to get perma banned.

There's one thing called free will. The will to ignore whatever one wants to ignore. No need to have automatic mechanisms to censor this or ignore that.

Re:

lenric said:
I find it ridiculous to have a forum where one gets censored by saying "motherf", or something along those lines. We're not monks nor nuns, neither are such words blasphemes.
Not only that, but IRL anyone says what he wants and will get ignored if the listener wishes that, so he'll adjust his behavior, otherwise will be getting ignored constantly. The same can happen here, no need to have a team of moderators developing filters to avoid slang.

I don't know the blackcat personna, so I don't have any feeling towards him, only about the words filter issue.

One can curse and get ignored by those who want to ignore him, as in, by those whose principles don't go along with cursing, there is no need to have a "filter" to automatically censor it. We're not children, nor is this a kindergarten.

Ryo, for instance, was was constantly insulting and bitching other members and it took him too much of a long time to get perma banned.

There's one thing called free will. The will to ignore whatever one wants to ignore. No need to have automatic mechanisms to censor this or ignore that.
Please read my previous explanations regarding the blackcat ban. In them you'll read that circumventing the swear filter is not what got him permabanned, it was just the thing that initiated the staff discussion WRT his dismissal from the forum. Everything he's done before this point is what got him banned.

We don't normally ban members for swearing, but deliberately circumventing the swear filter is a rule put in place by the forum owners. This rule has nothing to do with the mods, and everything to do with the owners of the forum and how they want their forum to look. If you or anyone else has an issue with the swear filter you should write an email to "Immediate Media" and complain about it.

Cheers :)

Irondan said:
lenric said:

Please read my previous explanations regarding the blackcat ban. In them you'll read that circumventing the swear filter is not what got him permabanned, it was just the thing that initiated the staff discussion WRT his dismissal from the forum. Everything he's done before this point is what got him banned.

We don't normally ban members for swearing, but deliberately circumventing the swear filter is a rule put in place by the forum owners. This rule has nothing to do with the mods, and everything to do with the owners of the forum and how they want their forum to look. If you or anyone else has an issue with the swear filter you should write an email to "Immediate Media" and complain about it.

Cheers :)

Ok Irondan, I'm sorry for my imprecision.
I reiterate that I wasn't addressing specifically his ban, but thanks for the clarification.

Cheers

Re:

ebandit said:
LOL just because words are allowed through swear filter does not always make them appropriate words to use...

i won't be missing BCs self indulgent posts

Mark L

I look forward to reading your incoherent and grammatically incorrect posts in future, ebandit!
Thanks for your input.
Seriously, I enjoy reading your posts, but your subjective interpretation does not matter, nor should it matter to the mods.
Which is why I have a problem with the permaban. Sure, he broke the stringent "rules' set out by the mods. I'm sure everyone here knows he was deliberately poking the bear, but he did it for a reason. It's for you to figure out if you don't understand why.

the delgados said:
ebandit said:

I look forward to reading your incoherent and grammatically incorrect posts in future, ebandit!
Thanks for your input.
Seriously, I enjoy reading your posts, but your subjective interpretation does not matter, nor should it matter to the mods.
Which is why I have a problem with the permaban. Sure, he broke the stringent "rules' set out by the mods. I'm sure everyone here knows he was deliberately poking the bear, but he did it for a reason. It's for you to figure out if you don't understand why.

LOL .............let everyone know when i'm perma banninated

.......i know i'm a jumped up wannabe thinking i can state my opinion on..........a forum

Mark L

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
BullsFan22 said:
So Sniper chose not to come back to the forum after his ban was up? That's a pity, because he had some good stuff in the Clinic.

I wonder how many users decide not post anymore after their bans end, irrespective of the length of the ban. I've noticed a few others have done the same. Oh well.
Thanks Bullsfan, appreciate it.

To be honest, I simply didn't have time to post in the past couple of weeks/months (and won't have in the coming weeks either).
The ban didn't have much to do with it. Sure, I thought it was exaggerated, but I thought the same about my previous bans :D and still I kept coming back. This place is just too good and I'm still reading in here on a daily basis.
So the fact I've stopped posting is mainly due to a lack of time, plus the fact that I got more active on twitter (you find me there as @ewonsprokler), and although I don't tweet much at the moment, that platform is giving me all i need for now.

Having said that, I will definitely be back here when I have more time on my hands (Lemond fans behold ;) ).
Posters like yourself, benotti, thehitch, freddythefrog, veganrob, blutto, semperfidelis, tienus, kingboonen, cathwoorg, and a host of others (even most of the guys I used to be at odds with in the Lemond thread) are well worth coming back for.

While I find twitter to be more dynamic (and at the moment also better informed), the Clinic has the undeniable advantage that things remain searchable and discussions don't just disappear. It's still - and it will remain - with some distance the best forum for discussing doping. And (anti)doping is the gift that keeps giving.

Rest assured, Team Sky's skeletons will come falling out of the closet. It is a matter of when, not if.
And when they do, there will be a lot to talk about. As Digger has repeatedly hinted at, there is so much info out there, but it's 'with the lawyers', so to say.
The motor issue will also gain new traction sooner than later, I'm quite confident, and seeing as UCI are balls deep involved in the cover up that will give plenty to talk about, too.
So certainly, come TdF, I'll be unable to help myself and chime in here to spout nonsense and spread unsubstantiated rumors. :D

A real pity about blackcat. Suffice to say The Cat will not be forgotten.

Catch y'all later.

sniper said:
BullsFan22 said:
So Sniper chose not to come back to the forum after his ban was up? That's a pity, because he had some good stuff in the Clinic.

I wonder how many users decide not post anymore after their bans end, irrespective of the length of the ban. I've noticed a few others have done the same. Oh well.

To be honest, I simply didn't have time to post in the past couple of weeks/months (and won't have in the coming weeks either).

Are you implying that you actually have a life? :eek:
You mean, you aren't sitting at home in front of the computer all day?

sniper said:
BullsFan22 said:

The ban didn't have much to do with it. Sure, I thought it was exaggerated, but I thought the same about my previous bans :D and still I kept coming back. This place is just too good and I'm still reading in here on a daily basis.
So the fact I've stopped posting is mainly due to a lack of time, plus the fact that I got more active on twitter (you find me there as @ewonsprokler), and although I don't tweet much at the moment, that platform is giving me all i need for now.

Having said that, I will definitely be back here when I have more time on my hands (Lemond fans behold ;) ).
Posters like yourself, benotti, thehitch, freddythefrog, veganrob, blutto, semperfidelis, tienus, kingboonen, cathwoorg, and a host of others (even most of the guys I used to be at odds with in the Lemond thread) are well worth coming back for.

While I find twitter to be more dynamic (and at the moment also better informed), the Clinic has the undeniable advantage that things remain searchable and discussions don't just disappear. It's still - and it will remain - with some distance the best forum for discussing doping. And (anti)doping is the gift that keeps giving.

Rest assured, Team Sky's skeletons will come falling out of the closet. It is a matter of when, not if.
And when they do, there will be a lot to talk about. As Digger has repeatedly hinted at, there is so much info out there, but it's 'with the lawyers', so to say.
The motor issue will also gain new traction sooner than later, I'm quite confident, and seeing as UCI are balls deep involved in the cover up that will give plenty to talk about, too.
So certainly, come TdF, I'll be unable to help myself and chime in here to spout nonsense and spread unsubstantiated rumors. :D

A real pity about blackcat. Suffice to say The Cat will not be forgotten.

Catch y'all later.

So to summarize, trolling works better on an unmoderated media channel with legions of uninformed and reactive participants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS