• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Member Suspension Appreciation/Depreciation Thread

Page 121 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
How does someone who joined 17 Jul 2015 18:46 and has over 460+ posts only get found out now for being a sockpuppet of a previously permabanned poster?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:
How does someone who joined 17 Jul 2015 18:46 and has over 460+ posts only get found out now for being a sockpuppet of a previously permabanned poster?
I thought someone mentioned this before about the time the member started posting and was told to shut down the accusations. But good point I guess. Maybe the force was strong with this one?

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps we need a positive test( or at least overwhelming evidence) before we can, and will ban a user for being a previously banned user.

Sometimes these things are a clear cut from the get-go.

And other times it isn't.

I can tell you though, that we look into every serious and well-founded report/pm about sockpuppetry with all our energies.

We don't shut down accusations. This has been covered before.
We just want you all to use the proper channels.

All in all we have certain standards and rules for when to push the button.
This doesn't mean that we "just found out" about any given poster, at any given time we announce the suspension.

Re:

Benotti69 said:
the poster was called out many times iirc and no doubt reported many more times.

Well done whoever sussed it. Can their posts be deleted?

Deleting the account, including all comments posted by the banned member is not something we will do.

It'll create too many holes in threads and it will destroy any chance for us to identify future trolls if we set this precedent again.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

irondan said:
Benotti69 said:
the poster was called out many times iirc and no doubt reported many more times.

Well done whoever sussed it. Can their posts be deleted?

Deleting the account, including all comments posted by the banned member is not something we will do.

It'll create too many holes in threads and it will destroy any chance for us to identify future trolls if we set this precedent again.

Fair enough.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Re:

mrhender said:
Perhaps we need a positive test( or at least overwhelming evidence) before we can, and will ban a user for being a previously banned user.

Sometimes these things are a clear cut from the get-go.

And other times it isn't.

I can tell you though, that we look into every serious and well-founded report/pm about sockpuppetry with all our energies.

We don't shut down accusations. This has been covered before.
We just want you all to use the proper channels.

All in all we have certain standards and rules for when to push the button.
This doesn't mean that we "just found out" about any given poster, at any given time we announce the suspension.

congratulations on your fine work

I don't know the issues surrounding it but disappointing to read ebandit was banned for "abuse of the reporting system". Appears he is just trying to get people banned. Looks like his MO has been busted if it wasn't already obvious what his intention has been for some time. No contribution, attempting to get people banned to the detriment of the forum.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
So yet another ban and utterly clueless as to why. But since I am such an unwanted and disruptive presence on the boards I shall remove myself so save other members from having to contend with such an unpleasant troll as I clearly am. Moderation on these boards lurches from non-existent to completely over-the-top, and wildly inconsistent inbetween. I'm tired of being judged and insulted by the mods without knowing what I have done wrong, and never knowing whether I'll just find myself with another ban the next time I sign in, with no clue as to what post triggered it.

Anyway congrats, you have one less troll on the boards.

Re:

JimmyFingers said:
So yet another ban and utterly clueless as to why. But since I am such an unwanted and disruptive presence on the boards I shall remove myself so save other members from having to contend with such an unpleasant troll as I clearly am. Moderation on these boards lurches from non-existent to completely over-the-top, and wildly inconsistent inbetween. I'm tired of being judged and insulted by the mods without knowing what I have done wrong, and never knowing whether I'll just find myself with another ban the next time I sign in, with no clue as to what post triggered it.

You'll be back, don't worry. Give you 3 days, max.

We all get banned at some point, just chill out and move on.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Re:

JimmyFingers said:

goodbye

Re:

King Boonen said:
The vast majority of members on this site get along just fine and never get suspended. I struggle to get my head around the concept that someone could get banned and not have any idea why.

Because they don't accept the explanation offered.

No one gets banned for behavioral infractions without multiple warnings. Don't think it's any more complicated than that, but I think your comment was rhetorical and understood this. Just agreeing.

ban

red_flanders said:
King Boonen said:
No one gets banned for behavioral infractions without multiple warnings. Don't think it's any more complicated than that, but I think your comment was rhetorical and understood this. Just agreeing.

..........not always.....i have been banned various times for minor infractions...........never was

warned first.......other members are warned in thread etc........i guess? i have a face mods

don't like.....................

Mark L

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
I wonder if ebandit reports his own posts as much as he does to everyone attempting to get them banned. If you're debating skills is trying to get others banned then you don't have a lot to say.

I'm glad to see the mods have finally taken a stand against this cheap tactic to get people banned.

I've been told my posts get reported all the time. No doubt ebandit is one of them.

It's quite sad that people go to such lengths to get people banned when they disagree with their well crafted and reasoned posts. I don't have the time, nor the motivation to go around reporting posts of people I don't like, so again, thanks to the mods for making it a more level playing field in the clinic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS