• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Menchov absolutely crushed it today

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Well, Contador and Andy are way closer to each other than Contador/Schleck to Menchov.

That's what I meant really. No need to nitpick.

They were this year. But there was a big difference last year (Albero was a lot stronger than Andy) and who knows how it will look like next year. Thing is Denis is there with the best and if there will be a Tour for a TT-er in the future, he can be very strong.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
wiggins started 25th or 24th

menchov 4th

so 33 minutes give or take is what i work it out as.

so wind may have been much worse for menchov.

Actually the time gaps were 2 minutes until the top 20 -- Wiggins started 56 minutes ahead of Menchov. Although I don't know how much worse the wind was that hour later.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
To be fair to Wiggins, crap tour, but he beat Menchov today, and absolutely stuffed everyone else setting off in the last 40.

Well, the way he was climbing this year he must have kept a great deal of energy in reserve for the ITT.;)

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Do you guys realize that if Menchov wins the Tour, he'll be the 4th rider in history to have won all 3 GTs?

It just dawned on me. A phenomenal accomplishment.
5 riders have won all 3 GT - Merckx, Hinault, Anquetil, Gimondi and Contador
anyway it would be massive if Denis did it

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Crushed it?

I think this should read: Cancellara absolutely crushed it today! ;) (Joke)

I do think Menchov had a great ride, but he's a big lad, the 2 mountain goats had a much bigger problem dealing with the wind!

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
cody_57 said:
I think this should read: Cancellara absolutely crushed it today! ;) (Joke)

I do think Menchov had a great ride, but he's a big lad, the 2 mountain goats had a much bigger problem dealing with the wind!

Yeah it should read that. I notice the motor theory muppets have quietened down today. Funny that!:rolleyes:

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Would have been interesting to see if Menchov would have won the TT if the wind had been the same for everyone, but that's just part of the game. Schleck rode the TT of his life I guess to get so close to Contador and to keep Menchov at bay.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Lost in the talk of AC and AS seems to have been an absolutely dominating performance by Menchov today.

He put nearly 2:00 into Contador. That's a spectacular amount of time, and it raises some questions about next year. Clearly, this year's podium finishers are the class of professional cycling's GC contenders.

Menchov might have also thought that if Schleck were to have a bad day, he could wind up 2nd.

TRENDING THREADS