• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Menchov absolutely crushed it today

Lost in the talk of AC and AS seems to have been an absolutely dominating performance by Menchov today.

He put nearly 2:00 into Contador. That's a spectacular amount of time, and it raises some questions about next year. Clearly, this year's podium finishers are the class of professional cycling's GC contenders.

Next year, the consensus seems to be that AS will be stronger than AC. However, Menchov didn't lose a lot of time in the mountains, really, and with such a performance in the TT, he could really threaten for the win next year. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that we'll see a 1-2 battle between AC and AS next year.

saganftw said:
it depends coz he s got no contract,he may as well go to katusha...will rodriguez be willing to work for him? he left caisse because of the same reason

i will be interesting though,if he focus again on TdF next year

I thought Rodriguez left because they wouldn't select him for the Tour, not necessarily because he wanted to lead, but because he got great results and still wasn't chosen for the A-team at the TdF. Although I guess he's equalled Valverde's best Tour finish with his 8th place.

As for the OP, it's tough to speculate without a route, but yeah, should be a good tour next year. It was nice to actually have some (well-founded) doubts about whether Contador could win, the rivalry will be good between those 2, and hopefully some others can step up.

I do think part of the succes is due to Gesink limiting the damage for Menchov on the Tourmalet and the Madeleine, although Gesink was mainly doing that for himself, it did help Menchov

Menchov is better with a steady pace, if the chasers kept jumping then he might have lost more time those stages

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Uh.. While Menchov obviously rode a great Tour he just isn't on the same level as Schleck/Contador. Every time those two decided to not hold back in the mountains Menchov lost a lot of time. They could have easily made a much bigger gap on the other GC contenders if they wanted to.

Can Denis have another Tour where he doesn't crash and the weather is so good for him ? I think this is probably the best he's ever been - even better than his GT victories

I've been disappointed with the way they used Gesink - thought he was going to ride a much more attacking race - but I suppose it's a results business and it's hard to argue that Menchov and Gesink could have finished any higher up GC

Eyeballs Out said:
Can Denis have another Tour where he doesn't crash and the weather is so good for him ? I think this is probably the best he's ever been - even better than his GT victories

I've been disappointed with the way they used Gesink - thought he was going to ride a much more attacking race - but I suppose it's a results business and it's hard to argue that Menchov and Gesink could have finished any higher up GC
The plan was for Gesink to attack on the final climbs... the problem is he couldn't.

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Denis was superb today. the only guy who beat him in the wind was wiggo. almost 2mins on contador, who expected it? He really needs to do smth with those rest days, now it's clear, that he lost the Tour on the stages following them.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Eyeballs Out said:

They should have joined the Cervelo guys in stage 2 ignoring whatever Cancellara said at the time.

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Uh.. While Menchov obviously rode a great Tour he just isn't on the same level as Schleck/Contador. Every time those two decided to not hold back in the mountains Menchov lost a lot of time. They could have easily made a much bigger gap on the other GC contenders if they wanted to.

nobody is on the same level

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
A tour with two tts and no cobble would make him beat andy in theory but reality is andy wouldnt have ****ed about on Ax3 and AC AS would have earned another minute

Dekker_Tifosi said:
The wind became much worse when Menchov started. Wiggins started at least 50 minutes earlier I think? :confused:

wiggins started 25th or 24th

menchov 4th

for 170- 10 its 1 min gaps
for 10-1 gap is 3 minutes

so 15 minutes to 10
18 from 10 to 4

so 33 minutes give or take is what i work it out as.

so wind may have been much worse for menchov.

TRENDING THREADS