• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Menchov

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not really. If the biopassport is consistent up until then, even if it was only consistent because there were consistently maintained doped values, they can't really take away the results until the fluctuations begin. If the fluctuations that have been used as evidence Denis doped only commenced at the Tour in 2009 they can't really take away that Giro.

The real question is, given all of the others have had their results taken away in clearly defined time blocks, why has Menchov only had his Tour results taken away and been allowed to keep others, when they've gone postal on Hoste and Barredo?

I feel quite bad for accidentally helping to publicise this, mainly because I always kinda liked Menchov, and I was a Carlos Barredo fan and wished he could return.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
While I don't find it strange that Menchov got pinged, what I find very strange is the stripping of some titles/placings and not others in the same years. How do you figure that out?

What I don't find at all unusual is that this wasn't announced via a press release.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
I got the impression that it was effectively a deal with Menchov. Bio-passport cases tend to be long and complicated, so getting Menchov to no-contest is probably worth letting him keep his results.

Franklin said:
Robbie, why don't we do the same for tax evaders and speed offenders?

It's done for anybody that is arrested publicly, and there are public websites for sex offenders to search your area here in the States to see exactly where they live.

Tax evaders and speeders aren't necessarily that clear cut with a big differences in opinions on those topics. Is 1 mph over the limit something we should be concerned about? Or a flawed screwed up tax system where 50% of people don't pay a single penny into it?

Yet, most will agree, when it comes to the integrity of cycling and the sport, that isn't a bad idea really. You sign an agreement that this part of your licenses is under scrutiny and there is no expectation of privacy regarding things. Post up the things relevant to cases, instead of some secret case that has been ongoing for over a year now without anybody knowing anything.

Yet other cyclist have been put on notice by the UCI publicly about bio-passport cases that are open. Why one guy gets the cloak of secrecy, and another it put on public blast is inconsistent at best. Credibility damaged once again UCI. Cookson is a fool. He has done a terrible job with the latest issues regarding TUE/doping in just the past month now.

William H said:
I got the impression that it was effectively a deal with Menchov. Bio-passport cases tend to be long and complicated, so getting Menchov to no-contest is probably worth letting him keep his results.

That doesn't sound unreasonable to me. The opportunity cost of getting lawyers, testers and officials tied up in a long case against a rider who will be off the road anyway might be multiple new cases against active riders.
Still a bit odd how the "news" (or "olds") was slipped out, though it could easily be part of the deal that UCI keeps as quiet as possible about it.

Justico

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
i guess you can tell who's doping looking how they smile

tumblr_n8m59qUr3G1ropreyo1_1280.jpg

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Have to wonder what Menchov's legal team did

@BrianCooksonUCI
Thanks all, understand concern and welcome your comments, uncomfortable though they may be. Will comment further on this in due course.But not on Twitter. Complex situation with legal complications. My commitment to transparency continues but have to respect due process.

Libertine Seguros said:
Not really. If the biopassport is consistent up until then, even if it was only consistent because there were consistently maintained doped values, they can't really take away the results until the fluctuations begin. If the fluctuations that have been used as evidence Denis doped only commenced at the Tour in 2009 they can't really take away that Giro.

The real question is, given all of the others have had their results taken away in clearly defined time blocks, why has Menchov only had his Tour results taken away and been allowed to keep others, when they've gone postal on Hoste and Barredo?

I feel quite bad for accidentally helping to publicise this, mainly because I always kinda liked Menchov, and I was a Carlos Barredo fan and wished he could return.

And the travesty is you don't get the recognition and hrotha suggested a justice for libertine sequros thing :D:D

Benotti69 said:
The bio blood passport was not supposed to be about an anomaly per race, it was about finding doping over a period where through changes in blood values, therefore riders were going to be sanctioned and lose everything over that period. So Menchov did not dope to win the Giro but doped and didn't win the TdF. Yeah right

This sport sure has cleaned up.

Makes sense, in a perverse way...

roundabout said:
Normal values = doped up to the eyeballs

That being the perverse way.

Giro = doped to the eyeballs= normal values

Tour = Doped from head to toe.

Dave.

Race Radio said:
Have to wonder what Menchov's legal team did

@BrianCooksonUCI
Thanks all, understand concern and welcome your comments, uncomfortable though they may be. Will comment further on this in due course.But not on Twitter. Complex situation with legal complications. My commitment to transparency continues but have to respect due process.

1. That does make perfect sense.

2. Notably, this is a level of candor that neither Phat nor Nein could even contemplate.

3. Yet, unfortunately, it still doesn't square with the new 'policy' of no press releases.

#3 is a failure of logic. You cannot be transparent, and cannot 'shame' dopers, if you don't say anything. Cookson's statement is a logic failure. Thus, as noted by many already, this is uncomfortably consistent with the past regime.

:fp

Fail.

Dave.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Omerta still strong

Frans Maassen (Belkin/Rabobank) about the Menchov case: “It's a surprise”

http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/1001/W...ssen-over-Menchov-Het-is-een-verrassing.dhtml

Guys like Maassen still enabling the culture.
a surprise?
Maybe i go live in the same cave Maassen lives in just to get an idea of how friggin dark and isolated that cave is.

maassen, knaven, some rotten dutch apples who've been lucky to not get caught with their hands in the cooky jar.
keepers of the culture indeed.

In this forum, in the 2014 is the year of clean cycling thread. I found the doc when looking for some news on Vladislav Gorbunov's ban after last year's Volta a Portugal. The Menchov bit was just one of the interesting titbits I noticed, but I assumed I must have missed something. Then a couple of hours later hrotha found that it had only at that kind of time hit the news on twitter. I don't know if I was the first to find it, but I was certainly among them.

I also had no idea that the document had only just been updated (July 10th, uploaded 11th). It's sheer blind luck that I found it. So I'm in the position of trying to deprecate any involvement I may have had at the same time as kinda thinking, if there is any credit warranted my way, I want to have it :p

TRENDING THREADS