• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Meteor strike injures 950 in Russia

Impact site found:

images

;)

May 13, 2009
Visit site
The whole thing might have burnt up in the atmosphere. People got injured by glass splinters flying around from the pressure pulse created by the explosion. It's not like 1000 people got hit by small pieces of space rock. I don't know it there's any crater. But yeah, if people do find pieces, they can be worth a lot.

Anybody's watching the meteorite men on discovery?

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Incoming!!!!!!

A meteorite hit about 10 miles from where I live almost 3 years ago. Lots of people saw the flaming sky, the shock wave made one person I know think the building she was in was collapsing. Then within a few days the area experienced a steady stream of news people and meteorite hunters from all over. The landing path was over mostly private land with hilly ravines, woods etc so the main chunk was never found. The little bits people did find were worth some money..... whenever I'd ride past some hunters with their magnet-sticks I'd shout, "INCOMING!!!!" The riders thought it funny, the hunters not so much.

Fox News said casualties in Russia were over 1200. Those Murdocks!

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
This should not come anywhere near that close. but it will be live.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCFWUemLzM0

A gigantic asteroid nearly 900 feet wide will race past planet Earth tonight, a harmless but sobering reminder of the dangers posed by such interplanetary visitors.

On Monday, Feb. 17, at approximately 9:00p.m. EST, the Slooh space telescope will broadcast a live video stream and scientific discussion about the silent visitor, which will be traveling at approximately 27,000 miles per hour when it soars safely past the planet.

The asteroid, called NEA 2000 EM26, will come no closer than 8.8 lunar distances from Earth -- a measure of the distance between us and the moon -- and poses no threat to us.

But awareness of asteroids is our best means of keeping ourselves safe, said Slooh’s technical and research director, Paul Cox.

“We continue to discover these potentially hazardous asteroids -- sometimes only days before they make their close approaches to Earth,” he said in a statement. “We need to find them before they find us!”

krebs303 said:
This should not come anywhere near that close. but it will be live.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCFWUemLzM0

A gigantic asteroid nearly 900 feet wide will race past planet Earth tonight, a harmless but sobering reminder of the dangers posed by such interplanetary visitors.

On Monday, Feb. 17, at approximately 9:00p.m. EST, the Slooh space telescope will broadcast a live video stream and scientific discussion about the silent visitor, which will be traveling at approximately 27,000 miles per hour when it soars safely past the planet.

The asteroid, called NEA 2000 EM26, will come no closer than 8.8 lunar distances from Earth -- a measure of the distance between us and the moon -- and poses no threat to us.

But awareness of asteroids is our best means of keeping ourselves safe, said Slooh’s technical and research director, Paul Cox.

“We continue to discover these potentially hazardous asteroids -- sometimes only days before they make their close approaches to Earth,” he said in a statement. “We need to find them before they find us!”

Krebby make sure you are inside at 6 tonight

TRENDING THREADS