• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Miami doping ring implicates MLB stars

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
Note that, like the big cycling busts it was based on outside investigation into a clinic rather than actual testing. Still, the economic impact to a suspended player making $10mil + is huge.
Now the NBA...

macro level, i suggest it is zero sum and does not make a diff.

obviously, for the individual concerned, it is a significant loss. but those mlb athletes and other pro sport leagues in n america, none of those athletes get there without the dope.

armstrong might have 100mill net wealth pre-civil suits. but sans dope, he would be a recreational triathlete. so instead of telling oprah it was a 60 million dollar day, perhaps that was the wrong equation.

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Andynonomous said:
Ferrer (95% likely doper imo)
- Spanish
- Very late career success, despite being a defensive minded player (most defensive minded players, peak early - ie. Michael Chang, Jim Courier, Bjorn Borg, Mats Wilander,...)
- Enormous stamina
QUOTE]

:D

Oldman said:
Note that, like the big cycling busts it was based on outside investigation into a clinic rather than actual testing. Still, the economic impact to a suspended player making $10mil + is huge.
Now the NBA...

I've always wondered how the fans would react if LeBron tested positive...

blackcat said:
obviously, for the individual concerned, it is a significant loss. but those mlb athletes and other pro sport leagues in n america, none of those athletes get there without the dope.

Disagree 100%. Next to cycling, I know professional baseball almost as well. I have longtime friends who played the game, have coached at the Major League level, and have worked in several front offices and the commissioner's office. I played up through college myself.

While it is a fact that there are a number of professional ballplayers on PEDs, and that number is higher than the players, teams, MLBPA and Bud Selig would care to admit or want you to know, a blanket statement that "none of those athletes get there without the dope" is patently false.

There are plenty of ballplayers who make it without cheating. Baseball, unlike cycling, requires a much more diverse natural skill set for success. While people snidely argue as to whether ballplayers should even be called "athletes", it takes far too many skills that can't be improved by PED's to be successful: hand-eye coordination, vision, reaction time, natural mechanical ability to throw a ball or swing a bat all contribute to success.

If you're a pitcher or power hitter will PED's help? You bet. Plus, chicks dig the long ball.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Tony Bosch, Biogenesis founder, has been charged by the Feds for "distributing steroids" according to Fox. This has taken awhile but is seen as another opportunity to get more disclosure into the system that bought down a number of MLB stars. For those that thought major US sports weren't serious about enforcement; we'll see where this goes.
The Feds have no list of stars "too big to fail"....

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Oldman said:
Tony Bosch, Biogenesis founder, has been charged by the Feds for "distributing steroids" according to Fox. This has taken awhile but is seen as another opportunity to get more disclosure into the system that bought down a number of MLB stars. For those that thought major US sports weren't serious about enforcement; we'll see where this goes.
The Feds have no list of stars "too big to fail"....

MLB was very proactive in obtaining the names of Biogenesis clients, though the NBA and whatever tennis fed might apply seemingly have zero interest despite it being reported numerous places that basketball and tennis players were also clients.

Bannockburn said:
MLB was very proactive in obtaining the names of Biogenesis clients, though the NBA and whatever tennis fed might apply seemingly have zero interest despite it being reported numerous places that basketball and tennis players were also clients.

The details of the bolded are pretty fascinating. They include paying cash for documents from an anonymous source. And then using those documents as if they were acquired through some legitimate means.

MLB role in the affair is very interesting reading. The UCI doesn't even come close to the levels of impropriety displayed by MLB.

Very interesting to see Bosch litigated. Wouldn't it be great if I could call up law enforcement/judicial and get a case opened. It's who you know.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
zlev11 said:
i wonder if it will come out that Lebron James was involved at all. there were rumors about him and other NBA players around a few years ago. oh god that would be glorious.

MLB had Congress threaten their monopoly and the result was largely window dressing enforcement until this source became known. I would doubt MLB knew about it before the Feds. Whether any other sports will have issues to deal with remain to be seen.
I'm not eager to see every star brought down but if there was a sport geared to blood value management the NBA would be it. You can smell the 'roids at a game.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
zlev11 said:
yeah, Lebron is one of the most obvious doped athletes in the world IMO. it would be wonderful to see him get the Lance treatment.

He appears to be a much nicer person than Lance...in his commercials. He's not claiming to cure any major diseases unless he starts an Ebola Awarenessfoundation tomorrow...

Oldman said:
I would doubt MLB knew about it before the Feds.

Just to be clear, the timeline goes.
-Newspaper breaks huge story on Biogenesis
-MLB scrambles.
-1 year later, Feds charge anit-aging clinic owner for selling more than anti-aging services.
-Looks like Bosch did a deal because the charge news syncs with the plea.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseb...stolen-but-bought-records-anyway-in-1.7984717

Anyone from MLB charged? Didn't think so.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2014/08/biogenesis_scandal_tony_bosch_charged_by_feds.php

And I was being unfair. The Feds apparently got started from the newspaper story and documents on which the story was based.