• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Michael Matthews Appreciation Thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Would love to see him win a monument. I thought he might have won one by now. Still racking up the podiums. If Gerrans can win one, Matthews should be able to do the same.
He definitely could but might need to go to another team to get more opportunities. He obviously wanted and expected to do the Tour + classics this year instead of the Giro. 6th in his first RVV, you'd think they'd let him go back.

I'd have much rather seen him do Liége, Brabantse Pijl, Amstel and Flanders. Who knows, maybe he'd have finally given Roubaix a go as well?

Reactions: movingtarget
Wait till the Australian National Team doesn't choose him because they want to ride for Porte only.

That went well two years ago...

Porte's not good enough to ride the world's, though Brad McGee doesn't have much idea - McGee is the same guy who at the world's in 2015 or 2016 had four riders to support Gerrans and three riders support Matthews - For this world's you make Haig the leader who could get a top 10 on this course - Finally, I doubt Matthews will get a gig in the World's in 2020.

It had nothing to do with Gerrans - Why do people perpetuate foundless rumours - My previous post gave the reasons.

Good that you know what goes on inside Matthews' head... Of course it had to do with Gerrans, Matthews must have been sick of not getting opportunities (in all the races he would want) because the team was fond of their long-time star, even if he was beginning to decline.

Porte's not good enough to ride the world's, though Brad McGee doesn't have much idea - McGee is the same guy who at the world's in 2015 or 2016 had four riders to support Gerrans and three riders support Matthews - For this world's you make Haig the leader who could get a top 10 on this course - Finally, I doubt Matthews will get a gig in the World's in 2020.

Of course Porte is not good enough, he wasn't in 2018 either. It was shocking that he was left out. The guy who had been top four in the previous three editions.

It's not exactly as if I would put Matthews at the top of the list of favourites for the Worlds but he certainly should be given a spot if he wishes to have one.

TRENDING THREADS