• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mick Rogers

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He was a sly prediction for the 2009 TdF, with the thinking that as he was the virtual MJ on the road in 2007 when he crashed, and then didn't ride in 2008, so his stealthy return in 2009 when all the talk was about contador, lance, schleck he was going to suprise them all!

Well that was how somebody built him up, maybe an article I read here at CN.

Potomac said:
He was a sly prediction for the 2009 TdF, with the thinking that as he was the virtual MJ on the road in 2007 when he crashed, and then didn't ride in 2008, so his stealthy return in 2009 when all the talk was about contador, lance, schleck he was going to suprise them all!

Well that was how somebody built him up, maybe an article I read here at CN.

Just go up the thread to find someone saying he would have won the 2007 Tour if he had not crashed. Evidently, based on half a day--the only day that I can remember--of decent performance in a GT, Rogers was going to outclimb Rasmussen, Contador, Evans, and Leipheimer. ;)

Rogers, just like Tommy D., should be targeting short stage races.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Rogers, just like Tommy D., should be targeting short stage races.

I agree with you there. While Rogers can place in the top 10 in a GT, I don't think he can podium. He has shown he can get results in the shorter stage races and that is where he should concentrate. I still think the comparison to TD is wrong. I would like TD to do much better, but I think too much pressure was put on him as the next Lance and he never had the talent, skills and/or motivation to be able to live up to the hype. Not his fault, just reality. Still, Tommy D falls way short of Rogers in terms of both his palmares and talent realized.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
of course everyone has their own views, but rogers wasn't named by sinkewitz as going to freiberg, according to the UCI.

Rogers and Sink were tight from their time at Mapei, Quickstep, and Ferrari.