• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mid level training/racing wheels for Campy

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm making the switch to 11sp record in the next few weeks and because of Shimano's incompatibility with their wheels, I'm going to have to get new ones.

I'm looking at mid-tier ones I can use for training, but are good enough for racing when I don't want to pull out the zipps.

I was thinking something along the lines of Campagnolo Zonda or Fulcrum 3s.

Out of those two which do you recommend? What are other decent wheelsets in that category?

Thanks for your help!

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I've had a pair of Zondas for 4 years and love them. They have fairly low miles, but I've never had to true them or anything. Truly great mid-level wheels, in my opinion, and I run them with a DuraAce drivetrain. You might even consider the 2-way fit ones to run tubeless, if you're so inclined.
For the money, I think they are pretty hard to beat. I'd take them over Ksyrium Elites.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Zonda or Eurus are great wheels not as light as some but good stiff wheels you may want to try the two way fit tubeless system it definatly is different feels nice to ride.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
@brian, you cant compare Zonda with Eurus; the first are anchors while the second are much much lighter.
I got the chance to try the Eurus and they are super sweet wheels, probably the best clincer I have ever tried.

@Kakhmed, between Zonda and Racing3, I would go for the 2nd especially if the price is similar, althought the weight difference is very little in favour of Racing 3 (real weights, check WW listings).

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I should have mentioned my current wheels are Shimano RS80s so I'd want something that are just as good as they are, if not better.

Cheers

Kakhmed said:
I'm making the switch to 11sp record in the next few weeks and because of Shimano's incompatibility with their wheels, I'm going to have to get new ones.

I'm looking at mid-tier ones I can use for training, but are good enough for racing when I don't want to pull out the zipps.

I was thinking something along the lines of Campagnolo Zonda or Fulcrum 3s.

Out of those two which do you recommend? What are other decent wheelsets in that category?

Thanks for your help!

Where are ya? Have a good wheelbuilder around that can design a wheelset specifically for you and your needs?

Be better and probably cheaper.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Are you sure you can't make the Shimano wheels compatible? It is ironic that campy wheels are available with a shimano compatible freehub body. Mavic wheels are available with both types.
There are aftermarket cassettes too but I am not sure about 11 speed.

Master50 said:
Are you sure you can't make the Shimano wheels compatible? It is ironic that campy wheels are available with a shimano compatible freehub body. Mavic wheels are available with both types.
There are aftermarket cassettes too but I am not sure about 11 speed.

Only one right now by Wheels Manufacturing but it doesn't work on shimano factory wheels..hubs OK.

http://wheelsmfg.com/content/view/890/40

Michele said:
Handbuilt wheels are usually more expensive (on the same quality).

Not at my shop they aren't, considering similar hubs. Campagnolo or Fulcrum, using a Record based hub are easily $200-$300 more than a similar wheelset I can build using Record hubs and DT or Velocity rims. Same for lower end cart bearing hubs on Campagnolo/Fulcrum wheel...using Veoce/Centaur/Miche hubs and same rims..MRSP-MSRP-apples to apples.

Most likely they weight the same or less, use standard off the shelf stuff instead of not supported rims and spokes. Try to find a spoke or rim for a 5 year old Campagnolo/Fulcrum/shimano wheel...

TRENDING THREADS