• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Lopez, Bernal and Quintana are all massive talents. There should be 6-10 GTs in them. Then you have the lesser talents of Chaves, Urán etc., its quite insane how many great climbers Colombia has produced lately..
Yeah, and I wonder why. They're from all over Colombia right? So it's not like with marathon runners a teeny tiny part of the population with super ideal genetic makup?

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Lopez, Bernal and Quintana are all massive talents. There should be 6-10 GTs in them. Then you have the lesser talents of Chaves, Urán etc., its quite insane how many great climbers Colombia has produced lately..
Yeah, and I wonder why. They're from all over Colombia right? So it's not like with marathon runners a teeny tiny part of the population with super ideal genetic makup?
Boyaca and Antioquia, mostly.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:

Man, I wish Ryo wasn't banned. Bet he could go on and on about this subject :D

Geological Colombia is the best place for climbers/gc riders.

With that altitude and amount of climbs, they have a genetical advantage over Euro's already. The only surprise to me are sprinters like Gaviria and Hodeg. Although Colombia has a history in track cycling as well, where that is coming from.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Geological Colombia is the best place for climbers/gc riders.

With that altitude and amount of climbs, they have a genetical advantage over Euro's already. The only surprise to me are sprinters like Gaviria and Hodeg. Although Colombia has a history in track cycling as well, where that is coming from.
There are more good, young sprinters out there in Colombia, they just barely get to show their worth because every race is just climbing essentially. Take Juan Esteban Guerrero (1999) for instance, who hasn't won anything of meaning, but has a lot of speed in his legs. Same goes for Nelson Soto (1994), who just dominated the flat stages in this past Vuelta, beating Molano in the process.

DNP-Old said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Boyaca and Antioquia, mostly.

Bernal and Chaves aren't from Boyacá but its the same region, Altiplano Cundiboyacense.

Geraint Too Fast said:
HelloDolly said:
This young man will win the Tour ....long before Quintana or Chaves does.....the turn of speed and the easy of climbing ...super prospect

Who are you and what have you done with HelloDolly?

Yes HelloDolly has jumped on the hype train...the world as we know it is gone mad :lol:

Why I think Lopez will win a Tour before Quintana & Chaves is not just about talent ...its about attitude

Chaves is great but not the best climber of the 3 nor TTer
And Quintana is not the best at going for it , attacking , taking the race to oponents

Great riders but not the total deal...I think Lopez is ...that is all

I guess if you stick around here long enough creating hype becomes a way of life :D

HelloDolly said:
Geraint Too Fast said:
HelloDolly said:
This young man will win the Tour ....long before Quintana or Chaves does.....the turn of speed and the easy of climbing ...super prospect

Yes HelloDolly has jumped on the hype train...the world as we know it is gone mad :lol:

Why I think Lopez will win a Tour before Quintana & Chaves is not just about talent ...its about attitude

And Quintana is not the best at going for it , attacking , taking the race to oponents

I guess if you stick around here long enough creating hype becomes a way of life :D
Nairo was just as aggressive at this age. :rolleyes:

DNP-Old said:
HelloDolly said:
Geraint Too Fast said:
HelloDolly said:

Nairo was just as aggressive at this age. :rolleyes:

Firstly you can keep your :rolleyes: to yourself

HelloDolly hates hype but here is a rider that is beyond the usual hyped riders ...Quintana included

HelloDolly said:
DNP-Old said:
HelloDolly said:
Geraint Too Fast said:
HelloDolly said:

I guess if you stick around here long enough creating hype becomes a way of life
Nairo was just as aggressive at this age.

Firstly you can keep your :rolleyes: to yourself

HelloDolly hates hype but here is a rider that is beyond the usual hyped riders ...Quintana included
If I feel like using a :rolleyes:, I will use a :rolleyes:. You probably said the same when a very young Nairo came to the scene, attacking Froome without fear, but whatever. :rolleyes:

Fwiw, Quintana showed more at the 2013 Tour than Lopez has here in this Vuelta in all departments if you ask me.

Superman is a massive talent, but whether he'll turn out to be better than Quintana (who really hasn't developed anywhere near as much as he should have) is yet to be seen (coming from someone who's been a fan of the guy for the last two and a half years)

I never saw Quintana attack from 25km against a Sky train, on a shallow climb.

I did see him do nice stuff in the 3rd week on actual hard climbs. But this? On a tempo col? No. On a tempo col he couldn't even stay ahead of Dumoulin. Lopez stays ahead of the Sky train.. on a shallow % climb. *** me. Quintana can't do that. He never could.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Fwiw, Quintana showed more at the 2013 Tour than Lopez has here in this Vuelta in all departments if you ask me.

Superman is a massive talent, but whether he'll turn out to be better than Quintana (who really hasn't developed anywhere near as much as he should have) is yet to be seen

I think in the long run, he's got the mind of a champion too. He dares to attack from afar.

Quintana on the other hand, remains a conservative rider.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:

I did see him do nice stuff in the 3rd week on actual hard climbs. But this? On a tempo col? No. On a tempo col he couldn't even stay ahead of Dumoulin. Lopez stays ahead of the Sky train.. on a shallow % climb. **** me. Quintana can't do that. He never could.
Does 17 kilometers count? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPcTCe4mpFc

This was against a Sky train that finished 1, 2, 4 and 9 in a damn Dauphine.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
You're the real deal MAL. Just stay on the bike and il 2018 giro is yours. I think you have a chance of winning this vuelta. You just need to be under 4 minutes after the time trial

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:

I did see him do nice stuff in the 3rd week on actual hard climbs. But this? On a tempo col? No. On a tempo col he couldn't even stay ahead of Dumoulin. Lopez stays ahead of the Sky train.. on a shallow % climb. **** me. Quintana can't do that. He never could.

The train is only as fast as its commander. A tired Froome with 5 weeks of GT racing in his legs is nothing compared to the apocalyptic alien that 2013 Quintana encountered and arguably matched uphill

Arredondo said:
PremierAndrew said:

Superman is a massive talent, but whether he'll turn out to be better than Quintana (who really hasn't developed anywhere near as much as he should have) is yet to be seen

I think in the long run, he's got the mind of a champion too. He dares to attack from afar.

Quintana on the other hand, remains a conservative rider.

Quintana also attacked from similar distances before he became a serious GC threat. We are yet to see the mindset of MAL the GC contender who knows the train won't just let him go and sees him as a threat

DNP-Old said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Not a shallow climb. So no. Doesn't count. Read and try again.
As I said, shallow % climbs, so climbs were 20 men hang on for most part. Not this stuff.

Let me explain it again: SHALLOW PERCENTAGE climbs. So no steep stuff.
Get it? Ok. Thanks..

Dekker_Tifosi said:
DNP-Old said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Not a shallow climb. So no. Doesn't count. Read and try again.
As I said, shallow % climbs, so climbs were 20 men hang on for most part. Not this stuff.

Let me explain it again: SHALLOW PERCENTAGE climbs. So no steep stuff.
Get it? Ok. Thanks..
Jimmies = rustled.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Forever The Best said:
I think we have our next super climber. :)
Agree with DT and Arredondo, Lopez has the mind of a champion as well.
People said the same about 2013 quintana :D
Now he is known by a glorious wheelsucker.

TRENDING THREADS