• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
OMG, this young man is even better than quintana, he's a future gt's winner, can't wait to see him in giro next year (unfortunately to work for nibali or aru). he needs to sign with other team, maybe bmc?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
portugal11 said:
OMG, this young man is even better than quintana, he's a future gt's winner, can't wait to see him in giro next year (unfortunately to work for nibali or aru). he needs to sign with other team, maybe bmc?
I hope you are right that he could be even better, but isnt it too early to declare it? :D
you are a bit of with BMC, its almost the worst team ever for his transfer :eek:

Gratz to Miguel for the win :)

ILovecycling said:
portugal11 said:
I hope you are right that he could be even better, but isnt it too early to declare it? :D
you are a bit of with BMC, its almost the worst team ever for his transfer :eek:

First winner of Tour de l'Avenir at the age of 20 since a Colombian named Nairo Quintana.

Last year, he picked up 8 wins, which is pretty impressive at his age (20 at the time), and then, obviously extremely impressive performance at Burgos. This guy is the real deal

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
portugal11 said:

he only has 21, and astana has many leaders for gt's, bmc hasn't leader for giro and vuelta, bmc could be a option for him. tinkoff will close after contador retire. I can't see a better team for him...

portugal11 said:

It is early to know if he is better than Quintana, Astana has advantage now in number , so someone is going to benefit.

He has a similar story than Chaves, and yes, chaves is a great climberm but he is not better than quintana.. Quintana is a kind of rider that is not easy to find. But Superlopez looks to be something similar.

Taxus4a said:
portugal11 said:

It is early to know if he is better than Quintana, Astana has advantage now in number , so someone is going to benefit.

He has a similar story than Chaves, and yes, chaves is a great climberm but he is not better than quintana.. Quintana is a kind of rider that is not easy to find. But Superlopez looks to be something similar.

Astana had numbers ye, but Lopez wasnt their pick, Lopez hit the front when the final hill/climb started a Katusha took over but with about 1.4K to go Lopez hit the front again. Then Scarponi attacked, Moreno and Lopez countered and Lopez finished it off. So today the numbers were not really an advantage for him.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
portugal11 said:
ILovecycling said:
portugal11 said:

he only has 21, and astana has many leaders for gt's, bmc hasn't leader for giro and vuelta, bmc could be a option for him. tinkoff will close after contador retire. I can't see a better team for him...
there is a reason why gt riders dont wanna go to bmc ;)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
PremierAndrew said:
ILovecycling said:
portugal11 said:

First winner of Tour de l'Avenir at the age of 20 since a Colombian named Nairo Quintana.

Last year, he picked up 8 wins, which is pretty impressive at his age (20 at the time), and then, obviously extremely impressive performance at Burgos. This guy is the real deal
I know all of his stats, I just think its too early to discuss if he is that good, he still hasnt ridden a GT and thats the real deal.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

DNP-Old said:
Now that we have confirmation that he won't be riding La Vuelta, he's going to, according to Goga, defend his title in l'Avenir, which I do not support at all.

Why not? I think it's better then sending Seb Henao, who's already 2 years pro with Sky and rode 2 Giro's.

Re: Re:

Arredondo said:
DNP-Old said:
Now that we have confirmation that he won't be riding La Vuelta, he's going to, according to Goga, defend his title in l'Avenir, which I do not support at all.

Why not? I think it's better then sending Seb Henao, who's already 2 years pro with Sky and rode 2 Giro's.
Two reasons: I don't like WT riders participate in l'Avenir, and I'd like us to ride for a Colombian who doesn't have a contract in Europe yet, like German Chavez or maybe Miguel Florez.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

DNP-Old said:
Arredondo said:
DNP-Old said:

Two reasons: I don't like WT riders participate in l'Avenir, and I'd like us to ride for a Colombian who doesn't have a contract in Europe yet, like German Chavez or maybe Miguel Florez.

I agree with you. But if you are sending a WT-rider, it's better to send a neo then someone who's already 2 years pro.

Why are they not sending Florez btw?

Arredondo said:
DNP-Old said:
Arredondo said:
DNP-Old said:

I agree with you. But if you are sending a WT-rider, it's better to send a neo then someone who's already 2 years pro.

Why are they not sending Florez btw?

It might have something to do with the teams they are in I would take Jorge Ivan Gomez over Florez though he is more all round and could be to more use for Henao or Lopez if he would ride. Would take both Florez and Gomez (and Paredes) over German Chavez though.

But the selection is very strong, selection was already made 2 weeks ago (if Lopez now wants to ride someone will be dropped I assume :p):
Sebastián Henao (Team Sky)

Fernando Gaviria (Coldeportes-Claro)

Germán Chaves (Coldeportes-Claro)

Rodrigo Contreras (Coldeportes-Claro)

Aldemar Reyes (GW Shimano)

Daniel Martínez (Team Colombia)

Lopez will indeed not race in l'Avenir. Goga tweeted the following this afternoon: ''Supermán López irá al Tour de L"Avenir a defender el título para Colombia.'' Meaning he was going to defend his title, she deleted the tweet though. But a few hours later, she came back to it, with coach Jaramillo denying it. So Superman will not ride in l'Avenir, just to make that clear.

I don't know why Florez did not make the team. It might have something to do with the fact that he is still very, very young and has never raced in Europe before. Nonetheless, this team should be good enough to fight for a podium place. Really looking forward to it. Counting on Gaviria to win a few stages, and of course decent GC chances. I think even Contreras and Martinez, who are 3th and 4th in the line have the ability to do a lot of damage. This team is very strong.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

DNP-Old said:
Lopez will indeed not race in l'Avenir. Goga tweeted the following this afternoon: ''Supermán López irá al Tour de L"Avenir a defender el título para Colombia.'' Meaning he was going to defend his title, she deleted the tweet though. But a few hours later, she came back to it, with coach Jaramillo denying it. So Superman will not ride in l'Avenir, just to make that clear.

I don't know why Florez did not make the team. It might have something to do with the fact that he is still very, very young and has never raced in Europe before. Nonetheless, this team should be good enough to fight for a podium place. Really looking forward to it. Counting on Gaviria to win a few stages, and of course decent GC chances. I think even Contreras and Martinez, who are 3th and 4th in the line have the ability to do a lot of damage. This team is very strong.
Yep.That Florez situation is really weird.Lot of south amarican riders rode Avenir as a first race in Europe, maybe they dont want to risk this, and instead of him picked 1 of the guys (prob Reyes or Contreras) who are older.Hard to say if its a good decision or not.

Thanks for the info about Lopez, :) I havent seen that tweet despite that I check her tweet several times a day :D

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Bushman said:
Allowing world Tour riders to take part in Tour de l'Avenir is the dumbest decision ever.
Care to explain? Why wouldnt Lopez and Latour be able to ride there, for instance? Or Robert Power?

Because Tour de l'Avenir is a race where the riders in u23 can show themselves and maybe get a contract with a professional team. Therefore, I think it's stupid to have riders like Lopez, Latour or Henao who have ridden at least one season in the World Tour compete.

Power doesn't ride for a professional team this year and should go there no problem.

Reactions: Peter von

Bushman said:
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Bushman said:
Allowing world Tour riders to take part in Tour de l'Avenir is the dumbest decision ever.
Care to explain? Why wouldnt Lopez and Latour be able to ride there, for instance? Or Robert Power?

Because Tour de l'Avenir is a race where the riders in u23 can show themselves and maybe get a contract with a professional team. Therefore, I think it's stupid to have riders like Lopez, Latour or Henao who have ridden at least one season in the World Tour compete.

Power doesn't ride for a professional team this year and should go there no problem.

Power will not be in Avenir he has ended his season (some knee problems after a crash in Alsace), Haig will lead the Australians.
Another Australian talent Alex Edmondson (not a climber though so not for GC avenir) has also ended his season with knee problems.

TRENDING THREADS