• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Miguel Angel Lopez was tested by the UCI while serving the ban and vacationing in Disney, USA. You can't make this stuff up.

UCI probably wanted to test him to make sure he wasn't doped in the Space Mountain!!!

It would seem strange indeed if the UCI did such a test, but the ADAMS system is surely predicated on the principle that one might be tested any day of the year, wherever you are. I know the article says it was the UCI, but I strongly suspect that it was USADA: Lopez is not quoted as saying UCI. In which case it is a bit of a non-story.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It would seem strange indeed if the UCI did such a test, but the ADAMS system is surely predicated on the principle that one might be tested any day of the year, wherever you are. I know the article says it was the UCI, but I strongly suspect that it was USADA: Lopez is not quoted as saying UCI. In which case it is a bit of a non-story.
Just as you’ve suggested, I thought the point of this he Adams system was to be able to test wherever one is, and being on vacation doesn’t excuse one.

Someone can correct me if I’m not remembering correctly—but didn’t Rasmussen claim he missed a test because he was on vacation in Mexico? But then they learned that folks had seen him training locally during that time period.

Which led to a genius commercial in which we see someone (obviously meant to be Rasmussen) stop their car (along an obviously European roadway) and answer a mobile call from drug testers. At which point a 3-piece Mariachi band (with sombreros of course) piles out of the car’s hatchback and start playing. And we hear the driver explaining he can’t do the test because he’s in Mexico.

I tried to find that again but havent’t—it was a simply delicious insider joke.

• Haha
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
Just as you’ve suggested, I thought the point of this he Adams system was to be able to test wherever one is, and being on vacation doesn’t excuse one.

Someone can correct me if I’m not remembering correctly—but didn’t Rasmussen claim he missed a test because he was on vacation in Mexico? But then they learned that folks had seen him training locally during that time period.

Which led to a genius commercial in which we see someone (obviously meant to be Rasmussen) stop their car (along an obviously European roadway) and answer a mobile call from drug testers. At which point a 3-piece Mariachi band (with sombreros of course) piles out of the car’s hatchback and start playing. And we hear the driver explaining he can’t do the test because he’s in Mexico.

I tried to find that again but havent’t—it was a simply delicious insider joke.

Here you go:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=ya9RVtTjHB0

Thanks roundabout for the information. I was confused about it also. But very strange that it was in the USA. As per someone saying that the test could have been carried out by USADA, why them and not the UCI?

UCI don't test any riders as such, they have no anti-doping powers at all. It will either be a targeted test by his own NADO who passed it to USADA because that's where his whereabouts data said he would be on that day or ITA or a random Biological Passport test using either a national or international RTP that he's in.

Well, according to AS, He's used Menotropin in 2022. I might be missing something , but isn't that a doping violation?

Correct. The gossip I heard in a podcast and interview with a reporter from Spain is whether they have the proof from a confession from someone. Confessions might lack validity at times without support. What made the 2006 Fuentes case stronger was the written reports along with the blood bags. In this case it could be a bit harder if it just a confession from someone. Not a test, not a blood bag not a report. Now this is just me repeating a putting together what others have said.

Best to wait and see what the authorities end up doing, as in this day and age you can't always blindly trust the media.

Another thing on the line i guess is biological passport. As if this latest accusations turn out to be valid, then biological passport clearly isn't working and is likely already a thing of the past.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan