• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Lopez is a rider I have a difficult time figuring out. There were times when I thought of him as the best climber in the world or at least as the most feared one, when he was on a good day. But those good days aren't as frequent as I'm expecting them to be. Even in a single GT, he can be a world-beater one day and not even among the 5 best climbers the next day. It's also true that he's had a lot of bad luck in GTs. But still, I was positive he'll win a GT someday, now I'm not too sure anymore.

Yup, on some days Lopez can be almost unbeatable in the mountains but keeping it for 3 weeks is another story. Yates is similar in this regard - he's capable of delivering world-beating w/kg on some climbs but you don't know what his next day will look like.

Reactions: Sandisfan
2 ITTs though.

The problem for Lopez isn't the world class days, it's the bad days.

Yup but if he can get it together on both TT days, things look good. But winning the Tour is asking too much, I think.

On the other hand, he might be fresher than the other contenders due to his late season start. If such a thing actually plays a role. Maybe it's just something "experts" pull out of their arse every time they don't really know what to say.

• Haha
Reactions: Eeslliw
Yup but if he can get it together on both TT days, things look good. But winning the Tour is asking too much, I think.

On the other hand, he might be fresher than the other contenders due to his late season start. If such a thing actually plays a role. Maybe it's just something "experts" pull out of their arse every time they don't really know what to say.
Well 2 bad TTs probably still lose less time than the disaster that was the PDBF ITT. 1st ITT comes early too so I think he might have a better chance of having a good ITT there.

This was not just a victory, he literally demolished the field! I know that field was rather weak, but 2.30 min to 2nd is stratospheric!
He'll be a force in the Tour, a genuine podium contender.
I agree with you, very impressive. A Carlos Sastra-esque performance. I note Lopez attacked 12.7km from the top of Ventoux to put 2.30 on 2nd but 3.30 on Ben O'Connor who was with him at that point. Then there was the rest of the field miles behind.

But the challenge for Lopez in Grand Tours is holding it together in the following days. In the TdF he collapsed in the TT three days after winning like this on Col de la Loze ahead of Rog and Pog.

imagen.png

Too bad for Superman ,Porte, Buchmann , Kruijswijk, Poels, Yates, Valverde, Dan Martin, Woods and Froome, among others, losing minutes on the first stage.

TRENDING THREADS