• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
We will know what happened to him one day. This is obviously not his normal level!

I think it's a combination of crashing a lot in the first week, suffering from the rainy and cold conditions (which he really dislikes) in the Alpes as a skinny climber and maybe also some lack of confidence after such start.

At least, he managed to stay with the favourites far longer than in the Alpes. He was like the 20th last rider to get dropped, even though he completely blew afterwards.

The best I've seen Lopez was in the Tour last year on the Col de la Loze. He benefitted slightly from the match between Roglic & Pogacar, but he still put 15 seconds on Roglic & 30 on Pogacar.

Of course 3 days later he exploded in the TT. But that went unnoticed due to the drama unfolding behind him. As for his attack today, it's Movistar's clear objective to gang up on Roglic with Lopez attacking first & then Mas countering. But that tactic turns to sh*t from the moment Jumbo have several riders able to pull back the gap (or maintain it).

The best I've seen Lopez was in the Tour last year on the Col de la Loze. He benefitted slightly from the match between Roglic & Pogacar, but he still put 15 seconds on Roglic & 30 on Pogacar.

Of course 3 days later he exploded in the TT. But that went unnoticed due to the drama unfolding behind him. As for his attack today, it's Movistar's clear objective to gang up on Roglic with Lopez attacking first & then Mas countering. But that tactic turns to sh*t from the moment Jumbo have several riders able to pull back the gap (or maintain it).
That tactic turned to sh*t the moment that decide to do it in the last kilometers. Having said that they had no reason to do it before because of the stage tomorrow, the strong wind and the smooth gradients.

Movistar needs to keep doing this but from further out. In the process they could sacrifice Lopez but that is the only option to win. I hope that there is a good race for the win for what has been a mediocre Vuelta.

"Dying with your boots on": the slogan of Miguel Ángel López in the Tour of Spain
The Colombian assured that in the next two stages of the 76 Vuelta a España they have to "try" ..

"If we want to have any option to win the Vuelta, we have to reach the time trial on the last day with some time over (Primoz) Roglic. The only thing left is to try and die with our boots on," he explained at the end of the sixteenth stage in the Cantabrian Santa Cruz de Bezana.

This is unprecedented. I don't even know what to say. I don't care what his DS said, i don't care how questionable and wrong Movistar's tactics are at times, MAL seems like the type to disobey orders and ride his own race anyway. I wonder what happened really, but no matter, this was as unprofessional an action as I've ever seen in my years of following the sport. Throwing away a potential Top 5 position in a GT because you feel like throwing a tantrum? And he just renewed his contract too. Shame, really. Can't see him riding another race in a Telefonica jersey.

Reactions: CJCycling
20 days of proving he's the third best & deserving of a podium... & it all goes to sh*t with a throw of the dice.

I have total sympathy for the guy right now. This could have happened to anyone. Yeah he missed the move, but these are real fine margins between success & disaster.
I have sympathy for missing out on a podium for a 3rd or so consecutive time. But quitting the race... please.

Probably costs him hugely in future earnings

Reactions: Koronin
20 days of proving he's the third best & deserving of a podium... & it all goes to sh*t with a throw of the dice.

I have total sympathy for the guy right now. This could have happened to anyone. Yeah he missed the move, but these are real fine margins between success & disaster.

Tom Dumoulin did not throw a tantrum in 2015 when he lost an actual GT win.

It could happen to anyone is exactly the reason why this reaction is so unprecedented.

He should be disappointed with himself and maybe that was what he really was. It just came out wrong.

Losing a podium spot and realizing it during the race was probably frustrating. Especially if he was feeling good.

He should have rode on and taken it as a lesson for the future. He will regret this. Maybe after thinking more on what happened he will realize this and come back stronger.

He will have some work to do.

Tom Dumoulin did not throw a tantrum in 2015 when he lost an actual GT win.

It could happen to anyone is exactly the reason why this reaction is so unprecedented.

I don't like sitting on my sofa watching these guys on TV & then lecturing or moralizing them when they have a meltdown or whatnot.

It's not like he punched anyone or disgraced himself publicly. This is between him & his team & we have no idea what the dynamic is there between them (nor can we speculate about potential repercussions until they actually happen).

TRENDING THREADS