• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
With all respect to Movistar... getting rid of MAL at this point is absurd. Valverde is old and Mas isn't consistent.

So what should they have done? Just let it go that he acted like a diva and left the race, which is not only disrespectful to his teammates and staff, but also cost them prize money and UCI points? That would be a silly precedent then and end in total chaos.

And even if Unzue would have wanted to keep him in the roster, I'm pretty sure that some of his teammates would not have trusted him anymore and would not have been very keen to work for him again. This team already had a lot of internal issues in the last few years and I think they are wise to go on without López now and avoid any future conflicts in this matter.

Of course, it's sad and they will miss him performance-wise, as he seemed to be a pretty good fit and counterpart to Mas who races less aggressive. But I think they really had no other choice.

With all respect to Movistar... getting rid of MAL at this point is absurd. Valverde is old and Mas isn't consistent.

Actually Mas is very consistent. He just isn't very exciting. MAL gave then a "X" factor. But Unzue and a hot head like Lopez was never going to work.

But the other thing not being discussed with Lopez is an apparent recovery problem. He didn't have the legs one day after winning a massive MTF. For some reason Unzue thought yelling at him on that stage might lift him? In the 2020 TdF he collapsed three days after winning another massive MTF at altitude. Movistar should have known about this recovery problem.

• Sad
Reactions: Ripper and noob
well, if the rider wants to work for vino, who knows why, and uses pathetic tricks to achieve that, let’s hope the door doesn’t hit him on the way out too hard. or do we still think his temper tantrum at vuelta was just him being a ***?
If he works for Vino he probably understands the consequences of screwing over the Kazakhs. It won't happen with him again but he's going to have a tougher time regaining support on a team he already left once and now returns as scolded kid. He's a great rider and he let his emotions carry him away.

Reactions: Koronin
Let's "circle back" in 12 months. I predict Movistar regrets letting him go and will have fewer victories. Valverde isn't getting any younger and Mas is not a stage or one day winner.
MAL isn't a one day winner either, in fact he basically doesn't ride one day races at all. Any suggestion that Movistar will somehow come to regret this decision makes no sense whatsoever. MAL made this decision for them.

He only left Astaná because Yana Seel tried to lowball him on his wage, he wanted to stay for the same amount of money. The team also doesn't mind the fact that he prefers to ride Giro-Vuelta because he wants to stay away from the hecric first week of the Tour (that would have been a smarter option for Movistar too, instead of having him and Mas as co-leaders in the same 2 gts).

He only left Astaná because Yana Seel tried to lowball him on his wage, he wanted to stay for the same amount of money. The team also doesn't mind the fact that he prefers to ride Giro-Vuelta because he wants to stay away from the hecric first week of the Tour (that would have been a smarter option for Movistar too, instead of having him and Mas as co-leaders in the same 2 gts).
Was definitely calling Vinokoerov just before disappearing from La Vuelta.

Well, he wouldn't have been ready to do the Giro anyway, he only started his season in Romandie.

well, if the rider wants to work for vino, who knows why, and uses pathetic tricks to achieve that, let’s hope the door doesn’t hit him on the way out too hard. or do we still think his temper tantrum at vuelta was just him being a ***?
Maybe to put food on the table for his family. He can't quit cycling just to please you or anybody that is not pleased with his act. He made a mistake, just like a human being, especially if you have issues. But certainly he needs to move on, just like his team did.
Having said that, most likely he would take a pay cut at Astana.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cookster15
So what should they have done? Just let it go that he acted like a diva and left the race, which is not only disrespectful to his teammates and staff, but also cost them prize money and UCI points? That would be a silly precedent then and end in total chaos.

And even if Unzue would have wanted to keep him in the roster, I'm pretty sure that some of his teammates would not have trusted him anymore and would not have been very keen to work for him again. This team already had a lot of internal issues in the last few years and I think they are wise to go on without López now and avoid any future conflicts in this matter.

Of course, it's sad and they will miss him performance-wise, as he seemed to be a pretty good fit and counterpart to Mas who races less aggressive. But I think they really had no other choice.
I don't think his behavior was ok. I just have a feeling that Movistar was trying to decrease his wage / cancel the contract anyway and used this issue to support their actions.

If course it's only my opinion.

I know here in the USA so many teams take chances at trouble makers just to win. I don't know about soccer, but I have known a lot of troublemakers in soccer too. I still saw them playing soccer for a long time.
Definitely, especially in the NFL. Domestic abuse? No problem!
But quitting at the end of a race that's your team's main objective when you're on the podium is a pretty major problem.

Reactions: Koronin

TRENDING THREADS