• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Miguel Angel Lopez now a favourite for Red in Madrid (GC victory)… I would not have expected this. He clearly worked on his TT.

We don‘t know the profile yet, but with few stages in high altitude, few climbs with more than 1000 vertical meters from bottom to top, he now even is a candidate for TdF GC victory next year.

Very impressed by Superman today.

I still am sorry that we hardly ever get to see him at the one day monuments. He rode Lombardia twice, but never rode Liege! Hard to believe.

He has the skills for these races, won Ventoux Challenge and Milano-Torino…

But first things first, we are now waiting to watch him in the remaining Vuelta. Maybe he really wins the GC here?… :)

Miguel Angel Lopez now a favourite for Red in Madrid (GC victory)… I would not have expected this. He clearly worked on his TT.

We don‘t know the profile yet, but with few stages in high altitude, few climbs with more than 1000 vertical meters from bottom to top, he now even is a candidate for TdF GC victory next year.

I still am sorry that we hardly ever get to see him at the one day monuments. He rode Lombardia twice, but never rode Liege! Hard to believe.

But first things first, we are now waiting to watch him in the remaining Vuelta. Maybe he really wins the GC here?… :)
Hard when you implode repeatedly upon reaching the end but it’d be great if he finishes above Mas and Valverde for him.

Uh, sure...

I cannot for the life of me think you're serious here. Please dont tell it aint so....

Impressive, maybe top-5, good chance for a stage given he's not as marked, but.. yeah.

This is the Colombian Superman you are talking about!

I cannot for the life of me think you're serious here. Please dont tell it aint so....

Impressive, maybe top-5, good chance for a stage given he's not as marked, but.. yeah.

Well, maybe it‘s that I at least hope he will finish this Vuelta on the podium, or even with GC victory. Superman has been through a lot recently, and he seems to be in excellent shape. There come few stages which are tailor-made for him, and he is someone who proved to be unbeatable on these special days.

In the past, he was too unstable afterwards. But, if he improved this, he can climb the GC ranking up to the top, still. What gives me hope: Primoz‘ weakness always was the last weekend of a GT, and the one or two days before. In last year‘s Vuelta, however, he even was the strongest of them all in these stages.

If MAL has improved similarly, a lot seems possible, still… :)

Unfortunately after tomorrows stage there aren't any other high mountain stages! I think at Sierra Nevada he will be the clear favourite of the GC to win it. Don't espect huge gap for Roglic, but he could put more than a minute in all the others.
The problem with MAL it´s consistency, he can trash everyone tomorrow and then lose time in some kind of weird mid mountain stage. Still wouldn't surprise me if he ended up in the top3 at the end of La Vuelta

Unfortunately after tomorrows stage there aren't any other high mountain stages! I think at Sierra Nevada he will be the clear favourite of the GC to win it. Don't espect huge gap for Roglic, but he could put more than a minute in all the others.
The problem with MAL it´s consistency, he can trash everyone tomorrow and then lose time in some kind of weird mid mountain stage. Still wouldn't surprise me if he ended up in the top3 at the end of La Vuelta
Weirdly I'll think he'll have a great day and move up in GC. This, while providing a target for Primoz.

Uh, sure. Is it because of the small descents that it doesn't work?

Otherwise, I would have thought that a climb was a climb.
It has a small descent in it, and it's taken as a 23 minute effort while coming like 3km directly after a different climb. Galibier is similar in that regard. It's a 46-48 minute climb but the W/kg even for the record are super low because it comes straight after the Telegraphe.

Some climbs are just best off compared to itself

Mas on Superman:

View: https://twitter.com/PROFE_RESTREPO/status/1566504414411620357

Mas and Superman: “It is true that our mutual interests have not met -I was going for the podium and he for the stage-, but at the same time I wanted to collaborate to make time. Perhaps each one of us have saved a little (of energy) because we believed that the other one had much more. These things happen, sometimes you have to play smart”!

Superman on Mas:
View: https://twitter.com/PROFE_RESTREPO/status/1566453286668046343

“Even if it's a few seconds, you got to reduce differences. But he has done what suits him and nothing more. We have one week left and hopefully I can improve the GC and win a stage. The first week affected me and it has taken its toll. I have good feelings and I will rest well :López

They both were being silly. I think Superman didn't trust Mas and Mas probably should have focused more on his GC and not worry about Superman. If he did, I am not sure why he was riding like that. He needs to risk a lot more, even if it means dying afterward. But the reward is huge. He will never find a better opportunity to put time on his closest rivals, Roglic and Remco.

TRENDING THREADS