• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
At the end of the day, no team will sign Lopez because we don;t know what will happen next week - When you consider that Quintana is struggling to find a team and yet his case is done and dusted.

It would be bad business for a few team to sign any of them right now, their names been tarnished.

They wont be given a green light to race at WT-level again, since no team will want to touch them.

If they gonna continue to race it will probably have to be at a South American team or an Asian team, in obscurity.

It would be bad business for a few team to sign any of them right now, their names been tarnished.

They wont be given a green light to race at WT-level again, since no team will want to touch them.

If they gonna continue to race it will probably have to be at a South American team or an Asian team, in obscurity.
Realistically and historically Astana could give to sh*ts about their public image. That Vino has a position where he speaks to the press or has official function is a great example of their position.
He's a hero in his country so he'll get a pass indefinitely. UCI would never ban a major team sponsor, either.

Nothing else that he could do. I think it is worse for some of these riders to be in the limbo that actually investigated. I am not even sure if there is an actual UCI investigation on him. But at the same time nobody will touch him. Some riders have done the time for actual doping and come back. As it stands right now he won't come back to the WT. Hard situation.

Nothing else that he could do. I think it is worse for some of these riders to be in the limbo that actually investigated. I am not even sure if there is an actual UCI investigation on him. But at the same time nobody will touch him. Some riders have done the time for actual doping and come back. As it stands right now he won't come back to the WT. Hard situation.
IMO the Quintana situation is even worse. With MAL teams fear what might come out of it, while what happened to Nairo is pretty much minor offense that resulted in no actual ban, while guys with actual short term bans like Simon Yates and Ulissi remained on their teams. I don't want to discuss the matter further than this, because that discussion belongs into a different subforum.

Reactions: Sandisfan
MAL is back but now belongs to the Medellin team. Looking good in black!!!

Team-Medellin-EPM-Superman-Lopez-2023.jpg

The hilarious yet unavoidably sad bit is that while Lopez is forced to take at least a year off in the minors, we get to hear the Eurosport and GCN boys wax poetic about Cavendish's last charge and how Vino finally did things right.

But maybe this move ends up being good for Superman. He's the bona fide superhero at Medellin and gets that superstar treatment for a year without having to put up with Vinokurov's hardass shtick or Eusebio and Co's mean girls routine. He can rest his lips up for a few months and try to get himself psyched up to kiss Savio or Lefevere 's ass next fall.

Astana team really hates Lopez.

"It's a complex and delicate issue that has caused a lot of damage," he said. "They turned their backs on me, they me out and since that day I have not spoken to anyone in the team. It's as if I had died for them."
"I felt strange because my relationship with the team goes back a decade. There wasn't even a 'Hello, how are you?' or 'How are you coping?'"

More:

The hilarious yet unavoidably sad bit is that while Lopez is forced to take at least a year off in the minors, we get to hear the Eurosport and GCN boys wax poetic about Cavendish's last charge and how Vino finally did things right.

But maybe this move ends up being good for Superman. He's the bona fide superhero at Medellin and gets that superstar treatment for a year without having to put up with Vinokurov's hardass shtick or Eusebio and Co's mean girls routine. He can rest his lips up for a few months and try to get himself psyched up to kiss Savio or Lefevere 's ass next fall.
It really feels weird, doesn't it. Vino and Cavendish a marriage made in heaven!

In the US the race coverage is always American heavy even when the US riders are getting shelled and pooped out the back.. when you watch the Latin coverage.. constant screaming and cheers for the Superman.. even when he is not in top 10,20..certainly a fan favorite in Mexico and Latin America..
I feel sad to see Lopez give another lover scorn interview about how Astana did him wrong and turned their back on him.. and the way life works, if he didn't get popped at a race, totally separate issue if Vino and Astana discovered information that summarized, he was lucky he didn't..
Cavendish has drank beer with Lance,George, Johan and Jan Ullrich,and Vino..but I guess that doesn't count.. as far as bad associates..

TRENDING THREADS