• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 121 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Thuis came form froome treath.

Taxus have you spoken with Landismo recently??
[/QUOTE]
Just 3 minutes later to talk with Oscar Rodriguez, Froome director. It was a long time the last time. It was just a few words. He looks for me as an sprinter, no so fine as other times.. Anyway i wish him luck, and at least for Burgos he was so lucky to win with not a good level.

I hope he recover his level and give a good spectacle in the northern mountains as Covadonga or Gamoniteiru

Wow the whole season went to s**t. Really hope he begins early lika Valverde next year to get in good form and collect results as early as possible.
It's a shame, he looked sublime in the spring. A critical year for him really, still no contract. A rider who gives so much to entertain us and only gets bad luck in return.

If you look at 2015,16,17 and 19 he always performs better with more racedays. Building to giro with coppe bartali, pais vasco, liege, asturias, then going to TDF.

Reactions: Serpentin
There's something about Landa that makes some of us refuse to group him with the suddenly-over-the-hill generations, maybe it's just him being a lesser achiever than the likes of Fuglsang, Quintana, Pinot, Aru, etc. The faith is still there for him.

It was only last year that he finished 4th in the TDF. He has better GT GC recent results than all those riders mentioned. If he has a bad season in 2022 then there is reason to lose faith. Until then, he can top 5, maybe still podium. Use him as co-leader though.

Landa is still very underrated.

-Had the strength to win 2015 giro. At the very least, he was 3rd + 2 mountain stages whilst helping Aru and being stronger than contador on the mountains. And Astana bad tactics in final weekend.
-Strongest climber in 2015 Vuelta. Won Queen stage.
-Had strength to win 2016 giro after winning Trentino. His time trialing was much better and his form was great. Sky then ruined his season by making him fetch bottles for froom at dauphine and TDF. Knee injury meant he couldn't do vuelta.
-Strongest climber in 2017 giro. Again had the form to podium, again unlucky after Kelderman crashing the moto on Blockhaus. Stayed in the race and a jersye and a stage for his team, honoring Scarponi, whilst Gerant Thomas abandoned.
-Strongest in 2017 Tour. 1 second outside podium despite losing time working for froome. The strongest I have ever seen him. Landa could have won that race. Then he led out Kwiato to San Sebastian win and dominated Burgos.
-2018 he was weaker in TDF. A mediocre 7th. But he had a solid spring with summit win at Tirreno and 2nd in Pais Vasco. A San Sebastian crash meant he miss vuelta BS innsbruck.
-2019 he was incredible in the spring with Carapaz. He could podium that giro but lost time in the same crash that cause Dumolin to abandon. Still did an excellent job for the team. His attack on Lagu Serru stage was sublime.
-2019 TDF he was very unlucky with crashing on crosswind stage and losing time. He was taking time on stage 15 with Pinot and always on the attack. He should have been a top 5.
-2020 he was a bit mediocre in TDF. Slovenians and Porte were slightly stronger and he needed ITT to beat Lopez. Again he lost time in crosswinds.
-2021 is the return of top form Landa, ruined by the crash in cesenatico that wasn't his fault. But obviously cracked ribs take a long time to recover from.

He had the legs and support to win 2 or 3 GT since he started contesting them in 2015. Maybe the relentless bad luck and shortcomings add to the mystical questions of what he was capable of a bit. Still, he is younger than Roglic and Caruso. There will be more opportunity to attack and create emotions.

He was only one minute behind GC group yesterday so maybe he can do something next week.

Yeah I think he will recover in week 3 or go home like Carapaz but his light schedule up until now should give him better form as each day passes by...

I agree he should do a heavy spring and go for Giro and then Vuelta each year. He needs two chances each year.

Landa is still very underrated.

-Had the strength to win 2015 giro. At the very least, he was 3rd + 2 mountain stages whilst helping Aru and being stronger than contador on the mountains. And Astana bad tactics in final weekend.
-Strongest climber in 2015 Vuelta. Won Queen stage.
-Had strength to win 2016 giro after winning Trentino. His time trialing was much better and his form was great. Sky then ruined his season by making him fetch bottles for froom at dauphine and TDF. Knee injury meant he couldn't do vuelta.
-Strongest climber in 2017 giro. Again had the form to podium, again unlucky after Kelderman crashing the moto on Blockhaus. Stayed in the race and a jersye and a stage for his team, honoring Scarponi, whilst Gerant Thomas abandoned.
-Strongest in 2017 Tour. 1 second outside podium despite losing time working for froome. The strongest I have ever seen him. Landa could have won that race. Then he led out Kwiato to San Sebastian win and dominated Burgos.
-2018 he was weaker in TDF. A mediocre 7th. But he had a solid spring with summit win at Tirreno and 2nd in Pais Vasco. A San Sebastian crash meant he miss vuelta BS innsbruck.
-2019 he was incredible in the spring with Carapaz. He could podium that giro but lost time in the same crash that cause Dumolin to abandon. Still did an excellent job for the team. His attack on Lagu Serru stage was sublime.
-2019 TDF he was very unlucky with crashing on crosswind stage and losing time. He was taking time on stage 15 with Pinot and always on the attack. He should have been a top 5.
-2020 he was a bit mediocre in TDF. Slovenians and Porte were slightly stronger and he needed ITT to beat Lopez. Again he lost time in crosswinds.
-2021 is the return of top form Landa, ruined by the crash in cesenatico that wasn't his fault. But obviously cracked ribs take a long time to recover from.

He had the legs and support to win 2 or 3 GT since he started contesting them in 2015. Maybe the relentless bad luck and shortcomings add to the mystical questions of what he was capable of a bit. Still, he is younger than Roglic and Caruso. There will be more opportunity to attack and create emotions.
And here I am always thinking he's overrated... constantly asking for a chance and never really delivered when given one... I have an impression he's always better when he isn't free ;)

• Sad
Reactions: Ilmaestro99
And here I am always thinking he's overrated... constantly asking for a chance and never really delivered when given one... I have an impression he's always better when he isn't free ;)
When did he not deliver when given a chance?
Maybe only 2018 Tour when Quintana and Bala were off the pace.

2015 he above expectations, 2016 no chances, 2017 above expectations, 2018 meh, 2019 bad luck in Giro and tour and still top5 on gc, 2020 4th overall, others a bit stronger, 2021 devastating crash which wasn't his fault.

Reactions: Pinot's goat
When did he not deliver when given a chance?
Maybe only 2018 Tour when Quintana and Bala were off the pace.

2015 he above expectations, 2016 no chances, 2017 above expectations, 2018 meh, 2019 bad luck in Giro and tour and still top5 on gc, 2020 4th overall, others a bit stronger, 2021 devastating crash which wasn't his fault.
Yeah... I might be a bit harsh on him but you know... he's Landa - once he's free I expect GT victory and nothing less ;) and I've said it years (around 2016 or 2017 when the hype started - or when I've noticed it) ago and so far it stands: He'll never win a GT imho :( I just don't see it happening for him... sadly.

I actually think he has become one of the overrated riders in the peloton. That he hasn't had enough opportunities for himself to shine is a myth. He had dozens of opportunities in GTs and other WT races and he never delivered. And with delivered I mean won. His biggest win to date is probably his GC win in Giro del Trentino or a Giro stage win. That's not enough for a rider who is beeing considered an ultra
mythical climber. Of course on his day he is one of the best climbers in the world, but right now I'm putting him in the bottom half of top10 climbers list. The problem for him is the TT, where he is one of the worst GC riders. So he is who he is, a very very good climber, who can at times win a mountain stage and top5 (and occasionally podium) a WT stage race.

I said before the Giro and the Vuelta that he shouldn't have had a full team commited to him, especially in a team as strong as Bahrain, with many strong cards to play, and I was proven right. I know Mikel had bad luck in the Giro and in the end it played out well for Bahrain both in the Giro and the Tour, and they are still doing well in the Vuelta despite a disappointing Landa. But I think for the future they should change their tactics. Landa should still get the opportunity to be the GC leader in a GT, but at least split the team in half and give a Mohorič, a Padun, a Colbrelli freedom to do their own thing. Maybe it would only help Landa with taking some pressure off his shoulders before the race.

Last edited:
Reactions: glassmoon
I actually think he has become one of the overrated riders in the peloton. That he hasn't had enough opportunities for himself to shine is a myth. He had dozens of opportunities in GTs and other WT races and he never delivered. And with delivered I mean won. His biggest win to date is probably his GC win in Giro del Trentino or a Giro stage win. That's not enough for a rider who is beeing considered an ultra
mythical climber. Of course on his day he is one of the best climbers in the world, but right now I'm putting him in the bottom half of top10 climbers list. The problem for him is the TT, where he is one of the worst GC riders. So he is what he is, a very very good climber, who can at times win a mountain stage and top5 (and occasionally podium) a WT stage race.

I said before the Giro and the Vuelta that he shouldn't have had a full team commited to him, especially in a team as strong as Bahrain, with many strong cards to play, and I was proven right. I know Mikel had bad luck in the Giro and in the end it played out well for Bahrain both in the Giro and the Tour, and they are still doing well in the Vuelta despite a disappointing Landa. But I think for the future they should change their tactics. Landa should still get the opportunity to be the GC leader in a GT, but at least split the team in half and give a Mohorič, a Padun, a Colbrelli freedom to do their own thing. Maybe it would only help Landa with taking some pressure off his shoulders before the race.

I think Bahrain have gone in with essentially a duel leader approach in both Giro and Vuelta. Especially in La Vuelta where from the start all of Landa, Mader, Haig and Caruso were trying to do their own race. Even in TdF last year, Caruso was still going for a GC position despite being a level below the other contenders. I think they just say Landa is sole leader to take a little pressure off the others and it works as for example Caruso was barely mentioned for GC by journalists before the race despite being on the podium of the Giro just a few months ago.

TRENDING THREADS