• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

ray j willings said:
Matteo. said:
ray j willings said:
I
You Landa dream boys have no idea about cycle racing. Get on your bikes and start riding a bike up a mountain then comment. .
hahaha, you instead were a pro.who do you think you are ? for sure,not a pro for respect of the opinions of others.

anyway, we'll see. Maybe Landa is only a super domestique, maybe not. It will be the way of the Giro to say that and at the moment it is a little early to make easy conclusions

I'm someone whos go's out 5 /6 times a week and rides my bike. I am someone who has rode lots of the famous col's in a pretty fast time. My opinion is way more valid than a fat armchair critic who has no idea about the level between the best and the rest.

To Hayabusa , Because I have a different opinion does not make me a troll. Get over yourself.
Lets see when Landa hits the mountains and loses more time.
Want to bet a jersey? I say he will be at least 2 minutes behind the giro winner?
I'm prepared to back up my words are you?

Wrong and fallacious way to go. But not game over yet! Insert coin and try again.

Re:

gregrowlerson said:
I know it's a much tougher climb, but Landa was great on the sterato of Finestre last year. Maybe he will be the strongest of the GC men on the climb of stage 8.

Not sure about his descending though....

The sterrato is not good for him. He was good in la Finestre becouse it was at the end of the Giro and he was the strongest uphill, and la Finestre is a 1673 m climb, always hard...it is one of the thougest climb in cycling world...

Last year, except againts people like Hesjedal, the sterrato was even better for him, becouse more selective and less efect of the drag, easier to drop people, so sterrato is always better for the strongest.

Today is different, we cant compare today 570 climb with the 100 meters ones of the strade bianche, but as well we cant compare 570 with 1670 of la Finestre...very different. Not a good day for Landa, but he could manage to be with the favourites...

Re:

Red Rick said:
I'm starting to think that Landa has to improve somewhat quickly. He can't really afford to bleed time on stages like these, given that there's only a few stages really suited for him to take all his time back.

Doesnt really matter. A minute here, a minute there, there are enough stages to ruin others hopes if you simply are better, basically stages 13-20 minus 17.

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
I'm starting to think that Landa has to improve somewhat quickly. He can't really afford to bleed time on stages like these, given that there's only a few stages really suited for him to take all his time back.

Doesnt really matter. A minute here, a minute there, there are enough stages to ruin others hopes if you simply are better, basically stages 13-20 minus 17.

I agree, everything is important, but the real important thing for him is to be at his best in those key moments. There are very hard climbs where it is not seconds, it is minutes...

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

harryh said:
ray j willings said:
Matteo. said:
ray j willings said:
I
You Landa dream boys have no idea about cycle racing. Get on your bikes and start riding a bike up a mountain then comment. .
hahaha, you instead were a pro.who do you think you are ? for sure,not a pro for respect of the opinions of others.

anyway, we'll see. Maybe Landa is only a super domestique, maybe not. It will be the way of the Giro to say that and at the moment it is a little early to make easy conclusions

I'm someone whos go's out 5 /6 times a week and rides my bike. I am someone who has rode lots of the famous col's in a pretty fast time. My opinion is way more valid than a fat armchair critic who has no idea about the level between the best and the rest.

Do you have a Strava account (would be interesting to compare your numbers to mine who is nothing more than a fat armchair critic :eek: )

No It wouldn't . I ride my bike I don't need validation from a computer. Plus my bikes are very light and I don't need the extra weight and nonsense.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

lenric said:
ray j willings said:
Matteo. said:
ray j willings said:
I

To Hayabusa , Because I have a different opinion does not make me a troll. Get over yourself.
Want to bet a jersey? I say he will be at least 2 minutes behind the giro winner?

Wrong and fallacious way to go. But not game over yet! Insert coin and try again.

I'm not wrong and Landa will be at least 2 minutes behind the winner.
Game was over soon as the race started.
Landa is 2nd rate climber like Porte. He's Sky cannon fodder.

ray j willings said:
lenric said:
ray j willings said:
Matteo. said:
ray j willings said:
I

I'm not wrong and Landa will be at least 2 minutes behind the winner.
Game was over soon as the race started.
Landa is 2nd rate climber like Porte. He's Sky cannon fodder.
Your opinions are very odd and are never backed up by any evidence, or even common sense. Explain how he is a "2nd rate climber." Did you watch any of the races he has raced in in the past year or so?

Yes. A 2nd rate climber quite often beat (an albeit not-in-great-form) Contador last year. A 2nd rate climber finished 3rd in the Giro, and was morally 2nd. A 2nd rate climber won the Vuelta queen stage. I understand completely what you are saying.

You cannot compare Porte and Landa. Porte has never done well in any Grand Tour, bar the one where he took like 20 minutes in a break. He has never won a GT stage, let alone a queen stage. He has never out climbed the best in a GT, even if they weren't in good form. LRP is an all rounder; Landa is a pure climber. LRP is a one week stage race beast; Landa isn't, but is much better over three weeks.

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:

Depends on if he wants to go solo or not. If he's going in a small group, his closest competitors are likely to be there. Sky don't have the team to wreck the peloton to pieces in a way that it is every man for himself, which is what Landa needs, provided he's the strongest uphill.

I'm thinking the Giau is probably the best place for a longer solo escapade

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:

Depends on if he wants to go solo or not. If he's going in a small group, his closest competitors are likely to be there. Sky don't have the team to wreck the peloton to pieces in a way that it is every man for himself, which is what Landa needs, provided he's the strongest uphill.

I'm thinking the Giau is probably the best place for a longer solo escapade

There was nothing he wanted more last year than to go solo. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case for Aru and Martinelli.

Giau, the MTT and Lombarde, heck maybe even Bonette at stage 20 seems like the best bets, yes.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Landa not responding to attacks and following his own pace at the start of the climb.
As effective as these Skyesque techniques might be, I don't like it when they are applied to Landa.

I sincerely think that the way he is running in this week of the Giro has nothing to do with Sky, or Sky tactics. He is just going day by day.

The inmediate explosive effort of today catched him a little bit offside, but once he got going he looked pretty comfortable.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Improvements!

Pretty sure he still will light this Giro up and win it in the most beautiful fashion.
Wanna do an avatar bet of Landa vs. Nibali?
If Nibali wins you wear a Nibali avatar
If Landa wins I wear an avatar of your choice.Okay?
If one of them crashes and gets injured/abandons bet is invalid.
From the end of Giro to the start of the Tour?Deal?

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Forever The Best said:
Valv.Piti said:
Improvements!

Pretty sure he still will light this Giro up and win it in the most beautiful fashion.
Valv.Piti is already engaged in an avatar bet for the Giro with me. :p

CheckMyPecs said:
Forever The Best said:
Valv.Piti said:
Improvements!

Valv.Piti is already engaged in an avatar bet for the Giro with me. :p
Then for the whole Tour.Good?