• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 69 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 25, 2009
Visit site
coinneach said:
What on earth was he thinking about, riding on the front for th last 2 kms?
Basic error, unless you are promised the stage?

Maybe he thought he needed to be leading going through the final corner?

He'd have won if Nibali hadn't taken it better and got up the inside

Re:

Ataraxus said:
He made only one mistake. By pulling without getting Nibali's word that he wouldn't sprint in the final.
I don't think he would have got that word anyway. Nibali needs bonus seconds where he can find them, no Italian stagewin so far, it's the most prestigious stage of la centesima, no way he was gonna give that away.

Re: Re:

kingjr said:
Ataraxus said:
He made only one mistake. By pulling without getting Nibali's word that he wouldn't sprint in the final.
I don't think he would have got that word anyway. Nibali needs bonus seconds where he can find them, no Italian stagewin so far, it's the most prestigious stage of la centesima, no way he was gonna give that away.
Plus he knew Nibbles wanted the win for Scarponi.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

SafeBet said:
kingjr said:
Ataraxus said:

Then he shouldn't have taken a single pull, let Quintana join, rest his legs a bit more and then take his chance in the sprint.
Still the mistake was by starting to pull with Nibali.

Ataraxus said:
SafeBet said:
kingjr said:
Ataraxus said:

Then he shouldn't have taken a single pull, let Quintana join, rest his legs a bit more and then take his chance in the sprint.

Of course Landa should have pulled - He'd back himself to sprint better than Nibali.

Re:

Red Rick said:
The last line to the finish was really technical. Landa didn't screw himself over by pulling before sprinting. He screwed himself over by not taking the last turn close enough to the barriers

100% this. He obviously wanted to swing those last technical corners in the first position. At least I immediatly understood it that way. Kinda make me think of Strade Bianche finish when you need to be first near the 300, and so on, last meters.
He proves that on his day he is hell of a remarkable climbing goat.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

yaco said:
Ataraxus said:
SafeBet said:
kingjr said:
Ataraxus said:

Of course Landa should have pulled - He'd back himself to sprint better than Nibali.

What logic is this? If he didn't pull he'd still be the best sprinter among the three and much more rested.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

Krokro said:
Red Rick said:
The last line to the finish was really technical. Landa didn't screw himself over by pulling before sprinting. He screwed himself over by not taking the last turn close enough to the barriers

100% this
. He obviously wanted to swing those last technical corners in the first position. At least I immediatly understood it that way. Kinda make me think of Strade Bianche finish when you need to be first near the 300, and so on, last meters.
He proves that on his day he is hell of a remarkable climbing goat.

Time and causality are linear dear posters. The natural flow of events is.
1-Don't pull and try to negotiate.
then
2- Try to sprint better than your opponent.

If Landa hadn't pulled he might have been rested and might have won even by taking that last curve wrong, hence the primal and biggest mistake was the starting of pulling with Nibali. That affects any other event and makesany other mistake he made less relevant.

Jolene said:
myrideissteelerthanyours said:
Scarponi said:
Yet to hit the mythical form that's spammed in every thread yawn

All it takes is a few encouraging words form Taxus and I'm back on board that hype train every single time.

Where is Taxus? :confused:
He was temporarily banned for not using spellcheck which led to massive mispronounciation over the time. Sadly enough, I haven't read him since. :(

TRENDING THREADS