• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
Didn't Sean Kelly used to ride (and win) Paris Roubaix and then fly to Spain and start the Vuelta straight away
Those were the days !!!

In 1984 he got second in RVV on April 1st, travelled to Spain and dominated País Vasco from Monday to Friday, winning three stages and the overall. Then he travelled to Compiègne and won Roubaix on Sunday. Crazy Stuff. And in 1987 he repeated it in exactly the same way.

Max Rockatansky said:
HelloDolly said:
Didn't Sean Kelly used to ride (and win) Paris Roubaix and then fly to Spain and start the Vuelta straight away
Those were the days !!!

In 1984 he got second in RVV on April 1st, travelled to Spain and dominated País Vasco from Monday to Friday, winning three stages and the overall. Then he travelled to Compiègne and won Roubaix on Sunday. Crazy Stuff. And in 1987 he repeated it in exactly the same way.

Brilliant rider and what I like about him is he is so complimentary in his commentary to riders who haven't a 10th of his talent...He appreciates all riders and seems to have little ego himself but he definitely had the hunger

Re:

Carols said:
Wow that stinks. Is the Sky program to intense for him? Others haven't held up well under it when they started also. Or it could be adjusting to following directions, not his strength to date.

Or he could just have been, you know, ill, like loads of other riders are at this time of the year?

Sometimes the most simple explanation is the most likely one.

Re:

Ricco' said:
So Landa only started training again today?

I would say no Strade Bianche for him, and T-A is probably too soon to be competitive.

https://twitter.com/MikelLandaMeana/status/704242173622022145

Yeah, I make it about 3 weeks off the bike for him. Certainly 2 and a half anyway. Probably Catalunya is the most likely race for his debut because Sky usually just prefer riders to train rather than race if they are not even close to their best level.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Tirreno was gone anyway wasn't it? He really was supposed to start at Andalucia after all. So he in fact may have been ill with the flue. Like many Spaniards apparently this winter.

Yeah, best scenario for him is to get a solid block of training in over the next 3 weeks and then go to Catalunya to ride for Froome. As long as he has no further set backs before the Giro then he should be absolutely fine in May.

JRanton said:
staubsauger said:
Tirreno was gone anyway wasn't it? He really was supposed to start at Andalucia after all. So he in fact may have been ill with the flue. Like many Spaniards apparently this winter.

Yeah, best scenario for him is to get a solid block of training in over the next 3 weeks and then go to Catalunya to ride for Froome. As long as he has no further set backs before the Giro then he should be absolutely fine in May.
His first tiny peak was supposed to be Basque anyway.

Let's wait and see. Basque Country is gonna be a reference in many ways, for many riders it seems.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

JRanton said:
Carols said:
Wow that stinks. Is the Sky program to intense for him? Others haven't held up well under it when they started also. Or it could be adjusting to following directions, not his strength to date.

Or he could just have been, you know, ill, like loads of other riders are at this time of the year?

What riders? Outside of Sky...

Mr.White said:
JRanton said:
Carols said:

Purito for one. It seems the Spanish based riders are the ones who have suffered (a lot of posters on here have also confirmed that there is flu going around in Spain). I believe Landa, Intxausti and Kwiatkowski were all at a training camp together in Calpe when they fell ill.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Landa last year and i like to observe and review many times some races, was a surprise. He looker at least at the Giro stronger than Aru, and honestly i think he could have made Contador live much harder than it was ( even if we know it was hard, very hard). He looked superb in mountains, and i think he really can be a Grand tour Winner, but...

But, not everyone is a leader, and sometimes riders that seem that can win a GT never do it... I don´t know how is gonna act as a leader, and how he will react with the attacks of Niballi and Valverde in some kind of days. If it´s just climbing, i think is really good, but that´s not enough...

I will pay much attention to him this year... I really like him.

JRanton said:
Mr.White said:
JRanton said:
Carols said:

Purito for one. It seems the Spanish based riders are the ones who have suffered (a lot of posters on here have also confirmed that there is flu going around in Spain). I believe Landa, Intxausti and Kwiatkowski were all at a training camp together in Calpe when they fell ill.

I got the flu then and I am still suffering, although I take mi bike, becouse in northen Spain we are in the snow, and in Landa village has snowed these days.

I think there is alot of flu in Spain becasue of the weather but Intxausti & Kwait have recovered (well they must have if riding Strade Bianche & P/N ) but Landa looks like he is still ill...and I think that may have to do with his training and maybe trying to be super thin

Did you see the SKY team on the platform at Valencia ...I have never seen so many thin legs in my life ...

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Re:

HelloDolly said:
I think there is alot of flu in Spain becasue of the weather but Intxausti & Kwait have recovered (well they must have if riding Strade Bianche & P/N ) but Landa looks like he is still ill...and I think that may have to do with his training and maybe trying to be super thin

Did you see the SKY team on the platform at Valencia ...I have never seen so many thin legs in my life ...

Wondering more if his Cytomegalovirus has come back? There's been some pics of him recently on twitter and he doesn't look Sky-esque lean.

TRENDING THREADS