• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
I've been a following Mikel Landa since before he hit a cow or was hit by a cow(s) in the Dauphine 2011. I should say Landa was one of several climbers on the Basque team that I liked. Sad for a fan to see Nieve and Landa now handcuffed on team Sky. I'm guessing the pay is too good to pass so....priorities. Even then, I wonder in some cases if too much spirit is lost when one cashes in childhood cycling dreams for a steady, consistent paycheck. It's a solid decision but a bit dull to remain passionate and motivated over time, maybe. Then again my hopes for Landa, Nieve, certainly Anton, may have been too high in the first place. :eek:

I would buy into the idea that Mikel Landa considered himself better than Fabio Aru at the Giro 2015 -- and it's easier, if settling for limited choices, if you believe your leader is confident and knows what he's doing.

Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
Poursuivant said:
liamito said:
He will do Vuelta also :surprised:

Really? That seems too much to me

Where did you read he was doing the Vuelta ??

I doubt it..after 2 GT and this is a very hot race. SKY have several riders with no grand tour in their legs lined up to do this race

- Mikel Landa (ESP/Sky):
"Un día inolvidable. Froome es un tío humilde, tranquilo y todo lo que ha conseguido ha sido a base de trabajo y humildad. El Sky tiene un bloque muy bonito, yo he llegado a última hora y me han acogido muy bien. Voy a correr la clásica de San Sebastián y después la Vuelta a España"

http://eldia.es/agencias/8793860-CICLISMO-TOUR-Declaraciones-protagonistas-ultima-etapa

HelloDolly said:
Poursuivant said:
liamito said:

I doubt it..after 2 GT and this is a very hot race. SKY have several riders with no grand tour in their legs lined up to do this race
He never did the full Giro and ain't got much race days before it anyway. Dauphine & Tour plus Vuelta just like Heras at US Postal did. Main favorite for me until it turns out that he's only stage hunting. Contador is one year older again and there ain't no very long time trial whe he potentially wins 4 minutes on Landa again. Quintana might be more dangerous of in serious shape. But never say never with a big champ like Contador ofc!

We might see the 2 best pure climbers plus the former best climber of the world going against each other on a super hilly course actually. Sounds very promising. Actually it just misses Aru let go the Olympics and trying to save his season in Spain for a 2015 Giro re-match plus Quintana. Hopefully Vino mails Aru some letters the next days.

staubsauger said:
HelloDolly said:
Poursuivant said:
liamito said:

He never did the full Giro and ain't got much race days before it anyway. Dauphine & Tour plus Vuelta just like Heras at US Postal did. Main favorite for me until it turns out that he's only stage hunting. Contador is one year older again and there ain't no very long time trial whe he potentially wins 4 minutes on Landa again. Quintana might be more dangerous of in serious shape. But never say never with a big champ like Contador ofc!

We might see the 2 best pure climbers plus the former best climber of the world going against each other on a super hilly course actually. Sounds very promising. Actually it just misses Aru let go the Olympics and trying to save his season in Spain for a 2015 Giro re-match plus Quintana. Hopefully Vino mails Aru some letters the next days.
Landa the main favorite? He already has 1½ GT in his legs, and he wasn't very impressive in either of those. In fact he's been pretty mediocre all year. I don't think he'll ever reach the level of the best GT riders tbh.

staubsauger said:
pablopaul said:
staubsauger said:
Is he really gonna be at Sky in 2017!? Somehow I highly doubt it!

Why do you say that? He's got a contract for 2017, no?
This relations was so unfruitful that I ain't gonna be surprised if another team like TJ Sport Consultation or Movistar buys him out of contract.

He might just stay at Sky of course and fight back.

Injury and illness are to blame, he was extremely well placed to win the giro pre barbecue and the hip problem kept him out of the Vuelta. He's clearly a more powerful rider than last year, I expect a great year in 2017.

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

staubsauger said:
pablopaul said:
staubsauger said:
Is he really gonna be at Sky in 2017!? Somehow I highly doubt it!

Why do you say that? He's got a contract for 2017, no?
This relations was so unfruitful that I ain't gonna be surprised if another team like TJ Sport Consultation or Movistar buys him out of contract.

He might just stay at Sky of course and fight back.

You realise that he suffered through the hip injury through most of the Tour, right? And sticking him and Ryder and others on the same plane as stomach flu-ridden Cancellara probably wasn't the most clever move the Giro ever did, looking at how many riders came down with stomach flu during the race.

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Every rider will have an off-season in his carrer. Like Froome 2014, like Contador 2013, like Nibali 2015...

Landa, Kwiat, Intxausti and König were injured or ill nearly the whole season. It's very unlikely that it will happen again next year. Nevertheless you saw the real quality of Landa in this season. He won the queen stage at Pais Vasco, he won Trentino easily and showed an awesome TT at Giro being the Number 1 favourite to win this race at the first rest day. After his withdrawal he showed a really good 12th place at Dauphine, as a helper for Froome. Maybe the best rider there who didn't come fresh from a trainingscamp. In the Tour it was all about winning the yellow jersey with Froome.

A good December, January, February and March next year and he will be ready to win the giro. And this time he will have a really strong team there. Landa - S.L Henao - Rosa? - Nieve - Seb. Henao - Intxausti...

boasson said:
Every rider will have an off-season in his carrer. Like Froome 2014, like Contador 2013, like Nibali 2015...

Landa, Kwiat, Intxausti and König were injured or ill nearly the whole season. It's very unlikely that it will happen again next year. Nevertheless you saw the real quality of Landa in this season. He won the queen stage at Pais Vasco, he won Trentino easily and showed an awesome TT at Giro being the Number 1 favourite to win this race at the first rest day. After his withdrawal he showed a really good 12th place at Dauphine, as a helper for Froome. Maybe the best rider there who didn't come fresh from a trainingscamp. In the Tour it was all about winning the yellow jersey with Froome.

A good December, January, February and March next year and he will be ready to win the giro. And this time he will have a really strong team there. Landa - S.L Henao - Rosa? - Nieve - Seb. Henao - Intxausti...

I think Rosa is set to stay one more year with Astana.
Landa, Intxausti, Nieve, Kennaugh(he wants to ride the Giro), Boswell, Moscon, Puccio, Knees, Viviani and Sky should annihilate the Giro.
Save Sergio Henao for TdF.
Sebastian didn't convinced me in the last 2 years.

Sounds like a good team for the Giro. Who would be the plan B in case Landa gets sick or injured? Nieve? Might be worth taking Poels or Sergio Henao instead of Boswell.

Really hope Landa can bounce back. Is a joy to watch when on song.

Re:

dastott said:
Sounds like a good team for the Giro. Who would be the plan B in case Landa gets sick or injured? Nieve? Might be worth taking Poels or Sergio Henao instead of Boswell.

Really hope Landa can bounce back. Is a joy to watch when on song.

No. TdF is way more important for them. If Landa fails, than Nieve is a safe bet for KoM and stages, and Inxtausti can top 10.

Well, Poels says he is ready for GT leadership, and that can only mean the Giro realistically. Could be a battle between him and Landa for the Giro leadership. Not sure that the Vuelta team will have done themselves any favours, with the exception of Lopez and maybe Kennaugh (Konig was strong too but...)

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Re:

dastott said:
Well, Poels says he is ready for GT leadership, and that can only mean the Giro realistically. Could be a battle between him and Landa for the Giro leadership. Not sure that the Vuelta team will have done themselves any favours, with the exception of Lopez and maybe Kennaugh (Konig was strong too but...)

Co-leadership between those two in the Giro might be a good idea, keeping the pressure off both of them.

Re:

lenric said:
What has Poels done to deserve co-leadership? I really don't know what he has achieved that may suggest he can perform better than Landa GT-wise.

Agree, from what he's shown so far he's like a poor version of Porte. Great domestique and can handle himself well in week long stage races, but in a GT a bad day is always just around the corner.

Poels should focus on the Ardennes really. He's already got one amazing result at LBL and has done well at FW as well.

TRENDING THREADS