• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 90 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Landa always seems to get a free pass. Complained at Astana. Complained at Sky. Nothing satisfies this guy. You would guess from his demands that his palmares include multiple GT wins. I know it may sound like I hate Landa, but that's not true. He's a delight to watch. I just wish i didn't have to hear him (and his fans) grovel so much.

I'm a little bummed that Landa signed for Movistar instead of going to a team that doesn't already have a big leader for the Tour, and as others have already pointed out his race schedule in 2018 will probably look a lot like it did in 2017.

Unfortunately, he didn't go to a team that has some good pieces in place but no big leader and we're not going to see what this guy can really do with a good team built around him at the Tour de France.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Durden93 said:
Landa always seems to get a free pass. Complained at Astana. Complained at Sky. Nothing satisfies this guy. You would guess from his demands that his palmares include multiple GT wins. I know it may sound like I hate Landa, but that's not true. He's a delight to watch. I just wish i didn't have to hear him (and his fans) grovel so much.
He's been very unlucky too. He could have easily won the Giro at Astana if he did not have Aru and he could have easily won the Giro this year if he did not fall.

Re: Re:

franic said:
Durden93 said:
He's been very unlucky too. He could have easily won the Giro at Astana if he did not have Aru and he could have easily won the Giro this year if he did not fall.
This year? Dunno. But certainly last year was his golden chance. It might come again next year, but then he needs to succeed.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

franic said:
Durden93 said:

I have to disagree. He started the Motirolo with a minute advantage over Contador and couldn't hold it. As for this year, Dumoulin's incident lost him two minutes, so he was unlucky as well.

Durden93 said:
franic said:
Durden93 said:

I have to disagree. He started the Motirolo with a minute advantage over Contador and couldn't hold it. As for this year, Dumoulin's incident lost him two minutes, so he was unlucky as well.
He had to ride Aru's pace, which was even slower than Kruijswijk, to not drop him. Contador would've had a hard time closing that gap if Landa was going on his own rather than babysitting Aru who eventually got dropped by Trofimov.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Durden93 said:
franic said:
Durden93 said:

Maybe you forget that Martinelli was stopping him every single time but the last day because Aru was the captain. There was no comparison between Landa and a very mediocre Contador on the mountains

franic said:
Durden93 said:
franic said:
Durden93 said:

Maybe you forget that Martinelli was stopping him every single time but the last day because Aru was the captain. There was no comparison between Landa and a very mediocre Contador on the mountains
That's a great exaggeration. What is it even based on? Contador having one bad day on the Finestre or Contador losing time on Aprica because he had to make up a minute on the Mortirolo?

I have no doubt Landa was his equal, but it's really hard to guess how big the difference was. Landa got free reign at Campitello Matese and gained a grand total of 15s.

Landa is such a moaner...So SKY was too controlling and now he is off to Movistar...em same gig ... He is leader at Giro at both teams...what is his gripe....He really has a very high regard for himself....he must have been reading this thread

The man has not won a GT and he will be 28 soon.... So he can climb...em so can alot of riders
And he didnt pull Froome anywhere ....Nieve was a better Dom this year , as was Kwaito and Moscom
In fact he has had more support at SKy ...they had him as leader at 2 Giros and he had a free reign at the Tour this year ...lets see if he gets that at Movistar

Being a Tour winner is more than just being a good climber

franic said:
Durden93 said:

You have to think carefully before you use term "easily won" in this case, because nothing suggest that would be the outcome!

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

staubsauger said:
Durden93 said:
franic said:
Durden93 said:

He had to ride Aru's pace, which was even slower than Kruijswijk, to not drop him. Contador would've had a hard time closing that gap if Landa was going on his own rather than babysitting Aru who eventually got dropped by Trofimov.
if contador hadn't fallen landa would never win that giro... he only gained time on mortirolo and madonna because astana had 2 cards to play and contador started the mortirolo one minute behind... what about stage 18? landa can't close the gap to contador. what about cervinia? he can't drop contador. the only stage when he was able to put time (in normal circunstances) on contador was stage 20. And I will repeat, if contador hadn't fallen in stage 6, he would never be threatened by astana.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
Landa neither was allowed to close the gap to Contador on stage 18,nor to drop him on stage 19 to Cervinia because of Aru. In fact he wasn't even allowed to win the stage and a well deserved mountains jersey at Sestiere because of Aru!
what??? he wasn't allowed to close the gap??? why?
landa did many attacks before aru's attack and contador was able to follow him very easily. please, don't disturb the facts

portugal11 said:
staubsauger said:
Landa neither was allowed to close the gap to Contador on stage 18,nor to drop him on stage 19 to Cervinia because of Aru. In fact he wasn't even allowed to win the stage and a well deserved mountains jersey at Sestiere because of Aru!
what??? he wasn't allowed to close the gap??? why?
landa did many attacks before aru's attack and contador was able to follow him very easily. please, don't disturb the facts
Yeah. He wasn't allowed to close the gap, because Aru was struggling at the back of the chasing group. If Landa had mad his move to hunt down Contador and Hesjedal, Aru would've been dropped by Andrey Amador, Kruijswijk and Trofimov. So Astana set a constant pace to not risk Aru's podium chances instead of fully chasing Contador. I remember that very well, because Leclercq was very upset about that action that day and eventually he still is up to this day. He refers to it like every time he talks about Landa.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Blanco said:
franic said:
Durden93 said:

You have to think carefully before you use term "easily won" in this case, because nothing suggest that would be the outcome!
It sounds differently in english than in my mother tongue. I wanted to say that, absent the fall, he could have easily been one of the contenders of the Giro.

Re:

glassmoon said:
I actually think that he will be Movi's leader for TdF next year...
Hopefully not. That would be an unwise decision IMHO. With Dumoulin & Nibali not riding he's the hot favorite to win the pink jersey with his climbing skills and his new found TT abilities. In fact it's Lana's race to loose, since there ain't no equal challengers to him on paper!

staubsauger said:
glassmoon said:
Hopefully not. That would be an unwise decision IMHO. With Dumoulin & Nibali not riding he's the hot favorite to win the pink jersey with his climbing skills and his new found TT abilities. In fact it's Lana's race to loose, since there ain't no equal challengers to him on paper!
Giro field could be seemingly lacklustre.

Landa
Zakarin
Aru?
Thomas?
Bernal?
Pozzovivo?
One of Orica
Kruijswijk?

Either Lopez or Fuglsang with a decent chance of a podium finish I guess!

Unless the Tour route heavily favors Bardet once again. In that case I expect Dumoulin to target the Giro once again which could lead to a nice battle with Landa.

If the Tour route favors Dumoulin to challenge Froome there's still the option that the idea of Bardet trying the Giro once might come back next year.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
With smaller teams and Demare getting a stage win at the Tour we could also see Pinot riding the Giro once again, but that's just speculation.
Landa has a good shoot at winning the Giro and in thhe end he already has a gt podium and just missed out on the Tour podium after riding a hard Giro before that, in the end he's probably a more proven gt rider than Porte.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Either Lopez or Fuglsang with a decent chance of a podium finish I guess!

Unless the Tour route heavily favors Bardet once again. In that case I expect Dumoulin to target the Giro once again which could lead to a nice battle with Landa.

If the Tour route favors Dumoulin to challenge Froome there's still the option that the idea of Bardet trying the Giro once might come back next year.
My guess is that Dumoulin won't hate the TTT to start with. I'm really expecting only a single ITT. If there's 2, I really think one of them is an MTT.

Red Rick said:
staubsauger said:
glassmoon said:

Landa
Zakarin
Aru?
Thomas?
Bernal?
Pozzovivo?
One of Orica
Kruijswijk?
I would add Formolo and Kelderman.

Red Rick said:
staubsauger said:
glassmoon said:

Landa
Zakarin
Aru?
Thomas?
Bernal?
Pozzovivo?
One of Orica
Kruijswijk?

Has Zakarin been confirmed for the Giro?

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Breh said:
Red Rick said:
staubsauger said:
glassmoon said:

Landa
Zakarin
Aru?
Thomas?
Bernal?
Pozzovivo?
One of Orica
Kruijswijk?

Has Zakarin been confirmed for the Giro?
Yes, apparently he'll ride Giro+Vuelta, at the Tour it will be all about Kittel.

TRENDING THREADS