• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 115 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I kind of think that the general level of climbing in that 2015 Giro where the hype around Landa took off, has been somewhat overrated and with it also Landa's own climbing ability and potential too. Main reason for that is Contador, who had just had his last great season the year before, which led to his fans and many others assume that he is at least close enough to that level in 2015 too. In hindsight, nothing suggests he was, even when that Giro crash was taken into account. Consequently when Landa was able to drop Contador on Aprica and specially on Finestre, the hype went through the roof with people speculating what he might do when actually allowed to ride for himself.
Aru won La Vuelta that year, and Landa out climb both him and Contador in that Giro. That's two out of three GT winners that year. Hype was justified.
Today he showed again what a fighter he is, form was not exactly there, but the will certainly is.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
I don't get why People hate so much on Landa. Yes, he wasn't the strongest since 2015 but the guy keep doing top5 on every GT he finished while not begin the strongest guy in the race. I think he's one of the most regular GC guy since 5 years. And at least, he's trying to blow up the race by putting all his team settings the pace yesterday and even attacked on today's stage while begin chased by one of the strongest team in recent years.

Dumoulin is another at risk of sliding into this camp. Hope he rights the ship and comes to wins more GTs but there’s a lot of young talent plus Roglic on his own team. It’s honestly hard to see a clear path to Tour victory for him if Roglic finishes this off. Two years ago he looked like the next Froome.
Dumoulin will probably have to go back to the Giro which he is capable of winning again.

I don't get why People hate so much on Landa. Yes, he wasn't the strongest since 2015 but the guy keep doing top5 on every GT he finished while not begin the strongest guy in the race. I think he's one of the most regular GC guy since 5 years. And at least, he's trying to blow up the race by putting all his team settings the pace yesterday and even attacked on today's stage while begin chased by one of the strongest team in recent years.
Media hype isn't hate. I never hated him but I thought his best GC days were in the past.

Reactions: Cookster15
Dumoulin has 1 Gt and 2 Podiums and WTT. Pinot has 1 podium and 1 monument whereas Landa has one podium. He had a chance to make it possibly 2 podiums but thru his own inattentiveness, he lost. All in all he has the worst palmares.
Dumoulin also plans his targets in advance which suit his ablities. He has chosen the Giro over TDF for TTs. Landa had no such choice due to his decisions

Good effort from Landa yesterday. He attacked, can't ask for much more.

Generally speaking, Mikel is not a great time trialler, but he has had some okay performances (2017 Giro?). He is still an outside chance to steal third. Needs more than 20 seconds on Porte and two minutes on Lopez; highly unlikely, but not unfathomable.

Anyway 125-1 is alright value in my opinion, though my predictions are also never a safe bet ;)

Aru won La Vuelta that year, and Landa out climb both him and Contador in that Giro. That's two out of three GT winners that year. Hype was justified.
Today he showed again what a fighter he is, form was not exactly there, but the will certainly is.

It is a bit simplistic to bring up the palmares and general reputation of Contador and Aru as an argument when my point stood on the premise Contador's level in that particular race was lower than many believed it to be despite winning it. Contador was the yardstick for evaluating Landas climbing level in that Giro and if he was weaker than thought to be, then at least some of that hype around Landa was built on wishful thinking.

It's too bad he isn't riding Vuelta, the master of the double GT peak. Hopefully we see him next year in the Giro again.
I think it was smart decision. He went really deep during the Tour, the pain was often visible on his face, which is unusual for him. Maybe the level was really high this year, maybe lockdown didn't help or maybe it was the first year with new team. Anyway I really hope the next year will be better for Landa.

I agree that he should try to win the Giro, he probably can podium the Tour but his attacking style is really wasted and contained by the trains in France.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
I think it was smart decision. He went really deep during the Tour, the pain was often visible on his face, which is unusual for him. Maybe the level was really high this year, maybe lockdown didn't help or maybe it was the first year with new team. Anyway I really hope the next year will be better for Landa.

I agree that he should try to win the Giro, he probably can podium the Tour but his attacking style is really wasted and contained by the trains in France.
4th place in this years tour had been a very good result for him and I think it´s more or less the optimum that he can reach with his potential at the tour. Because of his time trial ability he has few chances to defeat Roglic and Pogacar in the next years.

So I agree that he should focus on the giro and the vuelta next year. Perhaps there he has better chances to win a grand tour.

He doesn't have any businesses left in TdF. This year was the best opportunity for him and he was beaten by Richie Porte and barely beat Enric Mas in a year where Bernal DNF-ed and Quintana who looked rock solid in the spring had health problems.

I expect next year for him to ride Giro and fight for a podium. Not so sure that he's GT winning material. Evenepool will eat for him breakfast and I rate Carapaz better than him at this moment.

I don't get this. On one hand I can understand, this might be Landa's best shot at a GT victory ever. Although we had a similar feeling in 2019 and he wasn't even on the podium, but OK. But to put the whole team of very strong riders completely at his disposal, it's not a very smart decision IMO. The same happened at last year's Tour. We are talking about very strong individuals here, who can also do big things on their own. Pello Bilbao is a top 5 contender himself and he needs to work for Landa? I don't buy this. I hope they are going with a 1A, 1B approach. Also having Mohorič for the n-th time riding strictly as a domestique is a sacrilege. Every time he had any kind of freedom, he won a stage. Let him do his thing. Free the man! For the others I can understand why, although I wouldn't mind Caruso going for the stage win a couple of times.

Gorazd Štangelj really is one of the worst DSes in pro cycling. He was terrible when he was at the head of Slovenian national team. I wouldn't trust his decisions.

I like Landa, but he has had his chances and has never delivered. He still deserves to lead a team in a GT of course, but in this time of his career, I don't think he deserves a full team for his GC ambitions. To me, his GT career has been very similar to the one of Kruijswijk. I often compare those two when I'm trying to rate GC riders. I probably rate Landa's ability a little higher. Both very good riders, who can podium if everything goes right for them. But they are not GT winning material. Well, Bahrain has made the decision and it looks like Landa is going to have perfect conditions to make me look dumb. I'd actually like to see that.

Reactions: SafeBet and Bolder

I don't get this. On one hand I can understand, this might be Landa's best shot at a GT victory ever. Although we had a similar feeling in 2019 and he wasn't even on the podium, but OK. But to put the whole team of very strong riders completely at his disposal, it's not a very smart decision IMO. The same happened at last year's Tour. We are talking about very strong individuals here, who can also do big things on their own. Pello Bilbao is a top 5 contender himself and he needs to work for Landa? I don't buy this. I hope they are going with a 1A, 1B approach. Also having Mohorič for the n-th time riding strictly as a domestique is a sacrilege. Every time he had any kind of freedom, he won a stage. Let him do his thing. Free the man! For the others I can understand why, although I wouldn't mind Caruso going for the stage win a couple of times.

Gorazd Štangelj really is one of the worst DSes in pro cycling. He was terrible when he was at the head of Slovenian national team. I wouldn't trust his decisions.

I like Landa, but he has had his chances and has never delivered. He still deserves to lead a team in a GT of course, but in this time of his career, I don't think he deserves a full team for his GC ambitions. To me, his GT career has been very similar to the one of Kruijswijk. I often compare those two when I'm trying to rate GC riders. I probably rate Landa's ability a little higher. Both very good riders, who can podium if everything goes right for them. But they are not GT winning material. Well, Bahrain has made the decision and it looks like Landa is going to have perfect conditions to make me look dumb. I'd actually like to see that.

Land and Remco will tie for the win to make you feel double the dumb ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts