• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 116 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't get why people recently started to treat Bilbao as top 5 candidate with outside shot on the podium. Sure he has excellent durability but his climbing level isn't high enough, especially for this route. 2020 field was probably the worst one I have ever seen, although I do wonder if he could fight for the win without doing Tour. Anyway Bilbao's a great rider but to me reality is that he is a candidate for lower top 10 spots under normal circumstances.
I agree about Mohoric, to some extent. Hope he can get his chance on Gorizia stage.

To me, his GT career has been very similar to the one of Kruijswijk. I often compare those two when I'm trying to rate GC riders. I probably rate Landa's ability a little higher. Both very good riders, who can podium if everything goes right for them. But they are not GT winning material.
Unlike Landa, Kruijswijk actually looked like winning during one of his GT's though. Granted, the stars aligned for that to happen, but I don't see Landa ever going as far as Kruijswijk did in that 2016 Giro...

Reactions: Sandisfan
Struggle to understand the lack of belief in at least the possibility of Landa winning this Giro. I mean, he's proven that his strong over three weeks over a number of years, and is coming off a fourth in the TDF. Maybe his good days aren't quite good enough, but he never has really bad days. With continued consistency and a little luck, a long awaited return to the podium is realistic (and victory possible).

We don't need any "in the bag" sarcasm in this thread :)

Unlike Landa, Kruijswijk actually looked like winning during one of his GT's though. Granted, the stars aligned for that to happen, but I don't see Landa ever going as far as Kruijswijk did in that 2016 Giro...

In his defence I think under normal circumstances in 2016 and 2017 he would've been really close. In 2017 he was majestic in the mountains after his fall and in 2016 he got ill while being in a great position after the ITT.

Imo, he's one of the big three favourites of this year together with Simon Yates and Bernal.
From what I saw I think Yates is the favourite and he and Bernal are joint favourites for 2nd. Given that he's extremely consistent I would not be surprised if he wins it. Yates has a tendency to lose time in some stages, and Bernal back is not 100 resolved.

He said he is in one of the best shapes of his life. Maybe not the best, but close, and I think is true.
If Bernal doesnt have back problems at the end of the Giro, he will have problems to win it, becouse there is a final ITT, and we talk of a Tour winner But the only one who can do a super stage in the dolomites as Froome did, is Landa.
Finestre is not in the Dolomites and no, Landa doesn't have the engine to do what Froome did.

But he can consistently be the best climber of the Giro and win the race, in case Bernal's back gives him problems.

He said he is in one of the best shapes of his life. Maybe not the best, but close, and I think is true.
If Bernal doesnt have back problems at the end of the Giro, he will have problems to win it, becouse there is a final ITT, and we talk of a Tour winner But the only one who can do a super stage in the dolomites as Froome did, is Landa.
I need to remind you that you are in the Landa thread. Or am I missing something?

TRENDING THREADS