• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

Page 129 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think today's final climb was too easy for Landa and he had no one up the road to help if he attacked on the 2nd last climb
He hasnt go the speed of Carapaz or Hindely so he needs to have a very long steep steady climb at the end ...not what we have had this Giro imo
Even tomorrow the biggest climb is not at the end of the stage and this does not suit Landa

I also wonder about Bahrain and support ...do they know what to do for the best ?

Landa is getting alot of stick but he cant beat Carapaz and Hindely in the last 3km of a so so climb and he cant go early without support in the valleys

Landa is doing Giro-Tour double. Since he has that podium spot almost guarranteed, i'm wondering if that's the reason he doesn't want to risk it all and waste energy for nothing. What do you think?

If he is saving himself for a GT where he'll face 53 km of time trial, it's even more dumb that I thought.

He should go to the Tour to win stages and the KOM, not for another random top-10 placing.

I think today's final climb was too easy for Landa and he had no one up the road to help if he attacked on the 2nd last climb
He hasnt go the speed of Carapaz or Hindely so he needs to have a very long steep steady climb at the end ...not what we have had this Giro imo
Even tomorrow the biggest climb is not at the end of the stage and this does not suit Landa

I also wonder about Bahrain and support ...do they know what to do for the best ?

Landa is getting alot of stick but he cant beat Carapaz and Hindely in the last 3km of a so so climb and he cant go early without support in the valleys
He lost his explosivety that he had until about 2019. So is more difficult to make separations.

Bahrain could have played better tactics with Poels, Bilbao and Buitraggo but the route doesn't help with this.

Reactions: HelloDolly
Unfortunately for Landa he has no finishing kick whatsoever and has been left wanting whenever the big favourites have began their dash for the line.
Similarly he has no surge/acceleration to get away during the climbs.
It's very difficult to see what he can do.
Is he a daring descender? Not particularly, really.
Maybe the only option he really has is an epic slog/grind over a couple of climbs, but what an effort that would take and I can't see him shaking off the two leaders with this almost suicidal tactic.
He will have to do a Chris Froome to win and rides like that are once in a generation.

Reactions: HelloDolly
Landa has been one of the best climbers in the sport since he heralded himself at this race years ago. But I don’t get the mythical hype? What has he done since 2015 that justifies the love? Unless I missed something in this stage (which I didn’t watch) I say Landa is not a better climber at this race than Carapaz or Hindley despite the best efforts of Bahrain. All evidence suggests this will likely be confirmed again on stage 20.

Landa has been one of the best climbers in the sport since he heralded himself at this race years ago. But I don’t get the mythical hype? What has he done since 2015 that justifies the love? Unless I missed something in this stage (which I didn’t watch) I say Landa is not a better climber at this race than Carapaz or Hindley despite the best efforts of Bahrain. All evidence suggests this will likely be confirmed again on stage 20.
3 words: Po ten shul

He clearly didn't have the legs, that's why Bahrein wasn't riding a big tempo on the first 2 climbs.
I really hope he ride the Vuelta instead of the Tour, but he always seems to be better when riding the Tour in Giro-Tour double.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts