• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Milan San Remo route unchanged

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
skidmark said:
Wha? This is a debate about MSR, not between MSR and some other races. I can't speak to Afrank's interests, but for me, if I didn't like MSR I would watch those other races (and I will anyway), but I do like MSR, I just like it better with something like La Manie. I love that MSR has had a good balance between sprinters, small groups and solo escapees challenging for the win. It's the 'spice of life' that you speak of within a single race. With the Pompeiana, I think it would have been too hard or predictable (no chance of a sprint), without the Manie I'm worried it might be too far in the other direction (more chance of a sprint than not). It seems to me like you're taking a simplified (not to mention incorrect) premise that MSR is a sprinters' race and if you don't like a sprint go watch something else, but I don't think that's the case at all. The race itself can be many things, and has been.

I grossly over simplified there and I apologise.

Milan - Sanremo isn't historically a race for sprinters, and it has been crying for a route change sin the late 90's becouse bunch sprints are now a plague in Sanremo.

After last year race and the route discussions that followed we made this graphic. It's pretty much self explanatory.

grupos-msr-english-backup-copia.png

When bunch sprints become too common, a new climb near the end was added. Le Manie was good abd it provided racing from 100km to go, but maybe not enough. Without Le Manie and Pompeiana the route sucks ***.

Pompeiana, tough, isn't the only option to add difficulties near the end, and is probably not the best either. To me, Civezza before Cipressa, and Castello and Brande di La instead of Mele and Cervo are better options.

Alassio - Sanremo with Civezza

alassio-sanremo.png

http://tracks4bikers.com/tracks/show/87116

Alassio - Sanremo with Castello and Brande di La

alassio-san-remo-por-castello-y-bande-di-la.png

Great graph, Viskovitz. Thanks for that :)

Just some comments: in my opinion, Andrei Tchmil in 1999 and Filippo Pozzato in 2006 won alone. The peloton was classified in the same time but they held them off, the former thanks to a late attack, the latter after countering Ballan on the Poggio.

In 1965, the organizers added the Ponte de Merlo. It was the only year they added it. There were roadwork on the Aurelia, that was why. The Milan-Sanremo route was hard enough, they didn't feel the need to keep it. I think it would be better than the Maniè and the Pompeiana though.

Between 2000 and 2002, they dropped the Turchino, too. Which explained the first real unavoidable sprints.

Let us remember that by 1998, Alberto Elli attacked down the Poggio descent and was on his way to winning it. Zabel had no teammates left. Only he probably paid Gabriele Colombo to catch Elli back. Shameless.

Edit: Problem for 1988, I think. Fignon and Fondriest were with the two of them.

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Good decision. To me a return on the via Roma is all the change the course needs. No need to add too many climbs keep La Manie and the Poggio, if you really want to add la Pompeiana, take away the cipressa then. don't want to turn MSR into a subdued ardennaise.

veji11 said:
Good decision. To me a return on the via Roma is all the change the course needs. No need to add too many climbs keep La Manie and the Poggio, if you really want to add la Pompeiana, take away the cipressa then. don't want to turn MSR into a subdued ardennaise.

Agreed. If the riders actually race, the Cipressa and the Poggio are all that is needed after 280+ km. Hopefully the punchier guys with a sprint attack rather than just letting the sprinters teams control things.

TRENDING THREADS