• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Milano - Sanremo 2023, one day monument, March 18

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So you think its the best race on the calender?
So you'd rather watch MSR than Flanders or Roubaix?
You dont think the race is explosive, but boring up until that point?

I don't get what exactly you're disagreeing on based on you thinking the same as me - its not a good watch until the last hour.

I am disagreeing with the opinion that it not being a good race for most of the time diminishes it in any way and leaves it as something not to be excited for in the days leading up to it.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
The boredom is exactly what makes Sanremo so special and one of the most beautiful races. There is no race on earth where you can build so much tension, euphoria and relief as that one turn to the right where the sign says ''Poggio di Sanremo''. No climb will have you more on the edge of your seat than Poggio. 7 hours of watching paint dry forgotten and diminished in approx. 5 minutes and 30 somewhat seconds.

Turgis really is always a factor in Sanremo.

So I hope now he podiums RVV and achieves Top10 in Roubaix.

His endurance, race-reading, instinct, power and sprint are excellent. The best rider Total Energies‘ squad has, together with Latour.

That's a lot of insight you got from yesterday where we didn't see him.

Okay, fair enough, especially his 2021 was impressive but apart from his second place in MSR last year (in which he demonstrated the attributes you mention, apart from the sprint) he has been quite lacklustre since.

the video interview here is quite something

He says about his attack: "I was quite surprised we were away with a few as I was only following wheels. I wanted to attack sooner but couldn't find the right moment to go over the top so it was a bit later. In previous MSR's I was counting too much on my sprint. And then I was cursing after the race I didn't try something. Sometimes you just have to gamble and go. And I felt still super strong".

Basically it comes across as Pogacars attack literally did not phase him at all. He was surprised only a few could follow.

Reactions: Barnacle Bill

He says about his attack: "I was quite surprised we were away with a few as I was only following wheels. I wanted to attack sooner but couldn't find the right moment to go over the top so it was a bit later. In previous MSR's I was counting too much on my sprint. And then I was cursing after the race I didn't try something. Sometimes you just have to gamble and go. And I felt still super strong".

Basically it comes across as Pogacars attack literally did not phase him at all. He was surprised only a few could follow.

And when you hear Van Aert say that he was just counting down the metres to the top of the Poggio, doing everything he could to follow Pogi's wheel and then being blown away because Van der Poel could attack in that moment, it does become very exasperating to read lots of people explaining how this was yet another mistake by Van Aert. He was simply beaten by a better man on the day.

MVDP showed yet again when he is on top form he is unmatched and what a way to do it. Head to head vs the biggest watt monsters and he cooked them all leaving zero doubt hes a lvl above them when hes on form after this performance.

Pogacar and van aert said it best themself the speed and power he had at the top there on that speed already to even get away is frankly scary. Best san remo edition in decades!

And if you later find out that something interesting happened earlier, you can always watch it on replay on demand, right?

You can always find the exact moment of interest, if you're so inclined. Or just watch the highlights, where the interesting bit will likely be included.
No point in sitting down and watching 7 hours of non-live cycling. No point in sitting down and watching 30 minutes of non-live cycling. (Unless the highlights are 30 minutes, but how often does that happen, for any race?)

And when you hear Van Aert say that he was just counting down the metres to the top of the Poggio, doing everything he could to follow Pogi's wheel and then being blown away because Van der Poel could attack in that moment, it does become very exasperating to read lots of people explaining how this was yet another mistake by Van Aert. He was simply beaten by a better man on the day.
He definitely made a positioning mistake, but it didn't cost him the win. Might be the difference between finishing #2 and #3 though.

Interesting points about his preperation. I agree. He probably focused more on explosivity for the CX, and he hadn't taken the rest to recover from his road training block before Strade and Tirreno.

why not bring La Manie back into the race? Given the current peloton, that would provide a nice thinning of the field, possibly allowing for longer range attacks over the final capi (which is a legit climb, similar to some of the LBL climbs of 1.5km at 7%) and Ciepressa before the Poggio. Would keep the race from being 5 and a half hours of nothing, followed by 45 minutes of action

why not bring La Manie back into the race? Given the current peloton, that would provide a nice thinning of the field, possibly allowing for longer range attacks over the final capi (which is a legit climb, similar to some of the LBL climbs of 1.5km at 7%) and Ciepressa before the Poggio. Would keep the race from being 5 and a half hours of nothing, followed by 45 minutes of action
I don't think long range attacks is much of an option, even with Le Manie back. Cipressa is too easy and the flat section between Cipressa and Poggio is too long. The far most plausible way would be to add a steeper climb instead of or just before Cipressa.

I don't think any race has mandatory watching from before the last 60km.

What this race needs is a womens race before it, just like Strade Bianche. So you can watch like 2 hours of one race and then 2 hours of the other. It would be a much better use of time and terrain than just a boring 6 hours or so of live coverage of nothing happening. Covering this race in full, as well as flat Tour stages, was the worst idea ever, I feel for the commentators.

Reactions: ChewbaccaDefense
Is there an option of a climb between Ciepressa and Poggio?
Yeah, Pompeiana. It were to be included in 2014, but the road was deemed unsafe, so they removed it again. It could be added to the race like in the profile below, or it could replace Cipressa.

sanremo14-profile620.jpg

It would also have been possible to add Civezza before Cipressa.

civezza-porto-maurizio.png

Reactions: Lequack
Yeah, Pompeiana. It were to be included in 2014, but the road was deemed unsafe, so they removed it again. It could be added to the race like in the profile below, or it could replace Cipressa.

sanremo14-profile620.jpg

That would be a GREAT finish

May even get Rog and Remco to show up if that is the finish and have a solid early season showdown. Also wouldn't totally keep the WVAs out of contention as the climbs are generally in the 3 to 5% range (first 3.1km of the Ciepressa being the steepest at 6.1%)

Don't think the Cievessa would be needed. The final capi is enough (it's actually the steepest climb of the entire race)