• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Milano - Sanremo: March 20, 2021

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Stuyven! Well deserved. The 'Big three' just not good enough.

Poel again bad positioning. He had to come from too far to follow Wout and Ala on Poggio. And when he started his sprint he was also too far back. Wout did this much better. Bad positioning is often related to bad legs. But MVP showed on Poggio that he could bridge that gap pretty fast. So he wasn't that bad. But still it did not have that extra-terrestrial feeling to it.

Sagan and Ewan both impressive. Did not expect them in the top 5.

Sure, finishing after Stuyven, Ewan, WVA and Sagan shows that he really has a bad sprint.
he opened up the sprint (well Alaph did), kinda similar to Van Aert in Tirreno. It was a last ditch effort from VDP to go full from long.

I get the feeling he doesn't particularly like this race either. What I can't understand is why he starts the Poggio in 25th position. That cost him more than anything.
Tbh a win for VDP never looked on the cards today. 100 man on Cipressa is a bad sign for punchers.

Nice win by Stuyven, should be talked about much more. Perfectly timed attacked. Played it smart with Kragh.

Reactions: Sandisfan
My 3 takes

1. Ewan was the strongest
  2. Sagan is returning to form
  3. TA was such a tough race it took the edge off the big three.
I think van Aert was the strongest, he had to take a detour around van der Poel in the sprint and still only got beaten by Ewan by a noselength. He was also doing more work than Ewan. I didn't really feel van Aert lost an edge since TA.
But Ewan was very strong, never expected that, and probably (imho) 2nd strongest. His presence and how good he looked certainly had a huge impact on the chasing group.

Stuyven! Well deserved. The 'Big three' just not good enough.

Poel again bad positioning. He had to come from too far to follow Wout and Ala on Poggio. And when he started his sprint he was also too far back. Wout did this much better. Bad positioning is often related to bad legs. But MVP showed on Poggio that he could bridge that gap pretty fast. So he wasn't that bad. But still it did not have that extra-terrestrial feeling to it.

Sagan and Ewan both impressive. Did not expect them in the top 5.
it doesn't have the ET feeling because the Poggio is simply too easy. When the speed is high you can't "out accelerate" anyone so much as he did in Strade Bianchi where it was 18% and start speed is low.

I don't think this race suits him as much as we think it does.

i think alaphillippe,van aert and van der poel need to start attacking sooner, not 500m from the top

van aert was riding very defensive race, apart from that half-a55ed "attack" at the top he was just marking, and van der poel was too far behind on poggio and in the sprint

they are too good to just see how the race goes

Reactions: Breezy1985
Just seems a bit odd to me to pull the nominally faster sprinter, but maybe there was no space for tactical games.
Under normal conditions, Stuyven is much faster, but as you can see, Stuyven had a huge gap and still SKA bridged very fast. You could see Stuyven bonk big time. SKA probably thought he had better odds beating a cooked Stuyven, than against a fresh Ewan, van Aert and van der Poel... wouldn't you?

TRENDING THREADS