• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Milano - Sanremo: March 23rd, 2019

Springtime is coming to Europe. Birds are singing, flowers are in bloom. It's time for the most nervous of classics again: Milano - Sanremo. Will it be another sprint or can someone repeat Nibali's stunt of last year? The Cipressa and the Poggio di Sanremo will spike the final again, followed by a swift descent and a flat finish.

SRM_19_alt_jpg.jpg

SRM_19_finale_jpg.jpg

SRM_19_Cipressa_jpg.jpg

SRM_19_Poggio_jpg.jpg

SRM_19_ukm_jpg.jpg

Recent winners:
2009: Mark Cavendish
2010: Oscar Freire
2011: Matthew Goss
2012: Simon Gerrans
2013: Gerald Ciolek
2014: Alexander Kristoff
2015: John Degenkolb
2016: Arnaud Démare
2017: Michal Kwiatkowski
2018: Vicenzo Nibali

My favourite race of the season. :)

Peter Sagan finally imo. He may not be in top form yet, but that's not always necessary considering how much of a gamble Milan-San Remo is, and could even be helpful if he doesn't go all-out on the Poggio following whoever goes first or isn't forced to take responsibility on the flat.

I'm always so thrilled when MSR is approaching.
That slow build up with coastal views and guessing which rider has good legs, the Capi with maybe an early attack, the furious pace on the Cipressa, the Poggio with a last chance for finisseurs and the chaotic sprint.

Can't wait for it.

You could divide the favourites into three groups:

*Uphill punchers:
Nibali, Alaphilippe, Kwiatkowski, Moscon, Bardet...

*Sprinters:
Viviani, Gaviria, Démare, Ewan, Groenewegen, Bennett...

*Climber-sprinters:
Sagan, Valverde

A fourth group could be the finishers with an attack in the final 2 km, like Cancellara and Tchmil, but I don't really see who could do that this year.

The fact that they reduced the teams from 8 to 7 helped Nibali a lot last year. The weaker sprinter trains, the better chance for the late pursuiters. It makes the race a lot more open.

If you reduce it to 6-rider teams, even fruitful attacks on Cipressa becomes possible.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

Pantani_lives said:
Possibly, I haven't seen a start list from Team Sky yet.
provisionally
211 MOSCON Gianni
212 BASSO Leonardo
213 DOULL Owain
214 KNEES Christian
215 PUCCIO Salvatore
216 ROWE Luke
217 STANNARD Ian

I am wondering what Bora will be doing in this race. With Bennet in possibly form of his life and Sagan possibly without form. Sagan never been in situation that he has someone in his team with reasonable chance to win monument. Will be great for him to catching attackers an then telling them not contributing because he has a sprinter back. But that is not gonna happen in million years. :lol: My guess is that they will be considering who is the leader according to Sagans feelings deep in the race. Maybe they will be sprinting against each other :D

Re:

Keram said:
I am wondering what Bora will be doing in this race. With Bennet in possibly form of his life and Sagan possibly without form. Sagan never been in situation that he has someone in his team with reasonable chance to win monument. Will be great for him to catching attackers an then telling them not contributing because he has a sprinter back. But that is not gonna happen in million years. :lol: My guess is that they will be considering who is the leader according to Sagans feelings deep in the race. Maybe they will be sprinting against each other :D

Surely they'll just let Sagan have a free role and follow attacks and keep Bennett for any bunch kick? It makes their position much stronger than it has been previously and Sagan's job easier.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
The fact that they reduced the teams from 8 to 7 helped Nibali a lot last year. The weaker sprinter trains, the better chance for the late pursuiters. It makes the race a lot more open.

If you reduce it to 6-rider teams, even fruitful attacks on Cipressa becomes possible.
I really just want Le Manie back.

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
WheelofGear said:
Poggio is not an explosive climb.

A time trialist or classics rider with a nice kick has just as much of a chance, if not better, of getting away than a puncheur.
Poggio is explosive if it's not ridden hard in the first half. The only half steep part is near the top.
For a Poggio attack, I'm thinking more the likes of Naesen, Trentin, Keukeleire, Stuyven, Cort, Roelandts, Van Aert and other semi-fast classics guys who will get be beaten on the line by the more pure sprinters.

If some of these guys are willing to risk a top 10 for a chance of victory, they could pull it off.

TRENDING THREADS