• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Milano - Sanremo: March 23rd, 2019

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
I have a gut feeling that his form is much better than what most people think. Perhaps not good enough to launch an attack like two years ago, but enough to be able to follow.

I agree, he's sandbagging. Might even work considering he has a legitimate threat with Bennet in his team to back him up (should the opportunity arise).

Maybe he's learning, something Cancellara never managed to do.

tobydawq said:
Salvarani said:
tobydawq said:
search said:
I think giving Alaphilippe 5 stars is reasonable (in the same way Sagan used to get them over the past years). Great shape, great on the climbs, great decender, great sprint. Whether he'll win or not, is a different story of course, bu he is the one with the least questionmarks above his head.

I mean, Bennett has never even come close to making the finale, let alone winning the race, and Sagan has not done so in good form, how is he supposed to be the favorite off-shape?! Personally I can't think of anyone I'd rate higher than Alaphilippe.

The most probable scenario is a sprint. Alaphilippe would be lucky to be top 8 in a sprint. Ergo, he can't be the biggest favourite in my mind.

I think they put him as a 5-star because every imagined scenario. Ala probably at least is in contention for the win. And tbf he did beat Viviani, Sagan and Gaviria in a sprint. And is in great shape.

But yeah, if it is a bunch sprint and all the best sprinters are there. The chance is small that he will win.

I just see Sagan beating Alaphilippe in every scenario. Especially because Alaphilippe probably won't play the Viviani card if they are away after the Poggio like he played the Gaviria card two years ago.

I like Sagan, so I hope you are right. It is a question mark behind if he is in form though, or if he just been gearing up to peak for his targets in all these races coming up. Hoping for the latter.

tobydawq said:
search said:
I think giving Alaphilippe 5 stars is reasonable (in the same way Sagan used to get them over the past years). Great shape, great on the climbs, great decender, great sprint. Whether he'll win or not, is a different story of course, bu he is the one with the least questionmarks above his head.

I mean, Bennett has never even come close to making the finale, let alone winning the race, and Sagan has not done so in good form, how is he supposed to be the favorite off-shape?! Personally I can't think of anyone I'd rate higher than Alaphilippe.

The most probable scenario is a sprint. Alaphilippe would be lucky to be top 8 in a sprint. Ergo, he can't be the biggest favourite in my mind.
This logic is a bit flawed. Yes the most likely scenario is a sprint and Alaphilippe of course won't win in that scenario, but that doesn't mean that he can't be the biggest favorite.