• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Milano - Sanremo: March 23rd, 2019

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nothing goes backwards more quickly than Tom Dumoulin trying to sprint.

Really easy edition of MSR, the attackers didn't cooperate at all, and the bunch wasn't near. I wouldn't be surprised if it's gonna be a while before we see another bunch sprint for the win

benzwire said:
I didn't realize Nibali was there too. What a group in the finale. Multiple grand tour winners, world champions (road and cyclocross), etc. What a finish!

A great change from the usual script, right?

Anyway, I've been pulling for Alaphilippe ever since he won on Mount Baldy in 2015. But at this point he's way better than I ever thought he'd be. Does he still have anything left for the Ardennes next month?

Re:

Alaphilippe, what a champion. He's been the strongest thus far in the season, he was the favorite, was the first to attack and won the sprint like a boss.

The first of many monuments. Chapeau!

Very good perfomances by Mohoric, Van Aert and Naesen too. Valverde in the top10 as I predicted, he'll win it in 2023.

alspacka said:
Bit of a disappointing sprint considering the strength of the group, lots of nerves and hesitation, but a decent edition nonetheless and Alaphilippe marches on.
Not sure what more you expect from a sprint in such a group. Half those dudes made that group on talent and being on the right wheel when their peak this season is gonna be a few weeks to a month from now.

drc

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Man, why Kwiato stayed so far back in the last kilo? For a rider that is considered one of the smartest another example of dumb. Ala just too strong. Naesen nice surprise!

alspacka said:
Bit of a disappointing sprint considering the strength of the group, lots of nerves and hesitation, but a decent edition nonetheless and Alaphilippe marches on.
Try sprinting after 300 km. I saw someone say 'lethargic' - lol.
Kudos for Nibali for the valiant title defence. Naesen really strong, Kwiatek and Sagan a bit surprisingly so. Van Aert never even climbed the Poggio, so that's not a bad performance. Mohoric will win classics quite soon, no doubt.

There is your 5-star super rider, it's clear now I admit, initiating the party in Poggio and winning the sprint. The names in the winning group should be enough to make it a satisfying edition.
And Sagan wouldn't know what to do still if he ride 100 MSRs, almost paranoid, pulled and got boxed in the end.

So why exactly hasn't Valverde tried harder (or just tried) earlier in his career when he had a better sprint? Its a monument after all, and a straight-forward race.

Best Poggio + finale I think I have seen of this race, but I don't think 10 km of proper action is good for a monument. When the attackers win anyways, why not throw Le Manie so at least get a more interesting race before the Poggio?

TRENDING THREADS